DRC (updated with story): Upton Stout is in the transfer portal

Brett Vito

1 minute ago, MeanGreenDan said:

I thought he was injured?

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

The fact that he hasn't been starting all year (sans injuries) is completely infuriating. Quinn Whitlock has been picked on every game he's played

I think he's only been hurt the last week or two. My point is he should've been starting from the get go

• Upvote 3

The first of many, I'm afraid...coaches know that blood is in the water around here, no matter what happens. Recruiters know SL is Dead Man Walking, whether its this year or, sadly and most likely, after next year.

When a program sucks, and the roster is full of untapped potential for highly rated recruits like we have, its gonna look like a freaking bus station here pretty soon.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 3

3 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Perhaps "math is over rated?"

Possibly. Some, like Erik, have extenuating circumstances. Many of the others have had recruiters blowing smoke for the past several years: starting positions, NFL aspirations, caviar dreams and champagne wishes at every school, only to find they're 3rd or 4th on the depth chart. It happens everywhere.

They can hit the transfer portal, but they better take a case of Dr Pepper with them.

Dr Pepper Soda, 12 fl oz cans, 24 pack

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, Mo Green said:

Dumpster Fire is warranted...

Many of them were a reach to begin with, found they were over their heads, and are leaving to find some place that they can actually contribute.

I can't blame them. I'm grateful they gave it their best shot. Best of luck to them.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

• Brett Vito changed the title to DRC (updated with story): Upton Stout is in the transfer portal
37 minutes ago, ADLER said:

Many of them were a reach to begin with, found they were over their heads, and are leaving to find some place that they can actually contribute.

I can't blame them. I'm grateful they gave it their best shot. Best of luck to them.

Many are, Upton wasn't.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is the problem with letting an open wound fester.

If Wren would let Littrell go, and call coach Cobbs, coach Mainord, or even coach Bennett (if he'd stick around) the interim, he can meet with the existing roster & encourage them to hang around and see who he will hire as a replacement.  He wouldn't have to give a bunch of details about the search, just speak to them frankly.

But leaving these guys in limbo for the next few weeks, keeping the possibility that Littrell returns in the mix, is asking a lot of them because they need to put themselves out there to be recruited for a December transfer.

If finances truly aren't a concern... which we've been told they're NOT, then I really don't understand the wait.

I hope the thinking in the AD isn't "what if SL wins out...maybe we keep him".  If so, that's really scary.

Interesting to note the quantity of kids in Stout's specific recruiting class leaving for greener pastures. This is certainly the nature of the beast (with the 1 time transfer rule + transfer portal) in today's game. Fair question: Was the character of these kids deeply evaluated, or did we just try to sign the best CUSA class on paper? No one will truly be able to uncover this, but it's worth exploring and debating.