Joey McGuire to TTU…

Billy Clyde

1 minute ago, Cr1028 said:

You guys are looney if you think us signing him on Monday would’ve prevented Tech from signing him on Tuesday.

Yeah, if Tech wanted him, they were going to get him by any means necessary. I'm sure the whole Traylor debacle only lit more of a fire under their brasses ass to get the guy they want this time. I'm sure most of us knew McGuire coming here was only a pipe dream. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

https://247sports.com/Article/Texas-Tech-coaching-search-Red-Raiders-hiring-Baylors-Joey-McGuire-174830195/

Whether or not McGuire will immediately leave Baylor for Texas Tech remains to be seen. According to Yahoo Sports' Pete Thamel, McGuire "is still in Waco and preparing to take the Texas Tech job later today" but "expected to start immediately" with Texas Tech's focus on the Early Signing Period.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

2 hours ago, wardly said:

They both have the successful Texas high school background that I hope our new coach has, but not many of those guys around.

Being able to attract guys from the transfer portal will become more important than recruiting HS players. The transfers will also reduce the opportunity for the JUCO players. Give me somebody that can evaluate and develop talent.

• Upvote 5

15 minutes ago, Mo Green said:

If we signed him to a contract, there would be a hefty buy out clause so lose him and gain $$$.

You really believe folks on this board would be like “it’s no big deal, we got a little extra cash”? Because the board I know and love would have the pitchforks out screaming traitor and saying why commit to us when you weren’t really committed.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Imagine watching two teams in Texas fire their coaches in the middle of the season, watching one of them make an actual hire in the middle of the season, and then look at a team that has won 4 games in each of the last 2 seasons with the same head coach, but because he has beaten a 3-win Rice team in OT, a 2-win FCS spare, and a 1-win USM squad so far, said head coach has a job for the rest of this season. And probably gets another year to be head coach if he can climb that huge mountain of beating a 1-win team that sounds like an airport, Florida International University.

Only at North Texas has been the cry over the years by several of us old-timers. Unfortunately, it appears to still be a strong reality.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 2

3 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Interesting that TT had to hire an Assistant HC after Traylor turned them down. He has great experience, but the big point is he is a Texas guy. Lubbock is a tough sell. 

And now they won’t be selling the idea of playing UT and OU every year. Same for the rest of the Big 12. Think they are on a slow descent into G6 land over the next several years. 

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2