Tuesday Press Conference Notes

UNTLifer

https://247sports.com/college/north-texas/Article/Presser-Notes-North-Texas-Mean-Green-football-look-to-maintain-momentum-versus-UTEP-Miners-174926634/

Decimated defensive backfield staying afloat

In a season full of injuries, North Texas’ secondary has been the most recent victim. News broke Saturday night that cornerback Quinn Whitlock, who started six games, is out for the season. Junior cornerback John Davis Jr. started six of the first seven games before missing the last two after suffering an injury, though he was available against Southern Miss and will be again this week.

Adding onto those injury issues, cornerback Upton Stout has entered the transfer portal. Stout played in four games and started two before missing the last four.

In those three players’ absence, starting safety DeShawn Gaddie has moved to cornerback the last two weeks and linebacker Sean-Thomas Faulkner has started at safety. True freshman Ridge Texada has taken on the other starting cornerback role and been serviceable. Gaddie was beaten deep for the Golden Eagles’ lone offensive touchdown last week, but otherwise the secondary held up.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Regarding the defensive backfield, what has happened to players like Jordan Rucker, Keelan Crosby, and Jordan Nichols?  Has Texada, a walk-on, surpassed these others on the depth chart or are they more suited to play safety?

Crosby and Nichols are safeties. Crosby is on the two-deep at safety behind Sanders. Rucker, no clue what’s going on there.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Crosby and Nichols are safeties. Crosby is on the two-deep at safety behind Sanders. Rucker, no clue what’s going on there.

Dillion Williams (last year's 2nd-best recruit according to 247) and Cinque Williams (lots of preseason buzz) couldn't beat Texada?   Testament to Texada's work ethic I suppose.

• Sad 1

23 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Dillion Williams (last year's 2nd-best recruit according to 247) and Cinque Williams (lots of preseason buzz) couldn't beat Texada?   Testament to Texada's work ethic I suppose.

Both safeties.  

41 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

18 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Both safeties.  

Dillion Williams has played Corner all year. Was listed as a safety but has been at corner since the clips started coming out of fall camp. I believe Cinque has been in that nickel role.

Williams was ahead of Texada earlier in the year but was injured and I think that’s when Texada passed him. Williams was active this past game so we could see his reps start going back up now.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Dillion Williams has played Corner all year. Was listed as a safety but has been at corner since the clips started coming out of fall camp. I believe Cinque has been in that nickel role.

Williams was ahead of Texada earlier in the year but was injured and I think that’s when Texada passed him. Williams was active this past game so we could see his reps start going back up now.

Thanks. Names on the back of jerseys would help with knowing who is on the field. Crap, now I'm officially old. 🧓

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1