What would it take for you to have Seth come back?

Jonnyeagle

What would it take for you to have Seth come back?  

138 members have voted

1. 1. What needs to happed for Seth to come back?

• Needs to win UTEP and FIU
    • Needs to win FIU
    • Needs to win UTEP, FIU and UTSA but can lose the bowl
    • Needs to win UTEP, FIU, UTSA and the bowl game
    • It makes no difference; he needs to go
    • It makes no difference he needs to stay

19 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Actually, we hired him to build a $725k fence. We kept giving him raises up to the current $1.35M to not build $725k fences for other people. 

Oooh!   I like this.
Seth builds up what appears to be a very fine $725k fence.   How would we really know?   All we've had is a busted-up chain link fence for the past 40+ years.
Better pay him some more, you're absolutely right!   Lest he leaves to build Kansas State's fence.   
But for some reason (Most think it's because he lost his best post-setter in Harrell), 1/3 of his fence fell over, and now he's trying to put a nice cap on what's left of it.
It's a fine cap, and the first 1/2 of his fence still looks pretty great...   But what about the fence that fell down?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oooh!   I like this.
Seth builds up what appears to be a very fine $725k fence.   How would we really know?   All we've had is a busted-up chain link fence for the past 40+ years.
Better pay him some more, you're absolutely right!   Lest he leaves to build Kansas State's fence.   
But for some reason (Most think it's because he lost his best post-setter in Harrell), 1/3 of his fence fell over, and now he's trying to put a nice cap on what's left of it.
It's a fine cap, and the first 1/2 of his fence still looks pretty great...   But what about the fence that fell down?

man... i'm really excited to see how far this fence metaphor goes

• Haha 3

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oooh!   I like this.

Haha I like this.

My bar when the poll came out was beat FIU, he beat FIU and UTEP, so I’m good with him staying through at least the end of Bennett’s 2-year contract despite the ass kicking I expect to take next week. I will be there to watch history, regardless of the outcome. We will either beat a ranked team or watch UTSA’s first undefeated regular season.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 2

On 11/11/2021 at 6:18 PM, Tom McKrackin said:

I put Seth needs to go period and the reason why is his recruiting has stunk and even though his ranking are high I do not believe in the rankings and neither should anyone else.

The number of competitive FBS offers shared among our signees has also seen an increase under SL.  Thoughts on that?

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

For me to want him back? To never trail by more than 14 next week, ideally to win it. I would have to have real hope that the team can beat UTSA next season. He beat who he absolutely had to beat, with UTEP the only win over a team with more than 3 wins. Yes the team is kind of young and it could indeed be a decent deal better next season than this season. Yes the team has improved on discipline. but it came from really far. But I still have see zero signs that he is going to manage to materially improve the QB situation next season, and without that there is a clear ceiling on his program. He has been completely mismanaging that position and its coaches for 3 seasons running.

It should not be about one game. Alas the last 3 years have been completely devoid of high lights. The overall record against teams with winning records is abysmal. He gets a chance to materially improve hope that this will change in the last game of his 6th season. The reason that would be the line if I were tmaking decisions is that he does so in a tenure with zero post season victories (conference championship or bowl) and not getting within 20 points of that goal at any point after his first season. He wasn't hired to make bowl games or keep it respectable. He was hired to win the conference every once in a while and compete for the championship every season, and to win bowl games of quality fairly regularly. He gets paid according to that expectation and has resources both nominally and in comparison with the conference brethren, like no NT coach before. If he can't make UTSA really sweat, then there is nothing in this season that should make you believe that he will actually live up to the aforementioned standards at any point in the foreseeable future. That is even more the case, because it looks possible that Traylor may actually be successful and stay at UTSA for 2-3 more years

4 hours ago, greenminer said:

The number of competitive FBS offers shared among our signees has also seen an increase under SL.  Thoughts on that?

That is true and three years ago that looked to be his ticket to success at NT. In a case of unfortunate timing for him however, it has become less important because of the transfer rules, and SL has not adapted very successfully to that part. He is betting that keeping recruiting high ceiling HS guys will pay off long time, and that he can keep enough of them from going P5 when they show to be good or have to wait until they are ready. It could work out. But it is a risky bet and lots of programs have clearly veered to the other side of that bet.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

I think Seth comes back next year. I may not agree, but I think he will and here is why. If you read Brett's article  Five thoughts on UNT's win over Florida International, he states in his second thought  "It's time to acknowledge that UNT's defense has something going. We were told it would take some time for UNT to get used to Phil Bennett's system." I think the reporters were told that because they were setting the stage to give Seth those two years. I think Wren gives Seth those two years with Bennett as DC. I believe that's why the contract was two years only. Another reason is it lessens Seth's buyout. My last reason is because from what I have heard across this board, the real big money donors like Seth. I may not like it, but I think he gets one more year to turn this around. The only way I see him getting fired is if UTSA comes in here and absolutely destroys us. If we play them tough, I would bet money that Seth will be back for one more year.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

I think you are right in what you are saying.  The defense has improved but what has happened to the offense this year?   Well we have another big game Saturday for the SL era and I hope history does not repeat itself.  Big game, good attendance and a belly flop.    Love to see us win this game but I won't pick us to win because I jinx us when I do.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

FACT.... UNT has beaten nothing but bums this season.

