'22 Transfer Portal IOffer - UNI QB Will McElvain

akriesman

Just saw this on Twitter.   Trying to rekindle the Mason Fine magic ?    McElvain has been listed anywhere between 5'9" and 5'10:.     Lost the UNI starting QB position this season to a Michigan State transfer.    North Texas appears to be the first FBS offer.   He has 7 FCS offers right now.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 3

3 hours ago, UNT18Grad said:

His film doesn't look bad and looks like he has some nice speed, but are we really offering FCS players who lost their job??  Looks like he had a good RS freshman season, then struggled in his sophomore year (938 yards and 1 passing TD in 5 starts) before losing his job this year.  I guess the potential is there but looking at the big picture this offer doesn't excite me.

Yeah, I’d much prefer a P5 4 star transfer w/ multiple years of eligibility and only lost his position because of a generational QB.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I wonder if the staff is anticipating a string of transfers at the QB position. Does Gilmore go somewhere else to play, or maybe even change positions? Can’t imagine him just sticking at QB here as the 4th string guy for 3 more years. Is this Martin’s last season? Does Ruder come back?

All that to say, we might need to add two transfer QBs this offseason so we have a full room.

• Upvote 4

39 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I wonder if the staff is anticipating a string of transfers at the QB position. Does Gilmore go somewhere else to play, or maybe even change positions? Can’t imagine him just sticking at QB here as the 4th string guy for 3 more years. Is this Martin’s last season? Does Ruder come back?

All that to say, we might need to add two transfer QBs this offseason so we have a full room.

Who is here to develop them?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 1

Big game Seth watched a weeks worth of film, saw him play at Apogee stadium, and STILL didn't even attempt to offer Bailey Zappe. He wouldn't know a good quarterback if one threw a ball at him from 60 yards away that landed between his eyes. I know his OC from HBU and several teammates ended up at WKU, and that had to have been a factor. However, the fact that we didn't even try, and he signed off on Jace Ruder says it all.

Zappe has thrown for 4000+ yards, 42 touchdowns, and 7 interceptions this year...

No disrespect to this young man but we need to aim higher in the transfer portal. Or if we're going after an FCS quarterback let it be a player like Zappe who had three seasons of great production under his belt.

• Upvote 7

33 minutes ago, ntmeangreen11 said:

How do you know this? He's from Texas we could have tried.

At the time this all happened BZ and the receivers all basically hit the portal at the same time to follow their OC to WKU. At the time there were comments BZ felt staying in the same system with receivers he knew would give him his best shot at the next level.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

Since Seth can't find a QB coach that's worth a damn since Harrell left, maybe he's hoping he can get a guy that's already developed? 

Still need to be able to coach them. Reference Ruder. Hard to believe he has dropped as far as it seems he has from the reports of his time at UNC.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Still need to be able to coach them. Reference Ruder. Hard to believe he has dropped as far as it seems he has from the reports of his time at UNC.

I don't think Ruder has necessarily lost it, but that he was rushed in to the starting job when he wasn't ready.

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...