Mean Green Pro Golf Mega Thread

Mean Green Matt

My how the Houston Open has fallen.  It used to be a couple weeks prior to the Master's with the course set in preparation for Augusta.  Now it is an end of year after thought.  Too bad, because there is great history with that tournament.  I do like that it is now hosted at Memorial which is a great muni and anyone can play there.

On 11/10/2021 at 3:36 PM, Mean Green Matt said:

Maybe @outoftowncan give a Euro tour update. 

Not having lots of time to look it up like usually.

Ian Snyman is -for the moment- still on the big easy tour in South Africa. He is rocking that tour, is 4th in money for the year and had 5 top ten placings just in the last 10 weeks plus a top ten in South Africas premier tour (which is moneywise just barely higher than Europes second level). I am pretty sure that will earn him a promotion eventually.

Things have not been  going equally good for Kristoff Ulnaers and Thomas Rosenmueller who have been playing on the challenge tour primarily (europes second tier. Since his win Ulnaers has not managed too much and slid to 40ieth in the yearly standings with about 40k in winnings for the year. At least he has made the cut in his last two outings.

Rosenmüller was in danger of being demoted from the challenge tour as he is currently 139th with only 6k in winnings. His best result was a 9th spot about two months ago. The good news is that he went to Korn Ferry qualifying and made the final tournament., shot a great last round with a course record and moved from 67th to 11th, which guarentees him 8 starts on the Korn Ferry tour (Americas second level and the most direct lane towards PGA.

The Korn ferry tour just did its Q-school, but I didn't do the deep dive to see who other than Rosenmüller entered and made it how far. PGA tour Latinoamerica is currently doing its qualifying tournaments, not sure who has entered.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1. Sebastian Munoz (-10): Munoz needed to play the last three holes in 2 under to shoot 59, and he only managed to play them in 1 under as he missed a 11-foot putt on No. 17 that would have set him up for the magic number. Still, it was a great start to the event for somebody looking for win No. 2 of his career, and he did it mostly from tee to green, which for him should be sustainable for the next three days. He said afterward he was proud of not putting a 5 on his card all day.

"It's a thing I used to do back in college," said Munoz. "It was the challenge of the day trying not to make a 5 on the scorecard with my fellow college team players. So that's when I know I play my best, when I don't make a 5."

https://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/2021-rsm-classic-leaderboard-pga-tour-single-round-scoring-average-threatened-in-round-1-at-sea-island/

15 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Munoz tied for second heading to the final round, three shots out of the lead. Followed his great opening round -12 by shooting even par in round two and -1 today. FYI, rounds two and three were on a different course. 

Definitely within striking distance. Would be helpful if Gooch has a bad day. 

On 11/23/2021 at 1:15 AM, DeepGreen said:

Our two guys are pulling in some large Benjamins on the pro tour.  Good for them.  I wish we could get a few more UNT players on the pro tour.

well, with Rosenmuller and Ulnaers on the second level tours in Europe /USA next season, there is at least a chance at increasing this number. Snyman also looks like he will move up to a second level (I consider south africas first level tour as second level, because of its pay) somewhere soon. If it were not for COVID interferring I think he already would have.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2

• 2 months later...

Apparently Ian Snyman has now moved up to the asian tour. He has played 3 tournaments so far and made the cut each time, ended up between 20ieth and 45th each time. currently ranked 464th on world golf ranking.

Rosenmuller made his first cut on the Korn Ferry (formerly web.com tour), but then could not convert on it (69th). Currently 670ieth on world golf ranking

European tours have not yet picked up again, Ulenaers is currently 410th on owgr.com 

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...