Former players coming to Seth’s defense

Jonnyeagle

I think all of this is moot. You can see the narrative that’s forming. 

Young team-figuring it out-didn’t quit-talent coming back next year-ignore the covid year

All that points to him coming back next year. Even though it’s under false pretenses when all he’s done is what he’s done his entire career here: lose to good teams, beat bad teams. 

I think the only way he’s gone is if we get embarrassed and blown out next Saturday. If he keeps it close or actually wins, I think he’ll be back. 

Then next season we could very easily win 9 games. This conference is a mess.  Our tough games will be SMU, UAB Memphis and UTSA. Odds are we go 0-4 in those games. Maybe 1-3. We should be favored in the other games depending on who we get in the east. Same ole same ole. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

The football culture among the UNT fanbase is so frustrating.  There is nothing Seth has done in 6 seasons to say we won't be bottom of the barrel in the AAC. 

I expect each of us will watch that season ticket check cash in Feb of 2023 while hoping teams like Tulane, Rice, and Memphis are bad instead of being comforted that our wins will come decisively and convincingly from our 8th year $2m paycheck coach.

• Upvote 4

What I can’t comprehend is how anyone can even think an SL team can beat UTSA or a bowl opponent (I.e. someone good)…the next time that happens will basically be the first time since we beat Army in his first season, before we lost to them again in the HoD Bowl later that season. I mean, we don’t just beat those good teams, we usually get walloped by multiple TDs. 

Maybe we change and beat an undefeated and ranked UTSA team that looks at is as their Super Bowl every year.  But I don’t see how…

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2

25 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

The point is that the replacement isn’t guaranteed to be better and in fact could be far worse.

That’s the same crap that was spewed around here when people were rightly saying RV should be gone. 

I’m in on taking the chance. To me, it doesn’t get much worse. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

30 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Quite the contrary, people tend to forget the first 3 years and focus only on these last 3. He has done a enough to have 2022. If you pull the trigger on the new coach and it doesn’t work out, you have now set the program back 4 years instead of 1. 

The first 3 years where Seth got lucky with a good QB and OC, yet still managed to get curb stomped by better teams and not bring home any trophies?

• Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 2

36 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

What I can’t comprehend is how anyone can even think an SL team can beat UTSA or a bowl opponent (I.e. someone good)…the next time that happens will basically be the first time since we beat Army in his first season, before we lost to them again in the HoD Bowl later that season. I mean, we don’t just beat those good teams, we usually get walloped by multiple TDs. 

Maybe we change and beat an undefeated and ranked UTSA team that looks at is as their Super Bowl every year.  But I don’t see how…

You do realize UTSA has more important goals right now than beating UNT? Make no mistake, Saturday is our Super Bowl. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

57 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

If Seth is replaced and the replacement does worse, would you admit that you put  your animosity towards Seth over what would’ve been best for the university?

No. Firing SL would be a risk. Things could be worse than with him. But it is a necessary risk to take. We know the ceiling. Its year 6 and SL has not been to within 3 touchdowns of winning a conference championship. And fear of failure should not be the reason to accept the opportunity cost of not taking a shot at at achieving what actually should be the standard.

That said, I am always willing to incorporate new data points, so if he beats this years conference champion or stays at least close at all times, maybe he indeed is on to something. I would however not bet on it.

Something else to think about: There will likely be less teams at the level of this years USM and FIU in the AAC. Gotta improve just to stay where you are.

Edited by outoftown
  • Downvote 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I think all of this is moot. You can see the narrative that’s forming. 

Young team-figuring it out-didn’t quit-talent coming back next year-ignore the covid year

All that points to him coming back next year. Even though it’s under false pretenses when all he’s done is what he’s done his entire career here: lose to good teams, beat bad teams. 

I think the only way he’s gone is if we get embarrassed and blown out next Saturday. If he keeps it close or actually wins, I think he’ll be back. 

Then next season we could very easily win 9 games. This conference is a mess.  Our tough games will be SMU, UAB Memphis and UTSA. Odds are we go 0-4 in those games. Maybe 1-3. We should be favored in the other games depending on who we get in the east. Same ole same ole. 

I think the blowout last night secured him for next year.

1 hour ago, Cr1028 said:

Wow, nothing says putting the program first like telling the team a 4 game winning streak is meaningless. It must suck to root for our own demise just for a change of scenery.

It also sucks to be happy with mediocrity.  And no one thinks its "meaningless".  They just don't believe that its indicitive of Seth turning the corner.  The problem isn't the losses.  Its the way the games were lost.  Lack of in game adjustments, stupid undiciplined penalties, etc.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

48 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

You have forgotten 66-7 then.

Is that your standard for firing a coach?

You’ve forgotten UAB, Marshall and Liberty.

If we played Sam Houston or another FCS team that was as good as that Portland St. team this season, an 0-7 start would have been very possible. 

You like to mention Seth’s first 3 years. Both Seth and McCarney took previously bottom feeding teams to 5 wins in their first seasons. They both had a 9 win season in year 3. Mac won a trophy, Seth hasn’t. Sounds pretty even. 

Year 5 Mac starts 0-5, gets fired, take out the Covid season, year 6 Seth starts 1-6, keeps his job. All the while Mac worked for a fraction of money Seth does. 

I don’t see much of a difference between Mac and Seth at this point.  

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Rudy said:

It also sucks to be happy with mediocrity.  And no one thinks its "meaningless".  They just don't believe that its indicitive of Seth turning the corner.  The problem isn't the losses.  Its the way the games were lost.  Lack of in game adjustments, stupid undiciplined penalties, etc.

Mediocrity beats the hell out of 1-11 for me.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1
  • Puking Eagle 2

1 minute ago, GRN-WHT said:

Is that your standard for firing a coach?

You’ve forgotten UAB, Marshall and Liberty.

If we played Sam Houston or another FCS team that was as good as that Portland St. team this season, an 0-7 start would have been very possible. 

You like to mention Seth’s first 3 years. Both Seth and McCarney took previously bottom feeding teams to 5 wins in their first seasons. They both had a 9 win season in year 3. Mac won a trophy, Seth hasn’t. Sounds pretty even. 

Year 5 Mac starts 0-5, gets fired, take out the Covid season, year 6 Seth starts 1-6, keeps his job. All the while Mac worked for a fraction of money Seth does. 

I don’t see much of a difference between Mac and Seth at this point.  

Seth has two 9-win seasons and a division title. McCarney put his relationship with an old teammate above the best interest of the team. Once DT was gone (who was Todd Dodge groomed), it was Iowa time. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

McCarney put his relationship with an old teammate above the best interest of the team. Once DT was gone (who was Todd Dodge groomed), it was Iowa time. 

You’re making my point. Regardless of how we got there, both coaches rode a hot QB and we’re unable to find a FBS level QB to replace them. 

• Sad 1