Could Seth be any more lucky

emmitt01

1 minute ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I'm sure he did and we got Ruder and Gilmore out of it 

Ruder I can understand somewhat bringing him here. But it seems like Gilmore was never going to get close to playing. With all of the injuries at WR and DB would have thought they would have moved hin. Don't understand this one at all.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

I'm talking about the fact that people were back on the Littrell wagon after games like Southern Miss and Rice. I feel like that was extremely short sighted after what teams like UAB and Marshall did to this team this season. I agree, UTSA is the true barometer because he's shown he can beat under .500 teams. 

I’m not sure I agree. I think the vast majority have expressed something closer to “at least we didn’t lost those games against terrible teams, but we better beat UTSA and a bowl opponent” attitude. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Ruder I can understand somewhat bringing him here. But it seems like Gilmore was never going to get close to playing. With all of the injuries at WR and DB would have thought they would have moved hin. Don't understand this one at all.

Maybe he isn’t athletic enough (ESPN has him at a 5.03 40-yard dash) to play those spots or for whatever reason just flat out refuses to try.

Edited by Cr1028

1 hour ago, golfingomez said:

Except if we win at fiu, this will be our Texas super bowl... Especially with the weight of everything building up

You mean Seth’s Texas Super Bowl.  Beating FIU before hand only puts a bowl game appearance on the line.  And we aren’t likely  to get a ranked team or a P5 team in the bowl game either.   So I don’t think that really makes the UTSA game that much bigger.  Beating an undefeated UTSA in the regular season finale will be the highlight of this season unless we get a ranked team in a higher profile bowl than we should expect.  This program has never beaten an undefeated FBS team coming into a game with 9 wins.   I am just anxious to see the attendance for the game if both teams win the week prior.   It would be really cool if both bands were there and the attendance hit 25k.  Just a good closely contested game would be good for recruiting 

The winning streak is nice.  Beating a solid UTEP team on Homecoming was especially fun.  We should definitely give credit to the players and coaches for staying focused and not giving up when we were sitting at 1-6, and as a result, we still have a lot to play for in these final two games. 

Having said all that, there is absolutely nothing that we have accomplished so far that suggests that we are capable of beating a team of UTSA's caliber.  If we do, it will be because we drastically improved throughout the season and are not the same team that looked completely outclassed against UAB/Marshall (at home).  

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Greendylan said:

The winning streak is nice.  Beating a solid UTEP team on Homecoming was especially fun.  We should definitely give credit to the players and coaches for staying focused and not giving up when we were sitting at 1-6, and as a result, we still have a lot to play for in these final two games. 

Having said all that, there is absolutely nothing that we have accomplished so far that suggests that we are capable of beating a team of UTSA's caliber.  If we do, it will be because we drastically improved throughout the season and are not the same team that looked completely outclassed against UAB/Marshall (at home).

I still think that the game between UTSA and UAB tells us a lot. Also, being a huge game the week just before the Runners play us.

• Upvote 4

On 11/13/2021 at 9:22 PM, BillySee58 said:

Why does everyone see wins like this, complain that they shouldn’t be grounds for Seth to retain his job because of the quality of opponent, then seem to ignore the possibility that Wren Baker could come to a similar conclusion?

UTEP's early season success was a mirage. Seth has done more of the same in year 6 as he has every other year. Beat bad teams, and lose to good ones. This season will be no different, and Wren will decide accordingly.

• Upvote 3

12 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

UTEP's early season success was a mirage. Seth has done more of the same in year 6 as he has every other year. Beat bad teams, and lose to good ones. This season will be no different, and Wren will decide accordingly.

That was my point. If everyone here is coming to that conclusion, why is it so hard for many on here to imagine the possibility that Wren sees it that way as well?

• Upvote 5

Just now, BillySee58 said:

That was my point. If everyone here is coming to that conclusion, why is it so hard for many on here to imagine the possibility that Wren sees it that way as well?

It's all we know.   1 step forward, 2 steps back.  It's been the Mean Green way for a very long time.   
I've noticed the ones who are saying, "all he has to do is win 4 or 5 games & he'll be back..." are dudes who have been around here a long time.

I think we're in a different position now though.

This thing is setting up so well for Wren to justify kicking the can a few months to save a few buyout bucks though.   
All he has to do is say, "We wanted to give Coach Littrell every opportunity to lead this team to a bowl game win, and he almost made it!  We want to thank him for all his efforts, but as we wrap up the year, it's best to make a change."    ...Knowing all along that the change was necessary after UAB:40 - NT:6.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

last time SL was sitting this close to a bowl game needing a win, did not end well, of course the team snuck in thanks to academics, but was beaten in a rematch.

The team went in to play a weak UTEP team and got their asses handed to them, much like what has happened everytime SL coaches a big game.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

FIU is one of the worst programs in division I.   Seth should be fired if he loses that game.

Yes, this would be another can of gas thrown in the dumpster fire.

I really don't think NT is gonna lose VS FIU.   They're in complete disarray.   

Butch Davis basically told 1/3 of his team that he thinks they should not even be playing FBS football, that's how bad they are.   He told them this via the media... not to their faces.   This is not a motivation tactic.   This is a bridge-burning tactic since he's already come to the "coach to the end of the year" agreement with FIU.   If you think NT is in a bad way... look at FIU, yikes!

