La Tech new endzone plans, something UNT should do

Really really nice renderings of what looks to be a new plaza area in the endzone where it’s just the scoreboard right now.

With the Lightthetower plan and how they want to expand the AC, I think something like this with the 2 big scoreboards on the sides is something we should do. In the past I’ve been opposed to doing the smaller (ish) scoreboards, but these renderings looked great and I could imagine how nice it would be at UNT.

If not the small scoreboards, like we’ve talked about before, do the big one on the new expanded complex.

Just something I saw very interesting and nice.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Really really nice renderings of what looks to be a new plaza area in the endzone where it’s just the scoreboard right now.

With the Lightthetower plan and how they want to expand the AC, I think something like this with the 2 big scoreboards on the sides is something we should do. In the past I’ve been opposed to doing the smaller (ish) scoreboards, but these renderings looked great and I could imagine how nice it would be at UNT.

If not the small scoreboards, like we’ve talked about before, do the big one on the new expanded complex.

Just something I saw very interesting and nice.

The current renderings in the master plan already have this.   This looks great!   Looking forward to something similar.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I’d like something similar to this at App. State adjacent to an expanded Athletic Center & Apogee Stadium.
I can’t wait to see Wren Baker’s rendering  of what he wants to do with the aforementioned.
We are fortunate to have him, Neal Smatresk & others leading our parade in 🇺🇸Denton-Texas-America!🇺🇸

https://www.dpr.com/projects/kidd-brewer-stadium-north-end-zone

🦅

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

I've always liked the look of a stadium with one end "closed off".  I know we have the AC expansion in the master play.  Unfortunately, I think it's too far away to truly provide that closed off look.  Ideally, it should be multi-stories tall (providing additional luxury suite options) and closer to the action.  We have a road or pedestrian walkway between the AC and the stadium which puts it too far away IMHO.  Not complaining mind you, just sharing my wish-list if money was no object.  

5 minutes ago, keith said:

I've always liked the look of a stadium with one end "closed off".  I know we have the AC expansion in the master play.  Unfortunately, I think it's too far away to truly provide that closed off look.  Ideally, it should be multi-stories tall (providing additional luxury suite options) and closer to the action.  We have a road or pedestrian walkway between the AC and the stadium which puts it too far away IMHO.  Not complaining mind you, just sharing my wish-list if money was no object.  

Where were you thinking the expansion was going to take place?   There's a little room between the IPF and AC, but not really much to do anything.
They're not going to move into the parking lot...

The idea is to have an overlook into the stadium from the AC (which necessitates the removal of the big scoreboard, and a move Northward from the current AC footprint).  

https://www.lightthetower.com/athleticcenter.html

• Upvote 1
  • RV 1

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Where were you thinking the expansion was going to take place?   There's a little room between the IPF and AC, but not really much to do anything.
They're not going to move into the parking lot...

The idea is to have an overlook into the stadium from the AC (which necessitates the removal of the big scoreboard, and a move Northward from the current AC footprint).  

https://www.lightthetower.com/athleticcenter.html

Seems like they'd have to wipe out that driveway between the AC and the endzone to do that...unless they make the driveway go underneath the expansion.  Really can't tell much from that rendering.  I always assumed, when they built the AC, that that deck would overlook the endzone.  Very surprised when they built the stadium 30 yards too far away for that.

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1
  • Eye Roll 1

16 minutes ago, kj86 said:

Seems like they'd have to wipe out that driveway between the AC and the endzone to do that...unless they make the driveway go underneath the expansion.  Really can't tell much from that rendering.  I always assumed, when they built the AC, that that deck would overlook the endzone.  Very surprised when they built the stadium 30 yards too far away for that.

Betting there will be a deck off of the 3rd floor of the AC that will stretch over the driveway to still allow for trucks to get under there.   Should provide a fantastic view of Apogee!

• Upvote 1

I realize this is just a rendering, but I was going by this view.  It looks like this cantilevers over the road a bit and then there is a fairly significant walkway.  There is already quite a bit of space between the end zone (grassy area, etc.) and where the walkway would start.  The ultimate closed end would come as close as possible or even connect to the end of the stands on either side.  In this rendering, slide the yellow addition to the right even to the extent that it may cover the back end or take out the grassy berms.  Again, I realize this is nit picky, so don't take it for anything more than one person thinking out loud.  It's way too easy to play the if I had all the money in the world game.

