UNT Losses

MeanGreen_MBA

52 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Neither one ever committed to us and flipped at the last minute which was the comment I was referring to when posing the question.

Regarding the three noted below, I think only Renfro flipped.

2 hours ago, Hookset said:

2020 Kade Renfro

2019 Logan Holgorsen

2018 The kid that went to a prep school (can’t recall his name, but I believe he signed at Miami).

Which one of these would you consider good?

Edited by UNTLifer

19 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Neither one ever committed to us and flipped at the last minute which was the comment I was referring to when posing the question.

Regarding the three noted below, I think only Renfro flipped.

Which one of these would you consider good?

They didn’t commit but were close.

Of your list, I guess Renfro would be best but obviously he hasn’t done a thing. Starkel never was serious about coming here but it would’ve been nice to have Clayton Tune although I’m not sure what level of qb coaching he would’ve received after Harrell left, doesn’t seem like much.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Mo Green said:

The only good team we played was SMU. The rest would of been winnable for any average team WITH A QB!

Yes, that is including Missouri.

You really think the only thing that stood between ...
UAB:40 - NT:6 - no garbage points because UAB doesn't allow that crap.
LATech:24 - NT:7 at halftime - garbage points in the 4th vs backups as usual.
Mizzou:31 - NT:7 at halftime - garbage points in the 4th vs backups as usual.
Marshall:42 - NT:7 at halftime - garbage points in the 4th vs backups as usual.

... is the QB?

Those games may have been a little more competitive, but I don't believe it because all of those teams could have kept pouring it on offensively, and keeping us out of the end zone in the 4th if they wanted to.

And no, I'm not saying it was a tough schedule either.   I'm saying we're losing to teams that aren't very good, and the QB is not THE problem (it's a residual problem).

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

... is the QB?

Those games may have been a little more competitive, but I don't believe it because all of those teams could have kept pouring it on offensively, and keeping us out of the end zone in the 4th if they wanted to.

And no, I'm not saying it was a tough schedule either.   I'm saying we're losing to teams that aren't very good, and the QB is not THE problem (it's a residual problem).

Yes I am. Why you ask, the Defense gave up really early in most of the games in September and October with all the 3 & out's the offense threw at them. So look at the defense now. Not great but effective if the offense does anything but 3 & out's...

PS yes those teams you mentioned are not great at all.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Renfro hasn't done anything anywhere other than move from school to school.

Holgorsen ended up signing with his Dad and then entered the transfer portal.  Hasn't produced anywhere.

Debiase hasn't done anything.

These three examples tell me SL has a difficult time identifying players that can contribute at the QB position.

Please…

Other programs saw potential in these 3 star QB’s also. They didn’t live up to expectations.

Even 4 and 5 star QB’s flop. 
If every coach got fired because a recruit didn’t live up to expectations, all programs would fire their coaches every year.

• Upvote 1
  • Puking Eagle 1

1 minute ago, Hookset said:

Please…

Other programs saw potential in these 3 star QB’s also. They didn’t live up to expectations.

If every coach got fired because a recruit didn’t live up to expectations, all programs would fire their coaches every year.

This is why I refuse to buy into these so called "rankings".  In fact I think they are quite "Rank" if you catch my drift!

• Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

... is the QB?

Plus 1

7 hours ago, golfingomez said:

IF we get rid of Seth, please god do not give the reigns to Phil Bennett, the man doesn't even want to live in the area. On top of that he has a career 19-52 record as a head coach.

Forgive me that was out of desperation, I really just want him to get rid of Seth and save money if that is an excuse to keep him.  I would take a chance on somebody who failed at SMU.  He wouldn’t be my first, second or even ninth choice.  And those reigns would be shared with an up-and-coming coordinator that might be a little too it’s in experience to be head coach without training wheels. 

2 hours ago, Hookset said:

Please…

The only one that matches what you are stating was Renfro. Holgorsen was offered by his Dad after we pulled the offer. Who offered Debiase?  Not sure we even offered him. 

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Those 4 games are when SL lost me.  It’s not because we lost them all, but rather HOW we lost them.  If it was high school we would have had running clocks in the 2nd half of UAB and Marshall.  

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

The only one that matches what you are stating was Renfro. Holgorsen was offered by his Dad after we pulled the offer. Who offered Debiase?  Not sure we even offered him. 

We didn’t pull the offer to Holgorsen. He decommited. Look it up on 247sports.com.

