Justin Fuente Fired from Virginia Tech

TheReal_jayD

20 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

I believe this is def something the MGF should be monitoring. I would bet my house that either Seth or Justin is your head coach next season.

Fingers crossed 🤞. Have to admit I was slightly giddy when I saw this news this morning 

• Upvote 4

13 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Not sure exactly how Justin getting paid $10MM is going to have anything to do with us buying out Seth. His agent is NOT going to agree to less money because he just got a big buy out. 

I think he means salary wise. Big buyout means he's comfortable financially and doesn't require as big of a salary to start off

• Upvote 5

5 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Would SMU have gotten Dykes if he was successful at Cal? Would La Tech have have gotten Holtz if he was successful at USF? The reality of G5 is that we either hope to hit on an unknown rising star coach or land a P5 retread. In this case, Fuente has been there, done that in G5

Hell, look at schools like A&M and Ole Miss. both high-ranked teams whose coaches were on the hot seat and fired, respectively, from their previous P5 HC positions.

• Upvote 5

31 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Never in my life did I think we would wish someone would suck bad enough at their current job to get fired so we could hire them. Wow. I bet HBU is chomping at the bit for us to fire Seth.

You have to pay attention to what Fuente did AT OUR LEVEL though.
Heck, in the same exact conference we're about to move into!
Do you think SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, et al... would be excited to have Fuente back in their conference kicking their a** again?

And yeah, I bet Seth is going to go back to being a really good OC for some lucky school next year!  Whoever hires him is going to be giddy about it.

EDIT:   And by the way, about this news...
the-simpsons-mr-burns.gif

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

16 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Hell, look at schools like A&M and Ole Miss. both high-ranked teams whose coaches were on the hot seat and fired, respectively, from their previous P5 HC positions.

Jimbo Fisher left FSU on his own. He wasn’t fired nor about to be fired. His wife cheated on him, the boosters didn’t get along with him and the administration wouldn’t help him so he left

• Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

26 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Would SMU have gotten Dykes if he was successful at Cal? Would La Tech have have gotten Holtz if he was successful at USF? The reality of G5 is that we either hope to hit on an unknown rising star coach or land a P5 retread. In this case, Fuente has been there, done that in G5

Yea but for every Sonny Dykes and Skip Holtz, you get a Charlie Strong and Butch Davis or Francione or Bobby Petrino.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

Yea but for every Sonny Dykes and Skip Holtz, you get a Charlie Strong and Butch Davis or Francione or Bobby Petrino.

There is no path in G5 that doesn’t have risk. Hell, getting something with small risk is really really hard/rare.

I don’t know about hiring Fuente, but it’s be nice to just have him in the office for a talk.

• Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You have to pay attention to what Fuente did AT OUR LEVEL though.
Heck, in the same exact conference we're about to move into!
Do you think SMU, Tulane, Tulsa, et al... would be excited to have Fuente back in their conference kicking their a** again?

And yeah, I bet Seth is going to go back to being a really good OC for some lucky school next year!  Whoever hires him is going to be giddy about it.

EDIT:   And by the way, about this news...
the-simpsons-mr-burns.gif

I would be ok with Fuente, but didn't Fuente's run at Memphis basically mirror Littrell's first few years at UNT?  Both struck gold with a QB (Lynch/Fine) and basically haven't done anything since that QB left.  

Should be an interesting few weeks.  Hopefully we get a win this week to keep the momentum going into nUTSAk game.

• Upvote 4
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

14 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

That's the dice we are willing to roll on someone that has already proven they can win at our level

What has he “proven” at our level that is so superior to what Seth did his first 3 years? He won his 1 bowl game appearance? Showed that in 4 seasons he could tie for first in conference once and never finish above 3rd in the other 3 years?

If Seth had left us for KSU and was getting fired this year, you’d be begging him to come build on the success he had early on here because he had “proven he could win at our level”.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

What has he “proven” at our level that is so superior to what Seth did his first 3 years? He won his 1 bowl game appearance? That in 4 seasons he could tie for first in conference once and never finish above 3rd in the other 3 years?

If Seth had left us for KSU and was getting fired this year, you’d be begging him to come build on the success he had early on here because he had “proven he could win at our level”.

He got them ranked and actually won a bowl game for starters... already an improvement over Seth...

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 5
  • Haha 1