Justin Fuente Fired from Virginia Tech

TheReal_jayD

24 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

back to the topic at hand... With all the complaining we are doing about Seth, why are we so fired up to hire a guy that went 26-23 at Memphis and 13-11 in the American?

For goodness sakes gomey, Memphis was a dog when he took them over, and Franklin Beamer was a legend he was never going to replace fully at VaTech.  Let's cut the guy some slack here.  Also he has already won the American conference which is a plus.

People said the same things you are saying when Sonny landed at SMU after getting canned at Cal.  In fact,

my biggest concern about Fue is that he may end up at Smu when Sonny takes Tcu...

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

5 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

For goodness sakes gomey, Memphis was a dog when he took them over, and Franklin Beamer was a legend he was never going to replace fully at VaTech.  Let's cut the guy some slack here.  Also he has already won the American conference which is a plus.

People said the same things you are saying when Sonny landed at SMU after getting canned at Cal.  In fact,

my biggest concern about Fue is that he may end up at Smu when Sonny takes Tcu...

We've already lost one target by allowing Littrell to hang around.   If Baker fumbles both McGuire and Fuente to 2 schools we compete with, I'd be very upset if they both do well & we continue spinning wheels with whoever he brings in instead.

But if Sonny leaves, and both NT & SMU go after Fuente, our only hope would be for Wren to convince his buddy to come here over the money whip SMU brings.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

6 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I feel like we see a lot of transfers if Seth gets fired with a loss to UTSA. I’m not saying he should be kept because I think it’s time, but it would be a rough year or 2 after to get back talent …

I'm sure people said the same thing when recruiting genius, Frank Harris, was fired from UTSA.  Wouldn't be the worst thing in the world to cleanse this program and let the new coach rebuild with his players, hopefully smartly using the transfer portal. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

I feel like we see a lot of transfers if Seth gets fired with a loss to UTSA. I’m not saying he should be kept because I think it’s time, but it would be a rough year or 2 after to get back talent …

Or, a change might actually do some good and the guys would feel refreshed!   Maybe Stout could be convinced to stay around with a new guy coming in.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Well we have had two jump in the portal the last seven days.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Dykes seemed to have a good enough career at La Tech and did a decent job at Cal (although i have no real idea what the Bears fans expect from their football program. 

I would say that Dykes had a much better P5 run than Fuente did. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Mind you, I'm not making any argument here either way. I have no idea what I think about all this, and could probably talk myself into either option.... that being said, having been here from Matt Simon on and looking at this thing, I'm less and less convinced that SL is outta here. In fact, handle business at FIU this weekend (which we absolutely should) and I tend to think he's way safer than not (barring a Portland State type no show v. UTSA, and maybe not even then).

I just don't see Wren pulling the trigger on a 5 win team that didn't quit and came on late, not to mention one with a crazy young roster and a lot of key injuries. And hey, I get it - whose fault is that roster, why are we so thin at WR, why were we picked to have 3-5 wins preseason in the first place? ALL valid points! Again, not saying whether he should or shouldn't go. I just get the vibe that Wren is the patient type and there's enough here to convince him to justify saving the $$$ for another year.

Side note, tangentially related: UTSA hasn't looked great the last couple weeks - at all. I wouldn't be surprised if UAB puts it on 'em, and either way I'm not ready to say we aren't at least competitive in that thing at Apogee. #GMG

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

So you think these guys will leave because were making a change to a coach with 3 straight losing seasons? Also, players need to be careful if they jump out in the portal and don't find a new home. Once you enter your current team is under not obligation to bring you back. Not everyone, especially G5 and FCS players find the grass greener on the other side. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

Really now?

Dykes record at California: 19-30 with a 10-26 conference record.

Fuente record at Va Tech: 43-31 with a 28-20 conference record. 

Still think Dykes had a much better run?

i'm going to walk back my statement, after looking at what each did, they both had 'meh' runs, factoring in expectations of the programs. go through Fuente's run at Va Tech and point out some signature wins he had there. 

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

Wren has to raise $$$$ now. He has the momentum of the AAC announcement and to keep that going he needs to hire a new coach. Seth stays he will alienate many of the alumni. To bring in a P5 rebounder he is also going to have to announce the immediate start of the AD building. No way a P5 coach accepts the job with the current weight room, rehab facilities and trainers area.  

Edited by Wag Tag
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

And I say this not to start an argument or be a smart a$$. But who would move the needle?

My top choices would be Colby Carthel or K.C. Keeler. I would like to see us go with someone who has built programs and been successful. I especially think Carthel has a lot of upside and seems like through his connection with his Dad has a good understanding of promoting a program.  I would also like a coach where we could possibly do an incentive packed contract and still have money to put towards top level G5 assistants

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Or, a change might actually do some good and the guys would feel refreshed!   Maybe Stout could be convinced to stay around with a new guy coming in.

Possibly and I would hope that happens.

Who knows what actually happens if Seth gets fired, but I feel like it would be ugly. 

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

Possibly and I would hope that happens.

Who knows what actually happens if Seth gets fired, but I feel like it would be ugly. 

And if it does who cares.  Half this roster needs to pound sand anyhow.  A fresh start with bringing in more play makers would be a good thing for us.

• Upvote 4