Former players coming to Seth’s defense

Jonnyeagle

4 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I will tell you 9 out 10 times players will always stand up for their coach. They know the sacrifice it takes to be there day in day out. They hate losing just like the rest of us, but calling out the coach can be like calling out the players. See the Benford or Mcarny issue. Players loved them still. 

Edited by Andrew
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

4 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Neither should be acceptable.  Its ok to raise our standards.

Texas raised their standards when they let Mack Brown and Rick Barnes go, Kansas did the same thing with Mangino, Tech with Leach, Michigan with Carr, and the other UT with Phil Fulmer. Every one of them would take a mulligan.

Like it or not, Seth is the best coach we have had in 40 years.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 4
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 5

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Texas raised their standards when they let Mack Brown and Rick Barnes go, Kansas did the same thing with Mangino, Tech with Leach, Michigan with Carr, and the other UT with Phil Fulmer. Every one of them would take a mulligan.

Honest question…based on what objective standard?  

• Upvote 3

4 hours ago, TIgreen01 said:

This is all true.  
What is also true is that if we beat a top 20, undefeated nutsack next week  Wren cannot fire SL.  It’s simply an untenable position to take.

I totally disagree. Marshall fired Doc Holliday shortly after he finished leading his team to a 7-4 record and earning the C-USA Coach of the Year honor.

So, firing Seth is not untenable. We simply have to raise our expectations at UNT and demand more from our athletic department.

https://www.al.com/sports/2021/01/doc-holliday-conference-usa-coach-of-the-year-out-at-marshall.html

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

35 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Dodge's problem was never the university. In his mind he was too good to care, he was too elite to be concerned. He didn't review film, evaluate players on the roster, didn't review Dickey's assistant coaches, and didn't even look to see what players may have already committed to the North Texas program. He traversed atop liquid. His excrement had no aroma. He lived in some mental la-la-land where he magically became a Division 1 head coach but didn't want to be interrupted while coaching his high school dynasty to another championship.

Why concern himself with that North Texas job while he's going to Washington to be the fawned upon guest of President Bush?

Why review a roster so severely deficient of lineman, both offensive and defensive, when you're the guy known for your flashy skill position players?

Why, Oh God, how could anything be allowed to take precedence over the almighty commitment to Under Armour? That perky little perk quickly became the tail that wagged his dog.

Easy-peasy, he had no reason to be concerned, why should he care. He's Todd Dodge and the angels sing when his name is mentioned.

He could coach at North Texas for a couple of years, win a few championships, then ascend to his entitled position as leader of the Longhorns. Such a simple plan.

Only problem was he had to win games, and his aloof leadership was soon getting North Texas destroyed on a biblical level. Ability was no substitute for effort, even for the self anointed new emperor. He was exposed on his very first day when his only victory was his ability to deplete Oklahoma of fireworks. 

He wound up sacrificing his career, and his son's dreams (and well being) to his own personal vanity. Thank goodness he had a very forgiving wife whose family was in a position to resurrect his self destructed career.

Not sure where your Historical perspective comes from, but it is apparent your inside knowledge must come from "hear say" and not direct knowledge!!!!

• Upvote 2

Just now, Cr1028 said:

I’m sure FIU would trade places in a heartbeat.

Only because we are going to the American. FIU was smart enough to fire their coach.

If they want to trade places I'll email them the number for Seth's agent. The fact that we all know they have zero interest in hiring Littrell away from they have no interest in trading places.  And because they've fired their coach, they're already ahead of us in their rebuild.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, 9299 said:

Not sure where your Historical perspective comes from, but it is apparent your inside knowledge must come from "hear say" and not direct knowledge!!!!

I can’t speak for @ADLER but my inside knowledge comes from watching one of the most (if not the most)inept coaching displays I have ever seen.  He wasn’t simply outclassed, he was beaten like a red-headed stepchild by opposing coaches.  

His defenses didn’t know how to tackle…because they didn’t practice it.   When he finally got rid of his buddy Mendoza, the DC who replaced him was quoted as saying “first I gotta get the pu$$y out of these guys” because the defense was so soft.  

I watched, live from about 20 yards away, an opposing player laugh at our defensive alignment prior to scoring on the EXACT SAME play he had previously scored on.  Oh, and that team’s coaching staff openly laughed at Todd Dodge and his assistants on the radio show after the game.  

Some coaches are never out of any game…he was seldom in one.  His in-game decisions were the stuff of legend, and not in any way that can be remotely called positive.  

If he wasn’t ASTRONOMICALLY arrogant…then the results he produced only leave two other options.   Cosmically stupid, or criminally incompetent.  

Also, I notice you appear to be new.   I swear it's like Todd Dodge is “Bloody Mary”, say his name five times and his apologists will be summoned.  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Yes, because we have won here with SL like the aforementioned coaches won at the respective programs named. Going under .500 is not good enough. IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT THE PREVIOUS COACHES DID. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

If they want to trade places I'll email them the number for Seth's agent. The fact that we all know they have zero interest in hiring Littrell away from they have no interest in trading places.  And because they've fired their coach, they're already ahead of us in their rebuild.

This! 👍🏾👍👍🏼👍🏿  I am not as militant as Joe but it is dang disappointing that many of us are defending Seth at this point.  At BEST he should be coaching to finish his contract this Saturday.  His record even if he wins has him the very definition of a mediocre coach at this level.  It only gets tougher here as we move up to AAC.  The best predictor of future performance is past performance and most of his past performance he has been right at 0.500.  He got an outlier short but awesome QB otherwise his record would be well below 0.500.  All the Excuses in year six are out of the window you’ve had plenty of good luck and bad over a that run.  It all balances out.   The UAB and UTSA programs have FREAKIN LAPPED us if this were a track meet.  Beat UTSA win the bowl game and come out blazing in 2022.  The ONLY reasons you keep Seth are 1, they win out and COULD be on the up swing 2, you don’t have a coach you highly prize available to replace him 3, you are saving money to have the best financial package to hire the next staff.  All 3 of those things have to be true to justify marching forward with Seth.  

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1