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Yes, this would be another can of gas thrown in the dumpster fire.

I really don't think NT is gonna lose VS FIU.   They're in complete disarray.   

Butch Davis basically told 1/3 of his team that he thinks they should not even be playing FBS football, that's how bad they are.   He told them this via the media... not to their faces.   This is not a motivation tactic.   This is a bridge-burning tactic since he's already come to the "coach to the end of the year" agreement with FIU.   If you think NT is in a bad way... look at FIU, yikes!

I wouldn’t buy into that media stuff as well as overlooking FIU. Coaches will do some crazy stuff to get the opposition to think differently. 

Edited by Big Z
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Big Z said:

I wouldn’t buy into that media stuff as well as overlooking FIU. Coached will be do crazy stuff to get the opposition to think differently. 

It's right here though:
https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2021/11/14/22770810/fiu-football-butch-davis-is-telling-the-truth-and-the-truth-hurts-cfb-miami-college-football

The issues that we have, there’s no fix for, we’re playing 15-18 kids who shouldn’t even be suiting up.

You can't get around this.   He's saying, "You suck" to his own players. 

• Thanks 3

15 minutes ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Again this only highlights why the recruiting services are severely flawed and lack transparency.  Have the recruiting services gone back and updated to show how poorly these recruits panned out for FIU?  No because they could care less.

Yep, but that isn't on the services.  Davis basically indicted himself for poor evaluation of players on his part.  He is the one making the offer, not the recruiting services.

Rivals has changed their ratings for years based on who a player commits to.  I have seen them drop a ranking of a player that signed with us and raise a ranking of a kid that signed with a P5.  Hell, I emailed them and they replied basically admitting to the fact.  This isn't breaking news, but in the end, it is the coach's responsibility to evaluate the players he is extending offers.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Tom McKrackin said:

Again this only highlights why the recruiting services are severely flawed and lack transparency.  Have the recruiting services gone back and updated to show how poorly these recruits panned out for FIU?  No because they could care less.

i think the research (if you can even call it that) really slows to a crawl for any kid below 4 stars. For the majority of these kids all they care about is how good they look on the field, and don't adjust or review kids for attitude and other personal factors (that would be wayyyy too subjective). 

But when you read this line in the article:

"No Conference USA program has lost as many signees over the four-year span as FIU — a troubling sign for the team."

That tells you all you need to know, and recruiting services wouldn't adjust for this, how could you?

• Thanks 2

We obviously need to get by FIU first, but I don't get the love affair with UTSA or the belief that we're going to get slaughtered.  UTSA's record is against teams with a combined record of 36 - 63.  They have only played two games against opponents with winning records (WKU and UTEP).  In comparison our record is against teams with a combined record of 48 - 52.  Not great, but certainly better.  Five of our 10 games so far have been against teams with winning records.  

These are UTSA's best wins this season.  Which one of these is UTSA's signature win (a 4-6 Illinois, a 5-5 MTSU, a 5-5 Memphis, a 6-4 WKU or a 6-4 UTEP)? 

They have obviously capitalized on a weak schedule this year.  Good for them.  We don't seem to be able to do that.  A 7-3 UAB will be their biggest test of the season.  I hope they get by UAB and come into Apogee at 11-0.  Regardless, I like our chances.  If history is any predictor, we will play our best game of the season.  It will be incredibly exciting, but in front of nobody as we knock off a ranked team in the first time in forever.

• Upvote 3

59 minutes ago, keith said:

We obviously need to get by FIU first, but I don't get the love affair with UTSA or the belief that we're going to get slaughtered.  UTSA's record is against teams with a combined record of 36 - 63.  They have only played two games against opponents with winning records (WKU and UTEP).  In comparison our record is against teams with a combined record of 48 - 52.  Not great, but certainly better.  Five of our 10 games so far have been against teams with winning records.  

These are UTSA's best wins this season.  Which one of these is UTSA's signature win (a 4-6 Illinois, a 5-5 MTSU, a 5-5 Memphis, a 6-4 WKU or a 6-4 UTEP)? 

They have obviously capitalized on a weak schedule this year.  Good for them.  We don't seem to be able to do that.  A 7-3 UAB will be their biggest test of the season.  I hope they get by UAB and come into Apogee at 11-0.  Regardless, I like our chances.  If history is any predictor, we will play our best game of the season.  It will be incredibly exciting, but in front of nobody as we knock off a ranked team in the first time in forever.

You know how this will end…UTSA is ranked, so they’re obviously very good. SL against good teams in his tenure here is putrid. Most of the time, the game is over at halftime. 

Now imagine UTSA, being undefeated, playing their Super Bowl opponent, at Apogee on Thanksgiving weekend in front of a few thousand fans…you never say never, but this sets up for a brutal outcome for another SL game against anyone with a pulse.

• Downvote 1

Any 10-0 team is going to be ranked, but there's a reason this 10-0 team isn't ranked higher than they are.  Let's see how the next 2 games go for them.  They get UAB at home, so that's another scheduling benefit in their favor.  UAB's loss to Rice is a bit of a head scratcher, but I think UTSA will have their hands full if UAB shows up.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Ray 1