In Memory of ntsumgspe, Cary Lumkes

UNT 90 Grad

1 hour ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

Many of us knew @ntsumgspe, AKA Cary Lumkes, through Mean Green football.  He was an avid fan and quick to make friends with everyone.  He built a unique collection of selfies posing with opposing team mascots.  Cary was on the steering committee of the Dallas Chapter of the UNT Alumni Association, but also would host football watching parties in Collin County when I wasn't able to do it myself.  In Collin County, he was always the voice of "And that's good for another Mean Green...FIRST DOWN".

Similarly, Cary was a fan of hockey.  The Chicago Blackhawks were first in his heart, but the Dallas Stars were not far behind.  He also frequented the Allen Americans hockey games (ECHL) and played for the Phantoms in an adult hockey league, that happened to play at the Allen Event Center where the Allen Americans play.

Unfortunately we lost Cary in April of last year.

I've since been working with the UNT Alumni Association on a way to memorialize Cary.  I'm proud to say that on St. Patrick's Day of next year, the Collin County Chapter of the UNT Alumni Association will be hosting the First Annual Cary Lumkes Memorial UNT Night of Hockey with the Allen Americans.  I'll post links to purchase tickets to this event once the link is available.  The Allen Americans will be taking on the Tulsa Oilers at the Credit Union of Texas Event Center (formerly known as the Allen Event Center) in Allen.  I hope you are able to join us.

IMG_2217.thumb.JPG.4cf67b86bb58286968c253e9bc5b1bb0.JPG

Thanks for doing this. The Collin County watching parties always had the most energy when he was there. 

• Upvote 4

• Harry featured this topic
On 11/23/2021 at 9:51 AM, Moobs said:

Is there a section or sections we’re trying to fill first?

Multiple people have asked this question.  (Honestly, your "See you on Saturday in section 106, row 1!" signature through me off a bit since there is a section 106 that is within the sections to pick from.) 

Long story short, there isn't one section we are trying to fill first.  However, if looking at the $37 seats, I'd suggest 104 to heckle the visitors' bench and closer to the side where the Americans are on offense twice.  $26 seats, I'd go with trying to fill 101 first.  I'd suggest 103 for the middle of the road $31 seats.

By the way, the American's have updated the ticket purchase site to reference Cary and included his pic in the rotation.  Again, HERE is the link to get seats at the rink.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Bump.  This special event is this week on the 17th.  Note that there are no NIT games on the 17th to conflict with.  Plenty of tickets still available.  Let’s turn the CUTX Event Center in Allen GREEN!

Purchase tickets at https://untalumni.com/events/alumni-night-at-allen-americans/

I just bought mine in section 115. 

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 3