Buffalo (11/15/21)

MCMLXXX

1 minute ago, Marty said:

We let that one slip away. Buffalo shot lights out there at the end & we couldn't hit anything. Good showing against a good team though. 

This team has a LOT of talent...but they haven't learned how to win yet.  They don't yet know how to put their foot on someone's throat

• Upvote 6
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

13 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

well...I see the sports-intelligence level of posters hasn't improved...so see ya. 

We scored 6 points to their 15 the last 6:30 minutes of the game after being in the lead most of the game. What else would you call it?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 2

11 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

Wow, really? I am not one for moral victories, but this team fought hard against a really good Buffalo team. I think we could win CUSA again.

We are fully healthy and playing a beatable opponent at home. This was a game we 100% should have won. As is the UTA game. I am worried about our post play. Osume is much improved (I’m very impressed); however after him we have no-one. We lost a lot at the end of last season including my guys who could ride the bench just as well as the many other guys who seem to be riding it. Our off-season was extremely lack luster. Our best recruit seems to be a 5’10’ JUCO player. 

I miss the days when we could bring in local guys like Jordan Williams or Chris Jones and run it. We need to get much better at recruiting. 

it honestly feels like a lost year because we potentially wasted all the moment from going to the round of 32 by letting our 3 best players walk. Then letting other younger player walk…. And then not be able to replace any of them. We play 7 guys pretty much at 6 of them we’re on the roster last season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Ray 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 4

Just now, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

We scored 6 points to their 15 the last 6:30 minutes of the game after being in the lead most of the game. What else would you call it?

We were missing layups and open shots as well. That doesn’t mean this team isn’t good and won’t improve (in fact, this specific game will probably help moving forward) but we should not have lost from the position we were in despite the Buffalo shooting streak. 

• Upvote 4

NT should have won the game, but one team got hot and the other went ice cold at the end of the game. 

This is an inexperienced team.   Instead of bashing Osmane, I thought he looked real good for his first competition against a tough inside team. 

Disappointing loss, but this didn't change my mind that NT is going to be good and challenge for the CUSA championship.

• Upvote 6

16 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

well...I see the sports-intelligence level of posters hasn't improved...so see ya. 

"In sports, choking is the failure of a person, or persons, to act or behave as anticipated or expected. This can occur in a game or tournament that they are strongly favoured to win, or in an instance where they have a large lead that they squander in the late stages of the event."

not sure where you get off, but Perry not making a shot down the stretch, us losing out on second chance opportunities under the rim, and not stopping a huge run at the end there seemed to really be a 'choke' moment.

And I'll have you know that I won best improved at my basketball summer camp in middle school, and am currently the best bench warmer my team has ever seen in my adult league. 

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, Mean Green Matt said:

We were missing layups and open shots as well. That doesn’t mean this team isn’t good and won’t improve (in fact, this specific game will probably help moving forward) but we should not have lost from the position we were in despite the Buffalo shooting streak. 

Of course not. This isn't a bad team at all, but what you described is the definition of a choke job. We should have won that game. Just hoping they use it to learn how to close out future games.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Andrew said:

We are fully healthy and playing a beatable opponent at home. This was a game we 100% should have won. As is the UTA game. I am worried about our post play. Osume is much improved (I’m very impressed); however after him we have no-one. We lost a lot at the end of last season including my guys who could ride the bench just as well as the many other guys who seem to be riding it. Our off-season was extremely lack luster. Our best recruit seems to be a 5’10’ JUCO player. 

I miss the days when we could bring in local guys like Jordan Williams or Chris Jones and run it. We need to get much better at recruiting. 

it honestly feels like a lost year because we potentially wasted all the moment from going to the round of 32 by letting our 3 best players walk. Then letting other younger player walk…. And then not be able to replace any of them. We play 7 guys pretty much at 6 of them we’re on the roster last season. 

Are we really criticizing a team that lost most of their scoring in Hamlet and Reese? Not to mention Simmons, who was our rock in the middle. Abou has vastly improved. 

I guess we should expect more from a team that has lost most of their scorers and has younger talent. 🙄

What did you expect us to do? It really is about growing the players you have recruited. If Perry turns into a Hamlet replacement and then you have McBride step up to be a Reese replacement, are you really that upset?

Edited by BigWillie
  • Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, BigWillie said:

Are we really criticizing a team that lost most of their scoring in Hamlet and Reese? Not to mention Simmons, who was our rock in the middle. Abou has vastly improved. 

I guess we should expect more from a team that has lost most of their scorers and has younger talent. 🙄

What did you expect us to do? It really is about growing the players you have recruited. If Perry turns into a Hamlet replacement and then you have McBride step up to be a Reese replacement, are you really that upset?

I’m not upset, just unimpressed with how we recruited after our best season in school history. Jones and Benford were able to bring in top recruiting classes and neither had the season Mcasland had. We will still probably hit 20 and contend with the top 2-3 teams in conference, but more could have been done. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, drex said:

Think about what if Benford had been coaching us and go get a good sleep.

The most Benford game of all time was Creighton at the Pit. Like a 25+ point lead that evaporated in the 2nd half. Somehow we won, but that's what I thought of tonight...

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Here's my thoughts.

This is only the second game of the year, I have to tell myself that because it is so easy to get frustrated after a loss.

This was a pretty bad loss, in the fact NT let a huge game slip away at HOME. So much talent for that to happen, but then again this is a team with very limited experience together. For sure a learning game on both sides. 

Rubin HAS to get back into his groove before the injury. He looks way too hesitant and not confident from deep. We need him down the road.

Tylor Perry looks ALL CONFERENCE!!! He has really made a great transition from JUCO so far, now it'll be interesting to see how he can play against the meat of the schedule. Very reliable from deep.

Lock Bell inside the Pit for the night to fix his shot hahaha jeeeez he was bricking from deep...

It really sucks that we lost a game where we had control for the majority of it, but oh well. Plenty more basketball to be played, and I have full faith in McCasland to get us on the right track come conference play!!

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1