Virginia Tech football: Coaching hot board

Coach Andy Mac

We’ve compiled the first version of our coaching board, which will feature several names, many of whom probably aren’t even under consideration. Still, their names have been bandied about through various outlets.

On Tuesday, athletic director Whit Babcock said he would prefer someone with head-coaching experience, and his previous hires in other sports indicate that line of thinking. We will still include some coordinators on this list for different reasons.

Herman, 46, is working as an offensive analyst in the NFL with the Chicago Bears this season. If you recall, he was a part of the 2015-16 hiring cycle that featured Fuente. Herman was hired by Texas and lasted five years before being fired in January. Herman checks some boxes, as he is an outstanding recruiter. Outside of that, though, he doesn’t seem like a natural fit at Virginia Tech. The new coach needs to fit the culture at Virginia Tech. That doesn’t feel like Herman.

read more:  https://www.gobblercountry.com/platform/amp/2021/11/18/22786837/virginia-tech-hokies-football-coaching-hot-board-version-1-0

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Clawson is a program-builder. He’s been outstanding at every stop, from Fordham to Richmond to Bowling and now with Wake Forest. He has the Demon Deacons at 9-1 in 2021. He runs a prolific offense and knows how to develop talent. This doesn’t feel like the move because Clawson doesn’t have the recruiting chops Virginia Tech seeks, and he seems extremely happy at Wake Forest.

Fordham to Richmond to Bowling Green is a similar career arc to Carthel if we were to bring him in from SFA.  Not saying he's my favorite, but to excuse a current FCS coach who is a proven winner and program builder would be a mistake, impo.  

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Seems like the article is saying half the coaches in college football are candidates for the VA Tech job.  I guess if you suggest enough names one is likely to hit and you can say "See, I told you so!"

The ole ESPN model. Have people take different sides or enough people guess different names so after-the-fact you can talk about how good your "insiders" are (and of course not mentions all of the ones who were wrong)

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Not related to VT (although I heard his name floated) but I got the text this morning that Sonny is headed to TCU.

Wow!   That would be a big deal around here.   

How do y'all feel about that (assuming, "it sucks")?   Who are some names that the SMU faithful would be interested in?

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Good scoop!  Will be interesting  to see who SMU will go after now.

Early buzz is kicking the tires on Bob Stoops.  He was coaching for the Dallas Renegades last year so he may still have the fire in his belly to be a head coach again.  

Also hearing that SMU will at least interview Deion Sanders.  He's close with Ra'Shaad Samples (SMU's ace DFW recruiter) and would certainly be a splash.  Risky hire though for obvious reasons.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Early buzz is kicking the tires on Bob Stoops.  He was coaching for the Dallas Renegades last year so he may still have the fire in his belly to be a head coach again.  

Also hearing that SMU will at least interview Deion Sanders.  He's close with Ra'Shaad Samples (SMU's ace DFW recruiter) and would certainly be a splash.  Risky hire though for obvious reasons.

Not sure how the coaching would be, but with Deion's recruiting and SMU boosters who can now legally pay recruits (I wonder if that takes some of the fun out of it?) SMU could have some very good recruiting classes.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Not sure how the coaching would be, but with Deion's recruiting and SMU boosters who can now legally pay recruits (I wonder if that takes some of the fun out of it?) SMU could have some very good recruiting classes.

Yeah the thought is with NIL and Samples/Deion you could do some real damage on the recruiting trail.

I don't think that is SMU's number one option but it'll be explored.

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, SMU2006 said:

Totally agree.  Now that we can pay players legally with NIL its a perfect fit.  He can continue to land 4 star recruits in Dallas with Samples.  Would absolutely love it.

Nah, they both have an overinflated opinion of themselves.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1