🦅🦅🦅North Texas - FIU💩💩💩 Official Game Thread

Professor Lambeau

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

Change for change sake, that typically works out well. I prefer to go with the one that is winning with underclassmen without making excuses or just mailing it in.

But it's not 'change for change sake' because it's been 6 seasons with 0 bowl wins, not winning games against teams in the top of our conference... And we're not even really winning with underclassmen - pending next weekend, we're ending this season with a sub .500 record. I'm sure he'll be back again next season or whatever, but he really shouldn't. Again, we're reaching for the bare minimum here. We've frequently been outcoached. Our S&C team does not prepare our players well. With our American conference big britches, we can afford a better coach in a monumental coaching-change year who can lead our budding underclassman team to greater heights that Littrell ever could.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Torrey, Johnson, Ragsdale, Adeyi and Nobriga proving Patrick Cobbs is a hell of a coach. 

If you not listening to the radio broadcast very nice story regarding Attaway and Nobriga. Attaway was going to take  one of the travel squad spots but he told the coaches to take Nobriga instead. Class move by Attaway. Makes you wonder why the coaches would not try to support a player practicing every day and giving a slot to someone who could not play?

• Upvote 5

4 minutes ago, untbowler said:

No SL has shown he is not the coach, but keep defending, it is all good. As for him taking a paycut, will never happen with his ego.

Year 6 and he has the same issues present in Year 1, he has not evolved. Tired of the same argument of team is young every year, just like the excuse with WBB, at some point all the injuries and transfer no shows need to be pointed at the HC. The lackluster Asst hires falls on the HC. 

Does not matter though, SL will be back next year barring a 70 pt loss to UTSA.

If he is not the coach, then we should have the same expectations for a new coach as we did when Seth arrived to rebuild a team that went 1-11 and lost to Portland State 66-7. I hope that next coach makes $750k for those meager 1-11 expectations. 

• Confused 2
  • Puking Eagle 1

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

If he is not the coach, then we should have the same expectations for a new coach as we did when Seth arrived to rebuild a team that went 1-11 and lost to Portland State 66-7. I hope that next coach makes $750k for those meager 1-11 expectations. 

Why would we have those expectations?

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, denton_days said:

But it's not 'change for change sake' because it's been 6 seasons with 0 bowl wins, not winning games against teams in the top of our conference... And we're not even really winning with underclassmen - pending next weekend, we're ending this season with a sub .500 record. I'm sure he'll be back again next season or whatever, but he really shouldn't. Again, we're reaching for the bare minimum here. We've frequently been outcoached. Our S&C team does not prepare our players well. With our American conference big britches, we can afford a better coach in a monumental coaching-change year who can lead our budding underclassman team to greater heights that Littrell ever could.

It isn’t always the coach, neither Jimmy Johnson nor Nick Saban could win consistently with the Dolphins and they are 2 of the GOATs.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

Just now, Cr1028 said:

Because according to Bowler, Seth hasn’t moved the needle or improved this program from when he arrived.

He did in years one and two but has stagnated. Recruiting is better, but that is more Walrius than Littrell. Doesn’t beat good teams, loses the big games, etc.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

It isn’t always the coach, neither Jimmy Johnson nor Nick Saban could win consistently with the Dolphins and they are 2 of the GOATs.

Is it the players? Could none of our active NFL alumni pull it off? I mean he's had multiple different classes. He's tried with Dickey's squad and did alright, and he tried with his squad he recruited and didn't. Is it because our administration has a problem? Or the staff he hired? When has Littrell proven he was the goat? Those two already had 'GOAT' moments before they took on that job. Maybe Seth will have the next Alabama at his next gig, but it doesn't seem like it will happen here.

Edited by denton_days
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Then, in our case, what is it?

Our program is viewed by outsiders as a career killer, much like Kansas. Seth was one of the hottest up and comers and now flamed out, just like Dickey and Dodge. Our best hope is for Seth to win next year to the point where he gets hired away so that stigma goes away too.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3
  • Puking Eagle 2

Just now, Cr1028 said:

Our program is viewed by outsiders as a career killer, much like Kansas. Seth was one of the hottest up and comers and now flamed out, just like Dickey and Dodge. Our best hope is for Seth to win next year to the point where he gets hired away so that stigma goes away too.

That's not true of the leadership and coaches in C-USA who were polled this year about the best programs in the league. We've posted the results a lot, but we've invested in a lot and our admin have proven that we're the place to be. American conf didn't pick us for any good reason. 

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, denton_days said:

Is it the players? Could none of our active NFL alumni pull it off? I mean he's had multiple different classes. He's tried with Dickey's squad and did well, and he tried with his squad he recruited and didn't. Is it because our administration has a problem? Or the staff he hired? When has Littrell proven he was the goat? Those two already had 'GOAT' moments before they took on that job. Maybe Seth will have the next Alabama at his next gig, but it doesn't seem like it will happen here.

My point is that thus far, nobody in nearly 50 years has proven you can win consistently at North Texas, nobody.

1 minute ago, denton_days said:

That's not true of the leadership and coaches in C-USA who were polled this year about the best programs in the league. We've posted the results a lot, but we've invested in a lot and our admin have proven that we're the place to be. American conf didn't pick us for any good reason. 

Were they referring to the athletic department or football program specifically? I’d bet on the former.

• Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Nobody had the facilities and resources afforded Littrell. Just stop it. 

And Littrell’s competitors didn’t have improved facilities over their predecessors? Get real man, we don’t operate in a vacuum.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

My point is that thus far, nobody in nearly 50 years has proven you can win consistently at North Texas, nobody.

This is why Carthel is my top choice. A different path than we have followed. Has built up programs at lower levels and has worked with less and been successful. He also seems to have a fan friendly personality. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

8 minutes ago, denton_days said:

Is it the players? Could none of our active NFL alumni pull it off? I mean he's had multiple different classes. He's tried with Dickey's squad and did alright, and he tried with his squad he recruited and didn't. Is it because our administration has a problem? Or the staff he hired? When has Littrell proven he was the goat? Those two already had 'GOAT' moments before they took on that job. Maybe Seth will have the next Alabama at his next gig, but it doesn't seem like it will happen here.

Dickey's squad?

forget_it_he_s_rolling-DMID1-5hiej78ui-2

• Haha 4

Just now, Cr1028 said:

And Littrell competitors didn’t have improved facilities over their predecessors? Get real man, we don’t operate in a vacuum.

Dude, we were in Fouts and our athletic center was….oh, that’s right, we didn’t have one. We were using that building in the Fouts parking lot that Fry had built.  

Littrells competitors probably now have the same and the teams we should be beating, 10 year old programs and programs brought back from being disbanded, are kicking our ass.  We beat who we should, and aren’t competitive in the big games. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3

4 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Were they referring to the athletic department or football program specifically? I’d bet on the former.

Seriously? That's the hill your going to die on? Of course they were talking about the athletic department, but that very much so includes football. Pretty sure it ranks football success as number one or two. 

2 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

And Littrell’s competitors didn’t have improved facilities over their predecessors? Get real man, we don’t operate in a vacuum.

Pending the Traylor contract, we have the highest paid staff, newest facilities, and have been investing the most in our program, with some of the biggest C-USA plans. Second or third largest budget, biggest growing city, most fertile recruiting grounds....

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

This is why Carthel is my top choice. A different path than we have followed. Has built up programs at lower levels and has worked with less and been successful. He also seems to have a fan friendly personality. 

He is my top choice too, if we were to move on from Littrell, but I’d rather Colby have a clean slate going into the American. On that note, SFA blew out Lamar today. Great to see. 

• Upvote 1