Really hard for you to argue with facts.

Again we are making offers to QB’s. Just offered the UNI QB. He also has 7 other D1 offers. He set freshman passing record for UNI. Undersized (5’11”) could work in our favor with bigger D1 programs taking him.
We keep trying. 
We got our last undersized QB because he was undersized and got no D1 offers at all.

Edited by Hookset

9 minutes ago, Hookset said:

We didn’t pull the offer to Holgorsen. He decommited. Look it up on 247sports.com.

Really hard for you to argue with facts.

Again we are making offers to QB’s. Just offered the UNI QB. He also has 7 other D1 offers. He set freshman passing record for UNI. Undersized (5’11”) could work in our favor with bigger D1 programs taking him.
We keep trying. 
We got our last undersized QB because he was undersized and got no D1 offers at all.

Your comment was committed QB’s that flipped at the last minute. Renfro might match that description. The others did not. 

He has offers from powerhouse programs like Eastern IL, Idaho, St. Francis, Merrimack, Robert Morris and Western Carolina. D1 and none are FBS. No disrespect to the young man, but we can do better. 

• Upvote 2

16 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

... is the QB?

This is right on.

And the thing about those examples is for most coaches those are flukes. With Littrell they are not. They have been a consistent result for nearly 6 seasons. Every year. Even WITH Mason Fine and NFL receivers by the way. FAU twice, Troy, Utah St off the top of my head...we got absolutely destroyed in those games and those were our "best teams" under Littrell. 

5 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

This is right on.

And the thing about those examples is for most coaches those are flukes. With Littrell they are not. They have been a consistent result for nearly 6 seasons. Every year. Even WITH Mason Fine and NFL receivers by the way. FAU twice, Troy, Utah St off the top of my head...we got absolutely destroyed in those games and those were our "best teams" under Littrell. 

I don't think the issue we're seeing now was present early on.   We used to start SO FAST!    This was, no doubt, a plus of Graham Harrell.  He could scheme a gameplan by looking at tape better than any OC we've had.   He couldn't re-adjust once the opposing defenses adjusted so our offenses under him would stall in the 2nd half, but we would start offensively with at least 14pts in the 1st quarter, and a 20pt halftime lead easy.

Since he left, we're seeing the exact opposite.   We start extremely slow, put ourselves out of the game by halftime, and then pour on points in the 4th quarter once we're finally clicking at game speed offensively, and the opposing teams have their backups in.

20 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't think the issue we're seeing now was present early on.   We used to start SO FAST!    This was, no doubt, a plus of Graham Harrell.  He could scheme a gameplan by looking at tape better than any OC we've had.   He couldn't re-adjust once the opposing defenses adjusted so our offenses under him would stall in the 2nd half, but we would start offensively with at least 14pts in the 1st quarter, and a 20pt halftime lead easy.

Has anyone been watching USC? I wonder if this story is the same with his Trojan offenses.

40 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

This is right on.

And UAB and La Tech have whipped our tails up front on both sides of the ball for the last 3-4 years…just physically pounded us.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Your comment was committed QB’s that flipped at the last minute. Renfro might match that description. The others did not. 

He has offers from powerhouse programs like Eastern IL, Idaho, St. Francis, Merrimack, Robert Morris and Western Carolina. D1 and none are FBS. No disrespect to the young man, but we can do better. 

Can we do better? Or do you wish we could do better? 
UNT doesn’t have a history of developing QB’s. We currently have 6 QB (a couple are 4 stars) offers listed. All but one have committed to another D1 program. 
We keep taking the best we can get. Hasn’t worked out so far. Maybe taking an undersized kid who has talent and isn’t getting D1 offers will work out. We caught lightning in a bottle once before.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

53 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Since he left, we're seeing the exact opposite.   We start extremely slow, put ourselves out of the game by halftime, and then pour on points in the 4th quarter once we're finally clicking at game speed offensively, and the opposing teams have their backups in.

I see your point....I was talking more about just getting blown out by "good" teams. But I agree, the past 3+ seasons our teams don't come out looking prepared. 

• Upvote 1

off topic but from "did you know file"........I have not thought our FG kicking has not been good this year and when we had our FG kicker in the UTEP game came out I was nervous.   Driving home listening to the post game show we have the most accurate FG in CUSA.    I thought we have missed a lot fg this year.   He is like 89% but I don't recall any long FG.

• Upvote 1