FBS Coaching Changes

El Paso Eagle

2 hours ago, wardly said:

Bull shit. He got a great opportunity and took it, like Hayden did when he went to Iowa in the middle of the night.

It's starting to be wide spread knowledge that Riley wanted no part of the SEC and even went as far as advocating against it. Knowing that and not even being but a few months away from that announcement happening, take it for what you will. 

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

I’m hoping his love of Texas will keep him at SFA until we are ready for him.

Honestly, if Carthel is the coach we think he could be, it would be nice for him to cut his teeth in FBS at LATech, who'd likely pay him around $500-750K/yr.   If he does well there, and we happen to be in the market, we could almost quadruple his salary as we are now.  Plus he'd get a step up to the AAC instead of C-USA... climbing the ladder!

I think he'd do really well in Ruston with his EastTX connections.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 2

10 hours ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

It's starting to be wide spread knowledge that Riley wanted no part of the SEC and even went as far as advocating against it. Knowing that and not even being but a few months away from that announcement happening, take it for what you will. 

I can't say that I blame him. In the PAC 12 he just has to beat Oregon. In the SEC He is looking at A&M ,Arkansas, Mississippi, LSU, Auburn, Alabama, Georgia, etc. Plus living is L.A. vs Norman has its pluses.Maybe you are right.However coaches usually leave for greener pastures and a lot more money. Any word on the fate of Harrell/

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, southsideguy said:

has this year seen more hc changes than usual or have I just been paying more attention.

From Footballscoop.com

There have been twenty three FBS head coaching change so far this season. Number of changes over the past 11 seasons: 22 (2008), 23 (2009), 24 (2010), 28 (2011), 31 (2012), 20 (2013), 15 (2014), 29 (2015), 21 (2016), 21 (2017), 28 (2018), and 24 (2019) 17 (2020). 

• Thanks 3

13 hours ago, wardly said:

I thought TCU rubbed Patterson's face on the dirt when they flew Sonny into the stadium  on a helicopter with fireworks, but hey, that's just me.

Not really as you have to make the new coach the center of all attention for recruits, transfers and player retention. The King is dead, long live the King. 

2 hours ago, southsideguy said:

Wow, I guess it just the tis season for coach changes in NCAA football. Maybe it just started earlier this year which makes it seem like a lot more????

Partly true. The number isn't really much higher yet than in other years yet. However, the openings are not all done yet at currently 22 I think.

i) two three schools may fire their coaches after bowl games. Who knows if this could be the case for UNT for example.

ii) some of the current openings are at schools with powerful jobs, which may pluck sitting HCs from elsewhere which may then pluck HCs from further down the hierarchy. For example if OU gets Venable, Baylor opens and is likely taking a G5 HC, depending on which G5, they may again turn around and take someone elses coach. Similiarly if ND takes Fickell. Vtech and several other P5 jobs are also still open.

i can see it getting to 30 easily.

Edited by outoftown

On 12/1/2021 at 8:53 AM, southsideguy said:

Wow, I guess it just the tis season for coach changes in NCAA football. Maybe it just started earlier this year which makes it seem like a lot more????

I think the early signing period has something to do with the earlier coaching changes? One of our recruiting gurus can answer better than I can

2 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

And retain Rees as OC. Kind of telling on Kelly that he couldn't convince either of his coordinators to join him in Baton Rouge.

I don't know about that.  Why would Freeman turn down arguably the most prestigious HC gig in the country to be an assistant at LSU?  And Rees is a ND alum.

• Upvote 3

Colorado State just fired their head coach:

Steve Addazio out as CSU football coach after 16 games

Steve Addazio’s time as Colorado State football coach is done after 16 games.

The 62-year-old veteran coach has been let go by the school Thursday, less than a week after the Rams ended the 2021 season.

Multiple sources told the Coloradoan that the team met with athletic director Joe Parker at 11 a.m., and those sources confirm the staff was pulled off the road recruiting. 

CSU announced the move shortly after 11 a.m.

LINK:  https://www.coloradoan.com/story/sports/csu/football/2021/12/02/colorado-state-football-coach-steve-addazio-out-after-2-seasons/8838063002/

• Upvote 1