Buffalo (11/15/21)

MCMLXXX

Is it disappointing? Yes, because these kinds of win are what get the conference things and what get better seeding in case you do make it to the tournament. Also, you don't get lots of tourney caliber teams at home, which makes it feel even more like  a missed opportunity.

Why are some folks overreacting? People obviously always want more than they already had. That said, I suspect it is also because in the wider angle of the NT AD it was a bad fall on the field (even if off the field it was great), with football laying a complete egg to start the season so there was never any hope, and even soccer under-performing considerably by its standards. Consequently, there is a lack of excitement concerning on field results. It makes one really want to rely on basketball which completely brought all the excitement at the end of last season. But that is kind of an unfair expectation this season with a team that lost a lot, and will probably take a bit of time to get it all together and that is completely blameless for things going on elsewhere

Is it completely surprising? No. This is a decent opponent bringing back a good bit, and NT has to replace the majority of production on its team. Moreover I don't remember coach Mac teams ever starting the season with a red hot win streak against top opposition. Uses these games more to teach the kids how to handle these kinds of opponents later on. This definitely will be something he uses to teach.

Is it concerning? Not really. Its a close loss that implies that there is quality in the team, just not yet the complete mental fortitude that basketball requires at the end of games. Past evidence shows that if the team stays at least somewhat healthy it is likely that coach will have them learning how to seal the deal and win close ones by January, so no need to panic in the greater view of things. Its just that if the team somehow does get to the NCAA this is a missed opportunity to notch a win over a potentially fellow NCAA team and improve seeding and excitement.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

We just had a cold streak at a bad time.  Mac was substituting players and looking at combination.   He use the pre conference schedule to find tune his teams.  Disappointed we lost but was a very winnable game and the team is still trying to find its chemistry.   It will come with a few bumps along the way. I am surprised Murray is staring over Perry.  

Did see some players taking it to the rim last night.  Our free throw shooting is not as good as it was last year.  We won in most of the stats but they got hot from the three line and we went ice cold from everywhere.   We will contend for the top spot in the conference.

Probably a game we should've won. But this team is basically being rebuilt from one of the best teams we've had. They're going to have to gel a little and figure it out. 

If this game is played in January/February, I would expect to win. That was a fairly experienced Buffalo team, I think I saw that they're one of the oldest teams in the nation?

• Upvote 1

Guys,
I have a confession:   This loss is totally my fault.
I got home after my boy's soccer practice, rushed to turn on a UNT: 56 - Buffalo: 45 game, and proceeded to provide all the bad juju we needed to miss just about every shot I saw us take (sometimes not even touching the rim) and made Buffalo look like Villanova, just shooting unconscious.

I'll be sure to never do this again.   It's either tune in to the start of the game, or come to the SuperPit in person, but never start watching on TV midway through a game.

I'm so sorry.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1
  • Pissed 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Guys,
I got home after my boy's soccer practice, rushed to turn on a UNT: 56 - Buffalo: 45 game, and proceeded to provide all the bad juju we needed to miss just about every shot I saw us take (sometimes not even touching the rim) and made Buffalo look like Villanova, just shooting unconscious.

I'll be sure to never do this again.   It's either tune in to the start of the game, or come to the SuperPit in person, but never start watching on TV midway through a game.

I'm so sorry.

Mad Season 2 GIF by Rick and Morty

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Guys,

I'm so sorry.

Angry Kevin Costner GIF by Yellowstone

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Guys,

I'm so sorry.

impractical jokers trash GIF by truTV

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

• 4 weeks later...