Recruiting verses Traylor in Texas

El Paso Eagle

• All About UNT changed the title to Recruiting verses Traylor in Texas

I mean people in East Texas like him. I know coaches in East Texas that think he is an ass. I spoke to a UNT coach that use to recruit East Texas, and he was getting annoyed with Traylor. He said he would find these under the radar kids, offer them a scholarship, and a few days later Traylor would offer them. This happened when he was at SMU and Arkansas. As the late Al Davis once said, "Just win baby". Winning fixes everything. Win, and they will come. 

• Upvote 1

I know that Traylor is the greatest high school recruiter in the history of the world…..but I noticed last night about 3 plays in a row. And the play by play highlighted all 3 plays from each player:

”transfer from Kansas”

“transfer from Wash St”

“Transfer from ________” (I don’t remember)

It was 3 players in a row that made plays. All 3 transfers. 

He seems to have a fair amount of transfers making plays. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2

5 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

I know that Traylor is the greatest high school recruiter in the history of the world…..but I noticed last night about 3 plays in a row. And the play by play highlighted all 3 plays from each player:

”transfer from Kansas”

“transfer from Wash St”

Exactly. Just like SMU, he's not missing on these transfer players. That will be the key for the next coach.

• Upvote 2

40 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

”transfer from Kansas”

“transfer from Wash St”

Seems to be a more and more common thing you here in almost every football game. We have to find a way to improve our recruiting of transfers.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

We just will have to admit he'll get his pick off the litter, and we take the rest.

That's my "if Seth is still here" answer. 

You may not like the message but for the most part this is true.  A recruit would need to like something pertaining to our academics, or location better than UTSA to come here.   Or maybe it could be a playing time consideration for a player at a position UTSA is already deep at or UTSA has miss on their evaluation of.  Not a good position to be in.  I think we are firmly behind SMU and UTSA in recruiting until Traylor team struggles, Seth gets back to back winning seasons, or Seth is replaced.  Seth or the next coach has a hard task ahead of them for the next 3 years minimum.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1

13 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Taylor will be a challenge in recruiting. We all know he's a favorite among HS coaches.

Just heard on the TV broadcast that there are 7 other former Texas HS coaches on his staff.

Hopefully this causes us to work even harder to improver our talent.

247 says that Traylor’s 2021 class (his first full recruiting cycle) wasn’t as good as Seth’s.

I am a little jealous he has Tommy Perry on staff though.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

247 says that Traylor’s 2021 class (his first full recruiting cycle) wasn’t as good as Seth’s.

I am a little jealous he has Tommy Perry on staff though.

Wish he (Perry) was still here. Taking nothing from Seth's class and I hope we continue to get even better recruits. I believe especially when it comes to 3-stars recruits the ability to find players with upside potential and player development is critical along with the ability to attract transfers who ca contribute. 

This one hurts

image.png.3a818ce46a006fb95677c4081b4c7bc1.png

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Wish he (Perry) was still here. Taking nothing from Seth's class and I hope we continue to get even better recruits. I believe especially when it comes to 3-stars recruits the ability to find players with upside potential and player development is critical along with the ability to attract transfers who ca contribute. 

Agreed. SL should have never let Perry go. Found this old thread while searching for Perry;

Edited by Marty
  • Upvote 1

Again, in Year 10 of playing FBS Football, UTSA is undefeated and ranked 15th in the latest poll.

I mean, what kind of wizardry is this? I mean, we have been playing CFB for 90 years longer than them and have not been ranked since 1978. 

Seriously, how can you explain that a start-up program like theirs is the 15th best team in the country and our best finish since the Iran Hostage Crisis is to receive votes? I'm starting to think we have been cursed...

4 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Again, in Year 10 of playing FBS Football, UTSA is undefeated and ranked 15th in the latest poll.

I mean, what kind of wizardry is this? I mean, we have been playing CFB for 90 years longer than them and have not been ranked since 1978. 

Seriously, how can you explain that a start-up program like theirs is the 15th best team in the country and our best finish since the Iran Hostage Crisis is to receive votes? I'm starting to think we have been cursed...

I'm I'm being 100% honest, I sometimes believe that there are a few influential people, somewhere behind the scenes, that truly want NT to remain small time.   We have die hard fans, on this very board, that would prefer we go 6-6, make some low level bowl, get blown out, and keep SL.

Edited by Rudy
  • Upvote 1
  • RV 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

We should play teams with a combined record of 22-42 to start the year.

*22-42 was prior to playing UTEP.

If you exclude last week, the combined record of the FBS teams UTSA played was 24-40 and the FBS teams we played was 35-29.

55% vs 38%. it is safe to say the ‘runners haven’t had a very difficult road thus far.

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

On 11/9/2021 at 6:45 AM, Cr1028 said:

If you exclude last week, the combined record of the FBS teams UTSA played was 24-40 and the FBS teams we played was 35-29.

55% vs 38%. it is safe to say the ‘runners haven’t had a very difficult road thus far.

Of course, that stat includes us…

• Sad 1