5 Win Bowl Teams

greeneagle1

50 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I don’t know maybe the starter is mediocre at best and you want to see if the other QBs can play better than they do in practice.  🤷🏽‍♂️  I wouldn’t start a different QB than starts the UTSA game.  But I am yanking whoever starts after about 3-4 bad reads/throws in the bowl game.  At this point if the other Quarterbacks are too bad to ever see the field you need encourage one of them to enter the transfer portal.  

If the QB room from top to bottom is this bad then tat is just another poor reflection of a coach in his 6th year. When you watch different games every weekend, FBS and FCS, you see team after team with "a transfer QB from X" that plays well. It is hard to believe that UNT is not a place that could attract a quality transfer. Outside of Mason who we landed because Seth made a late phone call, who has he actually sought out and won a recruiting battle for at QB that has been any good? It seems like we spent a scholarship on the transfer from Kentucky who was never even close to having the talent to take the field. Maybe it's our lack of having a quality QB coach? As far as identifying talent, going after it, and developing depth, the QB position has not been very strong.

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

So when the receiver runs a post pattern and has to basically come to a stop to wait for the ball, that's their fault? When the run the out route at 12  yards and Aune either throws it way over their heads or 3 yards short - that is their fault? Not saying they receivers have not ran bad routes but please stop trying to find a way to justify Aune's play. 

And if the WR runs the wrong route a QB needs to recognize that and not throw it to him.  Coaching staff is aware that these receivers are young so if they are calling a lot of passing plays where the receivers have to read and react that is on the coaches.  Because that means they would be setting the QB up for failure.  What I have seen so far it doesn’t appear that they are calling a lot blind throw timing routes.   And if the case Aune is just playing bad for big stretches of game followed by a few good plays.

36 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If the QB room from top to bottom is this bad then tat is just another poor reflection of a coach in his 6th year. When you watch different games every weekend, FBS and FCS, you see team after team with "a transfer QB from X" that plays well. It is hard to believe that UNT is not a place that could attract a quality transfer. Outside of Mason who we landed because Seth made a late phone call, who has he actually sought out and won a recruiting battle for at QB that has been any good? It seems like we spent a scholarship on the transfer from Kentucky who was never even close to having the talent to take the field. Maybe it's our lack of having a quality QB coach? As far as identifying talent, going after it, and developing depth, the QB position has not been very strong.

Great detailed point.  The worse thing you can say about a coach in his 6th year is that you can’t identify what he does that is good or great.  You could say he recruits and coaches the running back position well.  However, for the last most of 20 years independent of the Head Coach we have had really good running backs.  (Maybe Todd Dodge didn’t but that team threw it so much it is probably not fair to judge those backs).   Just think if you were Seth’s agent and you were trying to get a team to hire him for HC or even OC at a P5 what could honestly say he is great at?  
Evaluating QB talent - No

Coaching up Offense - No

Managing Special Teams - No

Making halftime adjustments - No

Great with Media (interesting or funny points go viral) - No

Recruiting Offense - No

Recruiting Defense - No 

Feel for Game (calling trick plays that work at crucial times that change momentum) - No

Winning a few big games as underdog (with the record of that favored team not tanking after you beat them.  Because if a team tanks that just means the experts didn’t evaluate them properly)

So we have all this and he doesn’t have win loss record that indicates he does a lot of things good but just not great 

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Thanks 1

One example: Loren Easly started over Torrey in 2019 until Easly was injured. Not to mention, that IMO, Siggers/Attaway combo sholuld have been given the ball over Torrey. However, that is something we just will never know how it would have turned out. 

How about how the Murphy twins didn't even snif the field until we are needing to just 'try something new' since the older guys weren't getting it done. 

You don't have to dig too deep to see where age over talent has happened here. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

43 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Once example: Loren Easly started over Torrey in 2019 until Easly was injured. Not to mention, that IMO, Siggers/Attaway combo sholuld have been given the ball over Torrey. However, that is something we just will never know how it would have turned out. 

How about how the Murphy twins didn't even snif the field until we are needing to just 'try something new' since the older guys weren't getting it done. 

Upton Stout says hi (and bye).

• Sad 1
  • Eye Roll 2

50 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

Once example: Loren Easly started over Torrey in 2019 until Easly was injured. Not to mention, that IMO, Siggers/Attaway combo sholuld have been given the ball over Torrey. However, that is something we just will never know how it would have turned out. 

The RB issues...I don't know, there were so many injuries and returns from injuries involved in that, it wasn't necessarily easy to say who should get the carries.  I agree that Addaway should have gotten some of the starts where Torrey did; but considering that Torrey is now climbing the ranks of all-time NT RBs, that seems a little nitpicky.

And the Murphy twins were put on the field once they put enough weight on to conceivably play on the D-line as opposed to the LB position they were recruited as.  They were under 220 pounds their freshman year.  And they were starters their redshirt freshman year, moving ahead of several "older guys" to do it.

I'm not really seeing that we're letting talent rot on the bench at an epidemic level.

5 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

I'm not really seeing that we're letting talent rot on the bench at an epidemic level.

You are setting up the strawman - not me. I am not claiming it.

Being a fan is to be imperfect. I have some opinions and hairbrained ideas about how some pathes would lead to different outcomes, but I am not saying we have across the board talent dying on the vine.

I do like how some teams (like OU and UT for example) will roll out a different QB when the current one is just not having a good day. RBs get de-prioritized during a game due to various factors, I don't understand why the QB is completely immune. The only time I recall seeing Kason in real game action was against the ranked USU and he did the best of all the QBs that day. I'd like to see him in the second quarter of UTEP when Aune couldn't hit the side of a building.. If it didn't work out, then Aune could get back in there. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 2

3 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

You are setting up the strawman - not me. I am not claiming it.

Being a fan is to be imperfect. I have some opinions and hairbrained ideas about how some pathes would lead to different outcomes, but I am not saying we have across the board talent dying on the vine.

I do like how some teams (like OU and UT for example) will roll out a different QB when the current one is just not having a good day. RBs get de-prioritized during a game due to various factors, I don't understand why the QB is completely immune. The only time I recall seeing Kason in real game action was against the ranked USU and he did the best of all the QBs that day. I'd like to see him in the second quarter of UTEP when Aune couldn't hit the side of a building.. If it didn't work out, then Aune could get back in there. 

OU benched a projected Heisman candidate and first round draft choice to find something different. Seth has always been bad at building depth. When Mason was on the top of his game he was mostly left in, far enough ahead or too far behind. Then when he did go down our backups were not ready. 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

And the Murphy twins were put on the field once they put enough weight on to conceivably play on the D-line as opposed to the LB position they were recruited as.  They were under 220 pounds their freshman year.  And they were starters their redshirt freshman year, moving ahead of several "older guys" to do it.

Story I heard was that Bowen had them buried on the depth chart because they weren't great practice players.  Not sure if that is true, but that was the story floated out there.

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

You would have looved to watch the 2020 North Texas QB situation. ;)

• Haha 1