UTEP is the only team we have beaten that will finish with a winning record, and that is because they beat a bunch of bums too (UTEP has yet to beat a team with a winning record this season). Littrell has to go at the end of this season. If he doesn't, this place will be like 2016 all over again. No one wants to see our fan base fractured next season or banners flying.

Wren needs to get rid of Seth and hire the right coach to lead us into the American. It's silly to even suggest that wins over Northwestern State (FCS), Rice (3-8), Southern Miss (2-9), UTEP (7-4), & FIU (1-10), merits Littrell deserving a 7th year at UNT. To keep Littrell for a 7th year would be very Old Denton.

Kind of hilarious how many people are willing to die on the Littrell hill. They use the most fickle arguments that merit that he should be back (defense has improved, team is almost bowl eligible), as if he hasn't had 6 years to make these marginal improvements. Almost like the beginning of the season didn't exist and we didn't get the pïss kicked out of us by the top of the conference. I distinctly remember a majority of this board ready to pack Littrell's bags themselves after UAB, Marshall, La Tech, etc. Also funny how wins against bottom of the barrel means he has turned this ship around yet a loss to an apparently awful La Tech team means nothing just because of when it happened in the schedule. Littrell needs to be gone. He's had plenty of time and resources.

• Upvote 5
  • Puking Eagle 1

31 minutes ago, Side.Show.Joe said:

FACT.... UNT has beaten nothing but bums this season.

UTEP is the only team we have beaten that will finish with a winning record, and that is because they beat a bunch of bums too (UTEP has yet to beat a team with a winning record this season). Littrell has to go at the end of this season. If he doesn't, this place will be like 2016 all over again. No one wants to see our fan base fractured next season or banners flying.

Wren needs to get rid of Seth and hire the right coach to lead us into the American. It's silly to even suggest that wins over Northwestern State (FCS), Rice (3-8), Southern Miss (2-9), UTEP (7-4), & FIU (1-10), merits Littrell deserving a 7th year at UNT. To keep Littrell for a 7th year would be very Old Denton.

What if he beats an 11-1 UTSA also with wins over bums?

Full disclosure: I am Seth’s hype man as long as he keeps winning.

it appears the players haven’t given up and are playing hard for SL and PB.

If the team hit a rough patch to start and have figured things out - I’d like to give them that benefit. Things could have spiraled pretty easily this season. And this team and these coaches appear to have turned a corner and have learned how to have the winners mentality half way through the season.

Edited by MeanMag
Add
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

10 hours ago, MeanMag said:

If the team hit a rough patch to start and have figured things out - I’d like to give them that benefit. Things could have spiraled pretty easily this season. And this team and these coaches appear to have turned a corner and have learned how to have the winners mentality half way through the season.

I mean, NutsaCK has also beaten teams that are better than bums. Apples to oranges. Or are we going to use that WW2 hypothetical again?

Edited by Rudy

27 minutes ago, Rudy said:

I mean, NutsaCK has also beaten teams that are better than bums. Apples to oranges. Or are we going to use that WW2 hypothetical again?

11 hours ago, MeanMag said:

While we debate this what should be our main target is drawing interests from smut! Colby Carthel. He’s a D2 natty winner, a program saver and he’s taken mostly sophomores to the FCS playoffs in 2 years of work 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

16 minutes ago, TalonsUp said:

While we debate this what should be our main target is drawing interests from smut! Colby Carthel. He’s a D2 natty winner, a program saver and he’s taken mostly sophomores to the FCS playoffs in 2 years of work 

If given the choice I imagine would choose Denton over Dallas. He’s way too down to earth to glad hand with those pompous a-holes.

Having said that, it would be an epic mistake by UNT if SMU were to snag him before us.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

I know what my vote was. 

But one thing I didn’t consider and it wasn’t a choice...And let’s all be honest with ourselves. NO ONE considered this scenario:

Littrell wins out and completely dismantles and out coaches and out prepares the more than likely coach of the year led 11-0 conference favorite. 

I don’t know what the bowl game is going to bring, but I know I don’t know what to think now. Does he go out and kill a good bowl opponent? 🤷🏼‍♂️

Cray

• Upvote 2

On 11/18/2021 at 4:23 PM, golfingomez said:

man... i'm really excited to see how far this fence metaphor goes

Seth used steel pipe fence posts when he started and switched to wooden fence posts after the Kansas State courting, expecting to be outta here sooner than later. Now his wooden fence posts are rotting at the base. 

I stand behind what I’ve said from the beginning of the season: conference title plus bowl win saves his job. 
Hire Skip Holtz…

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1