What’s Wrong, Tom

Wag Tag

Here are some of the top posts you get from a "Herman" board search.

On 11/1/2021 at 11:30 AM, MeanGreenTexan said:

I suppose Graham wouldn't technically fall under the "rebound" guys since he's already rebounded at Hawaii.  He would be under the "Current HC - G5" category.

I'm not so sure about Herman.   Heckuva coach, but he may have burned too many bridges with TXHSFB coaches.   He'd really need to surround himself with good recruiters.

On 11/1/2021 at 10:54 AM, TheColonyEagle said:

Put me in the rebounding camp too

Justin Fuente

Mike Norvell

Scott Frost

Todd Graham

Neal Brown

Would kick the tires on Tom Herman and Kevin Sumlin

Somewhere along those lines ^

On 10/20/2021 at 10:22 PM, Jonnyeagle said:

Now that it looks like we have joined the AAC, Tom Herman would be the perfect fit to return to college football as the next head coach of the University of North Texas.

Tom was a fantastic coach at Houston and a big part of why they are now joining the Big 12 and become a coveted P5 program.   I tend to think that if he returns to college coaching, North Texas would be a terrific fit.

I know some will say Tom is a reach for us but I think he would like to get back into the game and show his ability to build a G5 program.

Tom will not come cheap but North Texas needs a proven winner and Tom has proven he can get us to the top of the AAC in short order. 

On 10/21/2021 at 9:50 PM, Cr1028 said:

Tom Herman and Zach Smith were thick as thieves until Herman ended up at Texas and tried to recruit against Ohio State. He was getting his tail kicked by them so he tried to bring down Urban Meyer by taking out Zach Smith. 

On 10/21/2021 at 9:44 PM, tmjerm said:

As a Cougar blood, I think Applewhite wasn’t really given a fair chance in a weird situation (in fact, with tanking and Covid, things haven’t been unweird since Herman left) and Tony was never a good fit at any point so I put those two in different categories entirely.  At first ponder I’d considered Tom, but there’s too much baggage and weirdness.  At Houston I found him endearing but by the time he got to Texas (and more of his Ohio State tenure culture came out) he became a bit too repulsive.  I tend to agree with the idea that it’s not a good play, though somewhat tempting in ways. 

On 10/21/2021 at 9:11 PM, NTXCoog said:

Herman is interesting.  He was a great motivator at Houston, but he's one of those coaches whose personality and methods quickly wear on people and would become less effective.  I think that's one reason he's never coached anywhere more than 4 years.

Another reason is he's the ultimate professional and social status climber. I thunk he felt Houston was beneath him, but a necessary step for his personal advancement.  What did he think of UH talent?  He said our DC made chicken salad out of chicken sh*t.  

I think Herman lwould prefer to rehab his college image as an OC at a high profile school instead of HC at a lower profile school.  He may try to stick in the NFL as a position coach and climb that ladder.

If he did coach at UNT, best case scenario is he's hyper successful and moves on in a couple of years, and UNT follows up with a successful next hire riding the positive wave.  If he stuck around after initial success, I think it wanes as he wears on people and apathy sets in with the fanbase satisfied with what he did at the start.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

He’s not liked by many HS head coaches and players in general, I’ll pass

Matt Ruhle from Temple to Baylor was a big reach for HS recruiting. You solve it by hiring a well known HS coach ( Mcquire) put him in recruiting. The transfer portal is going to be much more important than HS recruiting. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Matt Ruhle from Temple to Baylor was a big reach for HS recruiting. You solve it by hiring a well known HS coach ( Mcquire) put him in recruiting. The transfer portal is going to be much more important than HS recruiting. 

Rhule came in with a great reputation.  He had no Texas ties, but immediately hired guys like McGuire to fix that.
Tom Herman already has a reputation with Texas HS coaches, and it's not a very good one.  What he did at Houston was impressive though.   I dunno how much money he'd want, and again, he's a big gamble when it comes to trying to get talent in here.  Remember, he'll be going up against some very beloved guys in the TXHSFB circle.
Hope Wren talks to him though.

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 1

I don't know what the HS rumor mill is , but here are his classes with the majority being Texas kids.

2015, 89 Nationally -  7 AAC

2016 , 36 - 1 AAC

2017, 25 - 2 Big 12

2018, 3 - 1 Big 12

2019, 3 - 1 Big 12

Somebody had to like him? He should at least be a visit if interested.

• Upvote 1

On 11/12/2021 at 10:54 AM, Wag Tag said:

I don't know what the HS rumor mill is , but here are his classes with the majority being Texas kids.

2015, 89 Nationally -  7 AAC

2016 , 36 - 1 AAC

2017, 25 - 2 Big 12

2018, 3 - 1 Big 12

2019, 3 - 1 Big 12

Somebody had to like him? He should at least be a visit if interested.

Take 2016 with a grain of salt. Ed Oliver was going to UH whether Herman or Daffy Duck was the coach because of his brother. He truly wanted to go to LSU but didn’t want to miss out playing with his older brother who was recruited by Tony Levine’s staff. It makes you look pretty good when a 5 star falls in your lap.

And of course, Texas might be the easiest place to recruit to in the nation.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1