Endzone.jpg.6cdb61b5e3bde4200c169ea19b98ab71.jpg

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I may be off based here but I believe I heard Wren say that the 2 scoreboards wouldn’t be that much smaller than the existing 1. 

That’s the plan, but there will probably be some type of High Def? A lot has changed with score boards  in 10 years.

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, keith said:

Endzone.jpg.6cdb61b5e3bde4200c169ea19b98ab71.jpg

All is well as long as it doesn't inhibit the ability to eventually expand Apogee seating to 50,000. We don't need it yet, but we will. It'll raise North Texas to Big XII capacity levels and create some separation from the Southland/Sunbelt/CUSA schools.

The mega-universities are all expanding to the 100,000 seat capacity level and anything under 50,000 is considered kiddy pool.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, ADLER said:

All is well as long as it doesn't inhibit the ability to eventually expand Apogee seating to 50,000. We don't need it yet, but we will. It'll raise North Texas to Big XII capacity levels and create some separation from the Southland/Sunbelt/CUSA schools.

The mega-universities are all expanding to the 100,000 seat capacity level and anything under 50,000 is considered kiddy pool.

I like the way you think!

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, ADLER said:

I think Washington State is only 35-40K

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, ADLER said:

M Night Shyamalan Servant GIF by Apple TV

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I think Washington State is only 35-40K

Absolutely not comparable.

They're a small school with an enrollment of 20,286 in rural Nowhere, Washington. North Texas is more than twice the size and in the metroplex, and we should certainly strive to outperform schools like that with attendance.

WSU only holds on because of conference affiliations and the associated paycheck. Without those, they're Big Sky material.

With the move to the American it's time for a giant leap forward for North Texas, and that begins with football. We need to be a natural choice to host P5 (Big XII) level schools.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

Kansas State and Oklahoma State are seeing their paychecks drastically reduced and their travel budgets drastically increased. Both recruit northern Texas heavily, have a large local alumni base, and have thousands of fans that travel for their teams. Non-conference games at North Texas would be a logical selection if Apogee had the capacity to host those kinds of crowds.

Unfortunately, in recent seasons, those schools have bypassed the metroplex and all it's natural advantages to play games in San Antonio's Alamodome because it can accommodate their fan base.

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Kansas State and Oklahoma State are seeing their paychecks drastically reduced and their travel budgets drastically increased. Both recruit northern Texas heavily, have a large local alumni base, and have thousands of fans that travel for their teams. Non-conference games at North Texas would be a logical selection if Apogee had the capacity to host those kinds of crowds.

Unfortunately, in recent seasons, those schools have bypassed the metroplex and all it's natural advantages to play games in San Antonio's Alamodome because it can accommodate their fan base.

Perhaps my memory needs refreshing, but when K-State came to UNT to play the final game at Fouts, I do not recall it being anywhere near a sellout.  If Fouts could easily accommodate K-State then, I don't know why Apogee couldn't now.

7 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Perhaps my memory needs refreshing, but when K-State came to UNT to play the final game at Fouts, I do not recall it being anywhere near a sellout.  If Fouts could easily accommodate K-State then, I don't know why Apogee couldn't now.

It's this exact kind of thinking that made us a perfect candidate to be knocked down to 1-AA;basing our future success against a decades old mark from one of our worst seasons when we'd already fired our coach.

People didn't go to Fouts because of the experience. Fans were incredibly far from the action on the field. We have a new stadium where all the acceptable seating (All except upper wing) has been sold out multiple times by essentially our own fans.

We're either planning for success or preparing for failure. I believe we have the leadership in place to raise the program to a new plateau. And yes, that does include expanding the stadium to attendance levels comparable to the future Big XII schools.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

I've mentioned this before, but we really have to think about the AC expansion. Building so close to the stadium will forever lock us into a horseshoe design, and unable to finish the full bowl. That also means no seats in a theoretical upper tier above the endzone too. Basically it better look outstanding to give up all of that future real estate. 

Edited by Green Otaku
  • Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1