CUSA to MAC - Still Pending

El Paso Eagle

MAC: Brett McMurphy tweets that no final decision on adding WKU and MTSU has been made, and a deal likely hinges on if MTSU will join the league. If they decide to stay in C-USA, the MAC is unlikely to extend an invite to only WKU and the hang up with MTSU is financial, McMurphy adds.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

MAC: Brett McMurphy tweets that no final decision on adding WKU and MTSU has been made, and a deal likely hinges on if MTSU will join the league. If they decide to stay in C-USA, the MAC is unlikely to extend an invite to only WKU and the hang up with MTSU is financial, McMurphy adds.

If I’m a Blue Raider fan, I’m pissed at leadership if they don’t get into the MAC.

• Upvote 4

I don’t know why the financials for MTSU would be a hold up.  The only consideration in a deal should be can they financially stay afloat with whatever the MAC is offering.  You don’t worry about the comfort in the lifeboats as you get off the Titanic.  If the lifeboat is seaworthy you just get in and worthy about everything else later. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

I don’t know why the financials for MTSU would be a hold up.  The only consideration in a deal should be can they financially stay afloat with whatever the MAC is offering.  You don’t worry about the comfort in the lifeboats as you get off the Titanic.  If the lifeboat is seaworthy you just get in and worthy about everything else later. 

I sure the Tue-Wed games are a concern for many

• Eye Roll 1

5 hours ago, Mean Green 93-98 said:

Not sure I follow.  Are you saying they're trying to crush WKY's dreams to enter the MAC?

Kinda

They are going as a package deal, and MTSU seems like they don’t want to leave just to screw over wku

That’s my thinking

Report from yesterday says CUSA adding FCS programs Sam Houston and Jacksonville State.  Sam Houston I would be okay with.  But less than 5k student public university Jacksonville State doesn’t calm the Titanic vibes I am getting from CUSA if I am an alumni or fan of WKU or MTSU.    The additions of Liberty and NMSU make sense.  

I just cruised the MTSU fan forums and from what I could gather The Blue Raiders have no money to pay exit fee from CUSA and entrance fee to MAC. In addition there were  little if any long term financial benefits for them joining the MAC , plus the MAC  presidents were rather luke warm on expansion. W. Ky. is upset because they wanted to make the move but it was either both or none.  An announcement from the MAC will say that the conference just decided not to expand at this time.If this plays out then CUSA lives to play another day. They now have 9 programs with possibility of adding more 1AA programs moving up. Their new logo should include a cat.

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

Its just a thing of wonder how  in the end all the involved players (conference, schools) just say whatever makes them look best, no matter what the reality behind the scenes is. Apparently it is always their "decision" even if it is the consequence of somebody else who took a decision. Mac was interested...but not enough to forego entrance fees or end up at an uneven number.

That said, if keeping those two, that will definitely help C-USA overall, but somehow it puts UTEP and NMSU further out on an geographical island away from everyone else and puts the voting power further east. They now don't need to bring in anyone else for all sports and if they add Uconn football only the northeaster part doesn't even look that horrible geographically.

Only problem is the giant gulf in financial commitment between Liberty and everyone else.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 1