Justin Fuente Fired from Virginia Tech

TheReal_jayD

14 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Darrell MFin Dickey.

But in all seriousness, Fuente could very well be our Sonny Dykes. I'd much rather take a chance on him than a coach with no FBS experience.

He has experience with Wren from Memphis. He's from Oklahoma and coached at TCU for many years, AND a common grip I've seen from VT fans was that he was recruiting Texas TOO MUCH instead of trying to build regional ties on the east coast so the recruiting is there. He's coached QB's (Andy Dalton and Paxton Lynch being the most notable examples) and runs a spread system so the transition would be minimal.

It's a no brainer hire and one that could be huge for us

Great post

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

10 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Darrell MFin Dickey.

But in all seriousness, Fuente could very well be our Sonny Dykes. I'd much rather take a chance on him than a coach with no FBS experience.

He has experience with Wren from Memphis. He's from Oklahoma and coached at TCU for many years, AND a common grip I've seen from VT fans was that he was recruiting Texas TOO MUCH instead of trying to build regional ties on the east coast so the recruiting is there. He's coached QB's (Andy Dalton and Paxton Lynch being the most notable examples) and runs a spread system so the transition would be minimal.

It's a no brainer hire and one that could be huge for us

Dykes caught lightning in a bottle with his ability to bring in key transfers.

Not saying it's an indicator, but in the 2021 Transfer portal VT had 19 players enter and brought in 7. In the 2020 Transfer portal VT had 16 enter leave and brought in 8.  That's 35 players who have left the program in the past 2 years.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

And if it does who cares.  Half this roster needs to pound sand anyhow.  A fresh start with bringing in more play makers would be a good thing for us.

The problem is the impact on numbers. Just because you lose them does not mean you can replace them.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, golfingomez said:

Dykes seemed to have a good enough career at La Tech and did a decent job at Cal (although i have no real idea what the Bears fans expect from their football program. 

I would say that Dykes had a much better P5 run than Fuente did. 

I don't understand how you could make this statement.   It's not even close.   One was a disaster.  The other was a winner.
Here:
Dykes at Cal:  19-30
Fuente at VATech: 43-31

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

My top choices would be Colby Carthel or K.C. Keeler. I would like to see us go with someone who has built programs and been successful. I especially think Carthel has a lot of upside and seems like through his connection with his Dad has a good understanding of promoting a program.  I would also like a coach where we could possibly do an incentive packed contract and still have money to put towards top level G5 assistants

Oh, me too!
What if I told you about a guy who took over a G5 program who's previous 3 seasons' records combined to be 5-31.  That's way worse than our last 3 seasons!
This guy built up that G5 school to be the conference champion and ranked within 3 years!   Is this the kind of program builder you're looking for?

That guy is Justin Fuente!

Again, if we were still on the shoestring budget we used to be on...  I'd be cool with giving these two guys a call.    But not now.

• Upvote 4
  • Ray 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh, me too!
What if I told you about a guy who took over a G5 program who's previous 3 seasons' records combined to be 5-31.  That's way worse than our last 3 seasons!
This guy built up that G5 school to be the conference champion and ranked within 3 years!   Is this the kind of program builder you're looking for?

Again, if we were still on the shoestring budget we used to be on...  I'd be cool with giving these two guys a call.    But not now.

I would not have a problem with Fuente. I just find it a refection on the state of the program that a fan base was hoping for a coach to be fail and be fired so hopefully we could have a shot at him. I think the key for whoever comes in will be to bring in good assistants and recruiters. We need someone, not saying it has to be the HC, who has been successful with transfers.

• Upvote 1

Our future HC, SL or whoever, needs to get impact players from anywhere:

HS
JUCO
Xfers/Portal

[For anyone] ...My understanding is that, the portal is simply a database now where everyone (potential transfers) can formally put their name in for other schools to peruse.  I don't see how - outside this database - the logistics of it is any different from what we for years referred to as transfers.

Anyways, yes, get impact players.  Start with high probability/success source (whichever it is), then try to get good at the other sources.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Our future HC, SL or whoever, needs to get impact players from anywhere:

HS
JUCO
Xfers/Portal

[For anyone] ...My understanding is that, the portal is simply a database now where everyone (potential transfers) can formally put their name in for other schools to peruse.  I don't see how - outside this database - the logistics of it is any different from what we for years referred to as transfers.

Anyways, yes, get impact players.  Start with high probability/success source (whichever it is), then try to get good at the other sources.

Transfers are more game ready than high schoolers. And we need some areas shored up. Go HS for depth and development. Go Transfers where they're needed for right now. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

And I say this not to start an argument or be a smart a$$. But who would move the needle?

I don't take it that way.  Just good conversation.

My issue with Fuente from watching VA Tech is that he just looks unmotivated/tired.  Kind of like Littrell does right now.  Maybe a change of scenery would do him some good, but that is my observation.

I like Carthel and Keeler because they have shown the ability to build and win everywhere they've been.  A step up with better facilities would probably energize them as opposed to Fuente that is moving down and the effect that has could have when he is used to having more.  Outside of those two, I am not sure who would be available, and I haven't researched it much but I would be really interested to see who expresses interest in the position.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

59 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Dykes caught lightning in a bottle with his ability to bring in key transfers.

Not saying it's an indicator, but in the 2021 Transfer portal VT had 19 players enter and brought in 7. In the 2020 Transfer portal VT had 16 enter leave and brought in 8.  That's 35 players who have left the program in the past 2 years.

This defiantly red flags and needs to be discussed. His last 2 recruiting classes were also not up the VT standards. 2020 was ranked last in the ACC?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Transfers are more game ready than high schoolers. And we need some areas shored up. Go HS for depth and development. Go Transfers where they're needed for right now. 

