Sights and Sounds of the Green Brigade

Coach Andy Mac

9 hours ago, Coach Andy Mac said:

Too bad the sideline doesn't afford them more room. One of the few positives of Fouts. I remember one time the drum line was performing one of their better routines (the 747) . There was room for the drumline to do their big finish by spreading out in the shape of an airliner and do a full turn as if it was getting ready to take off, with one of the GB members wearing ear protectors and flashlights in both hands and guiding them into position. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Eye Roll 1

Is it true that NT Drumline created the “hit the drumstick of the drummer next to you” technique?

My first recall of the Drumline was in 1980 when they passed one stick to the drummer next to them, and the guy on the end left-hand tossed his drumstick over the line to the drummer on the other end of the line…who immediately incorporated the newly acquired stick into the routine all others on the line were doing.

GMG

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, DeepGreen said:

At the end was that a peace sign or hook em horn sign?

There is no doubt in my adle mind that he is giving the hook em horns sign. 

Wait, on second thought, maybe he was displaying some school spirit and showing the claw? Not even one of your options

Screen Shot 2021-11-11 at 9.44.22 PM.png

• Upvote 3

Rather than create a new thread about the GB, I thought I would just add my belated thoughts regarding their performance at the Homecoming game.  And I don't say this lightly....FANTASTIC! This is one of the most enjoyable post-McAdow performances by this ensemble that I can ever remember. 

I still believe that 430+ members is unwieldy, but that is mainly in the part where they get out on the field.....mainly by fleeing down the two sidelines  It's my hope that they find a way to perfect it. But once they are assembled it's SHOW TIME! 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

Rather than create a new thread about the GB, I thought I would just add my belated thoughts regarding their performance at the Homecoming game.  And I don't say this lightly....FANTASTIC! This is one of the most enjoyable post-McAdow performances by this ensemble that I can ever remember. 

I still believe that 430+ members is unwieldy, but that is mainly in the part where they get out on the field.....mainly by fleeing down the two sidelines  It's my hope that they find a way to perfect it. But once they are assembled it's SHOW TIME! 

Knowing you are passionate about the GB and seeing how great they are doing this year, I had wondered if the fact that they still run onto the field tarnished the experience for you.  

• Upvote 3

On 11/18/2021 at 12:46 PM, UNT 90 Grad said:

Knowing you are passionate about the GB and seeing how great they are doing this year, I had wondered if the fact that they still run onto the field tarnished the experience for you.  

Sorry for the belated response. The running onto the field doesn't bother me as much as it would have in the past. Mainly because it appears that "Fessor Cook" is still working on the "how to get 430+ band members out on the field in a timely manner" logistical challenge. He (and I suppose the College of Music as well) seems to be committed to this "enlarged" ensemble.  BUT this group delivers when it comes to "musical presentation". And for that I can (temporarily) subdue my disappointment. Running out on the field and finding your mark and THEN announcing that the show can then begin is too.....well....stilted. What every great College Band does is make a grand entrance that feeds the crowds "football fever" for their favorite team. And it's the first big "crowd participation" event that kind of sets the tone for the rest of the game.

He's getting there by producing the first ever fanfare that has strains of the North Texas fight song blended in.  That is a  beginning, BUT instead of then playing "American Emblem" (an excellent Fightn' Aggie Band tune) to get the band to the center of the field they should be high steppin' (or fast shuffling) down the field to "North Texas Fight" instead of playing it while standing in place. The band is supposed to be producing/triggering energy from the crowd.  American Emblem ain't getting done for me. The formation that includes the curfew/spirit Bell is a great new tradition for the Band.

BUT where they do produce a great amount of energy is their main "show".  The UTEP show was probably the best I've seen since Maurice McAdow retired. 

If the GB wants to play a march in order to get from one place in the field to another, I have suggested to other Directors a march that was written by a NT graduate student. I can't remember the name of it, but it was a Spanish style March. It was quite good. It was introduced either at the 1974 or 1976 SMU game at Texas Stadium. Or it could have been the Houston game at Texas stadium in 1975. I only heard it played just once.

Anyway, IMHO we have a real winner in "Fessor Cook". 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1