5 Win Bowl Teams

greeneagle1

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We CANNOT go looking for a bowl game at 5 wins again.    We need to stop doing this.

8 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

You kid but we were talking about it at the game that it is very likely we will get a 5-win invite because some teams will drop out due to the anticipated Covid variant spike.

The team is fairly young in a number of places. All other things aside those units would profit from the extra practices.

But if you want to get fans excited after having done this multiple times, you gotta do something different. How about a promise that the QB starting will be someone other than Ruder or Aune?

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 2
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, greeneagle1 said:

We seem to be the revolving door as the team that is 1 win short of .500 making a bowl recently. Has anyone seen a rough count of the number of schools that SHOULD be bowl eligible in 2 weeks? And is that number less than the number of bowl slots again like it has been?

image.gif?w=500&c=1

• Upvote 3

20 minutes ago, outoftown said:

The team is fairly young in a number of places. All other things aside those units would profit from the extra practices.

But if you want to get fans excited after having done this multiple times, you gotta do something different. How about a promise that the QB starting will be someone other than Ruder or Aune?

This makes no sense.   Why would the coaches remove the starter to 'trick it up'?

• Upvote 5

23 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

Never ever turn down an opportunity for a bowl game.

If NT has 5 wins, then sure, get a few practices in with the new guy.   Wren can only get mad at himself if we get the brakes beat off of us in the Myrtle Beach bowl or some other bottom bowl nowhere near us again.

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This makes no sense.   Why would the coaches remove the starter to 'trick it up'?

I don’t know maybe the starter is mediocre at best and you want to see if the other QBs can play better than they do in practice.  🤷🏽‍♂️  I wouldn’t start a different QB than starts the UTSA game.  But I am yanking whoever starts after about 3-4 bad reads/throws in the bowl game.  At this point if the other Quarterbacks are too bad to ever see the field you need encourage one of them to enter the transfer portal.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, DentonLurker said:

I don't know why any of you are convinced there's someone better in that QB Room. Why would he sabotage himself by not playing the best QB? He may not be the coach you want him to be, but I don't buy that he's sitting on some gem of a QB.

I believe most people don't trust his ability to judge the right talent, not that he sandbagging. SL has plenty of times over the years sat on better talent while letting the older kids play. 

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 3

2 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

I believe most people don't trust his ability to judge the right talent, not that he sandbagging. SL has plenty of times over the years sat on better talent while letting the older kids play. 

"Better talent"...not sure exactly how you are using this.  What are some examples would you give of this common phenomenon?

14 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

You got me right for one.  Mostly because I believe -particualrly at QB- that there is such a thing as a "gamer". Some players just aren't capable to get up for practice the way they would for a game. Maybe Martin or Drummond are that kind of player. SL would never know and i indeed don't trust him to judge that part of the mental game right

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

I don’t know maybe the starter is mediocre at best and you want to see if the other QBs can play better than they do in practice.  🤷🏽‍♂️  I wouldn’t start a different QB than starts the UTSA game.  But I am yanking whoever starts after about 3-4 bad reads/throws in the bowl game.  At this point you if the other QB are too bad to ever see the field you need encourage one of them to enter the transfer portal.  

My mama always told me not to judge a quarterback throwing on a timing route until I had thoroughly investigated where his receiver was supposed to be.

Substitutes and backups are more prone to route mistakes. With all the injuries, dismissed starter, and position juggling early this season, these talented but inexperienced young receivers have certainly been missing their marks. When you hear "Damn it, he threw it right to the other team!", that is usually what has transpired.

Now, if we still had all our original starters, including Darden and Bussey who still had eligibility remaining, things may be quite different.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

27 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I was obviously not speaking with any real hope he'd do it. I just know that I would be more excited if he gave someone else a chance, rather than seeing the same old experiment and having to hope for a different result. it kind of drives me insane.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

"Better talent"...not sure exactly how you are using this.  What are some examples would you give of this common phenomenon?

The only one I can think of is letting Mike Lawrence play more snaps or get more receptions than Darden, until it was just Darden left. Lawrence ended up being a solid receiver, but he had 3 NFL receivers playing with him and an NFL running back too. 

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

26 minutes ago, ADLER said:

My mama always told me not to judge a quarterback throwing on a timing route until I had thoroughly investigated where his receiver was supposed to be.

Substitutes and backups are more prone to route mistakes. With all the injuries, dismissed starter, and position juggling early this season, these talented but inexperienced young receivers have certainly been missing their marks. When you hear "Damn it, he threw it right to the other team!", that is usually what has transpired.

Now, if we still had all our original starters, including Darden and Bussey who still had eligibility remaining, things may be quite different.

So when the receiver runs a post pattern and has to basically come to a stop to wait for the ball, that's their fault? When the run the out route at 12  yards and Aune either throws it way over their heads or 3 yards short - that is their fault? Not saying they receivers have not ran bad routes but please stop trying to find a way to justify Aune's play. 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1

14 minutes ago, outoftown said:

I was obviously not speaking with any real hope he'd do it. I just know that I would be more excited if he gave someone else a chance, rather than seeing the same old experiment and having to hope for a different result. it kind of drives me insane.

Now it's just coming down to: Can we establish the run?  Lately, against these abysmal teams, that's a yes.  I dunno if we can do that against a legit bowl team.   
If we can't establish the run, I don't know that the passing game would be able to do much regardless of who we trot out there at QB.   For as many bad throws as Aune has had, there have been almost as many receivers with lack of concentration dropping catchable balls.

8 minutes ago, ADLER said:

True. Judging quarterbacks without all the information is something some fans just shouldn't do.

You could say that about every position and every play on the field. When a DB get's beat it could easily be a coverage issue or someone not doing what they were supposed to. There are many things on every play that can go wrong that make one person look like they made a mistake when it's because someone did not do their jobs.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1