Didn't we recently get a couple P5 xfers that busted? Doesn't logic suggest that, if the majority of transfers are P5 guys that weren't happy with sitting on the bench, then we have a greater/stronger indication that they were over-rated coming out of HS?

Just playing devil's advocate here.  I'm personally not convinced that xfers became the primary recruiting tool over the last two seasons.  I think it's a massive talking point right now because of what the COVID year has done to the current game. 

I'm inclined to think HS is still the first priority for roster building but I'm open for counter point.  Still a ton of dust in the air and we don't know what this landscape looks like until one or two more seasons transpire.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, Tom McKrackin said:

For goodness sakes gomey, Memphis was a dog when he took them over, and Franklin Beamer was a legend he was never going to replace fully at VaTech.  Let's cut the guy some slack here.  Also he has already won the American conference which is a plus.

People said the same things you are saying when Sonny landed at SMU after getting canned at Cal.  In fact,

my biggest concern about Fue is that he may end up at Smu when Sonny takes Tcu...

A name that is being mentioned if Sonny leaves is Rhett Lashlee. He is well like at SMU.

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Didn't we recently get a couple P5 xfers that busted? Doesn't logic suggest that, if the majority of transfers are P5 guys that weren't happy with sitting on the bench, then we have a greater/stronger indication that they were over-rated coming out of HS?

Just playing devil's advocate here.  I'm personally not convinced that xfers became the primary recruiting tool over the last two seasons.  I think it's a massive talking point right now because of what the COVID year has done to the current game. 

I'm inclined to think HS is still the first priority for roster building but I'm open for counter point.  Still a ton of dust in the air and we don't know what this landscape looks like until one or two more seasons transpire.

The problem that I think will only get worse is spending one or two years developing HS talent and then they jump in the portal. The portal should be a go-to for areas of need and building depth. The problem with the portal is having the staff to evaluate how that players skillsets translate to your program. 

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, golfingomez said:

back to the topic at hand... With all the complaining we are doing about Seth, why are we so fired up to hire a guy that went 26-23 at Memphis and 13-11 in the American?

Probably because Memphis was 5-31 in the three previous seasons before Fuente got there and that was in CUSA. He was actually 17-15 in the AAC overall but 12-4 his final two years and left the talent that Norvell won with as well. Memphis might have been the worst FBS program in the country when he took over. 

4 2018 American 8 6 0 .571 5 3 0 .625 2.27 -3.88       Mike Norvell (8-6) Birmingham Bowl-L  
5 2017 American 10 3 0 .769 7 1 0 .875 8.52 -0.79   16 25 Mike Norvell (10-3) Liberty Bowl-L  
6 2016 American 8 5 0 .615 5 3 0 .625 2.96 -1.11       Mike Norvell (8-5) Boca Raton Bowl-L  
7 2015 American 9 4 0 .692 5 3 0 .625 6.55 0.16   15   Justin Fuente (9-3), Darrell Dickey (0-1) Birmingham Bowl-L  
8 2014 American 10 3 0 .769 7 1 0 .875 7.22 -4.25   25 25 Justin Fuente (10-3) Miami Beach Bowl-W  
9 2013 American 3 9 0 .250 1 7 0 .125 -7.41 -2.66       Justin Fuente (3-9)    
10 2012 CUSA 4 8 0 .333 4 4 0 .500 -11.09 -5.34       Justin Fuente (4-8)    
11 2011 CUSA 2 10 0 .167 1 7 0 .125 -18.17 -6.17       Larry Porter (2-10)    
12 2010 CUSA 1 11 0 .083 0 8 0 .000 -19.43 -1.51       Larry Porter (1-11)    
13 2009 CUSA 2 10 0 .167 1 7 0 .125 -12.06 -0.81       Tommy West (2-10)
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Did Fuente effectively use the transfer portal? If not, then nah. If SL is able to stay then I recommend him start getting impact players in here via the portal or his extended stay will be a brief one. 

I can see this happening:

Baker brings Littrell in and says "I'll give you one more year but I want to see heavy transfer portal in here next year" And he's back.

At 5-7 and "we're so young....we're building!" I can totally see that conversation happening.

• Downvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't understand how you could make this statement.   It's not even close.   One was a disaster.  The other was a winner.
Here:
Dykes at Cal:  19-30
Fuente at VATech: 43-31

It would be fair to say that Fuente inherited preferable situation at VaTech compared to what Dykes had at Cal.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh, me too!

How is Fuente doing now? Because Carthel has SFA ranked 22nd in FCS.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

My issue with Fuente from watching VA Tech is that he just looks unmotivated/tired.  Kind of like Littrell does right now.  Maybe a change of scenery would do him some good, but that is my observation.

I like Carthel and Keeler because they have shown the ability to build and win everywhere they've been.  A step up with better facilities would probably energize them as opposed to Fuente that is moving down and the effect that has could have when he is used to having more.  Outside of those two, I am not sure who would be available, and I haven't researched it much but I would be really interested to see who expresses interest in the position.

I agree with everything you said except I’d say Littrell looked like Fuente a few weeks ago but seems to have a little passion back in his last few press conferences.

• Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

Probably because Memphis was 5-31 in the three previous seasons before Fuente got there and that was in CUSA. He was actually 17-15 in the AAC overall but 12-4 his final two years and left the talent that Norvell won with as well. Memphis might have been the worst FBS program in the country.

Seth inherited a 1-11 team that set the record for the worst FBS loss to a FCS team in college football history. I think Seth wins on inheritance of futility.

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Ill admit. Carthal has been my favorite for a while. I think Keeler won't be exciting... but I think he would just win. And thats important

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1