Don’t take the fool’s gold

emmitt01

24 minutes ago, StealthEagle84 said:

Oh yes, Aune has made some terrible throws. Like I said, he’s been subpar. We need a QB for sure. I’ve actually wondered what this offense would’ve looked like with Bean this year. Bean was not a good passer but we’re missing his athleticism. 

If you were a high level transfer would you come here?

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

What if I told you that I will concede every single point you just made and yet my point still stands.  If UTEP takes away the run, this offense has no way to score points.  And if you think that us “turning the corner” doesn’t have to include having a quarterback they can at least keep a defense honest, then you have a much better outlook on next year than I do. Because I don’t see quarterback play that gets us anywhere close to being a high-level football team.

How was the red headed qb in the Mc days defended? Fill the box! I never thought I would ever see that again. We better hope a new coach comes with a qb in his pocket.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If you were a high level transfer would you come here?

Maybe. Maybe not. You’re assumption is that if a new coach comes in, he automatically would be able to bring a stellar QB with him. But keep in mind, Litrell has a pretty good track record (except of late) with QBs. See Foles, Trubisky, & Fine. We took a swing with Ruder and missed. I’m hanging my hopes with Drummond or another transfer. With how’ve been able to run the ball this year with no passing threat and improvement on defense, I’ll give Litrell another year vs starting from scratch. 

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Puking Eagle 5

1 minute ago, BillySee58 said:

Said this in the game thread but my biggest positive takeaway here is that we’re starting to see the makings of the foundation of a good team. Big game for Detraveon Brown with 85 yards receiving. Next year when Bush and Shorter are back, Brown and Damon Ward as sophomore backups with a year under their belts and Thompson and Burns in the slot sounds like more receivers running open than what we’ve had so far. And Adeyi, Johnson, and Ragsdale with Adaway back sounds like a strong RB group.

Defensively we’re starting to play well, going back to the Liberty game. A sack for Rod Brown who PFF has graded as one of the best Freshmen DTs in the country. Rod Brown, Enoch Jackson, and the Murphy twins all have 3 more years of eligibility left on the d-line. 

These guys are all starting to look like at least competent FBS players, and everyone I mentioned in this post has at least two, most of them three, years of eligibility left. Win or loss, we’re starting to see these individuals make plays with consistency and play winning football. That’s the important takeaway here.

100%. We started the year young and we’re seeing maturity as the season progresses. My gauge of coaching isn’t where you start but how you finish. The same group of kids can look totally different from week one to week twelve, one way or the other. We had a tough first half slate and but we’re seeing this team grow. Given the youth you mentioned, I’m not willing to give up on Litrell. Give him one more season and that’s his make or break. 

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, StealthEagle84 said:

100%. We started the year young and we’re seeing maturity as the season progresses. My gauge of coaching isn’t where you start but how you finish. The same group of kids can look totally different from week one to week twelve, one way or the other. We had a tough first half slate and but we’re seeing this team grow. Given the youth you mentioned, I’m not willing to give up on Litrell. Give him one more season and that’s his make or break. 

We didn’t see this type of progression among individual players last season or the season before. We are seeing players look different between week one and now. It’s easier now to see the players on this team turning our team into a good team than it has been since we started going downhill. 

We got into the AAC. Whether Littrell keeps his job or not, whether we make a bowl game or not this year (or next), neither of those things are going to prevent us from missing the boat. My sense of urgency has dropped but either way I am just glad I think we have the players to win now.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Amazing... We win 3 games and now the Seth supporters crawl back out of the $hit pile and start whispering "give him one more chance".  How much more back-ass-ward loser culture can this program support?  I know history says we can support decades more of apathy, but is that really okay with donors and fans?

How about we get a new coach for our final CUSA season that has a chance to get us ready for playing Memphis, SMU, etc in 2023 AAC conference play?

jurassic park poop GIF by Diversify Science Gifs

I didn’t interpret this thread like you. I also think it’s kinda wild that you might believe everyone should continue urinating on a coach in the midst of a winning streak. Is that what you want?

• Upvote 4
  • Puking Eagle 2

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

I also think it’s kinda wild that you might believe everyone should continue urinating on a coach in the midst of a winning streak.

Littrell has become a millionaire multiple times over on the backs of our football program and what do we have to show for it as fans, as donors, as a University? Personally I got a sunburn at FAU watching us get blown out in a CUSA championship a few years ago.  I guess there's also a CUSA West participation trophy somewhere at the Athletic Dept office building.

The win streak is TWO games long.

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Pavlovs Eagle said:

Amazing... We win 3 games and now the Seth supporters crawl back out of the $hit pile and start whispering "give him one more chance".  How much more back-ass-ward loser culture can this program support?  I know history says we can support decades more of apathy, but is that really okay with donors and fans?

How about we get a new coach for our final CUSA season that has a chance to get us ready for playing Memphis, SMU, etc in 2023 AAC conference play?

jurassic park poop GIF by Diversify Science Gifs

Who has said to give him one more chance?

• Upvote 3

14 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

Said this in the game thread but my biggest positive takeaway here is that we’re starting to see the makings of the foundation of a good team. Big game for Detraveon Brown with 85 yards receiving. Next year when Bush and Shorter are back, Brown and Damon Ward as sophomore backups with a year under their belts and Thompson and Burns in the slot sounds like more receivers running open than what we’ve had so far. And Adeyi, Johnson, and Ragsdale with Adaway back sounds like a strong RB group.

Defensively we’re starting to play well, going back to the Liberty game. A sack for Rod Brown who PFF has graded as one of the best Freshmen DTs in the country. Rod Brown, Enoch Jackson, and the Murphy twins all have 3 more years of eligibility left on the d-line. 

These guys are all starting to look like at least competent FBS players, and everyone I mentioned in this post has at least two, most of them three, years of eligibility left after this season. Win or loss, we’re starting to see these individuals make plays with consistency and play winning football. That’s the important takeaway here.

We also have to make sure we KEEP these players here and not transfer.

• Upvote 6

14 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

We didn’t see this type of progression among individual players last season or the season before. We are seeing players look different between week one and now. It’s easier now to see the players on this team turning our team into a good team than it has been since we started going downhill. 

We got into the AAC. Whether Littrell keeps his job or not, whether we make a bowl game or not this year (or next), neither of those things are going to prevent us from missing the boat. My sense of urgency has dropped but either way I am just glad I think we have the players to win now.

Hmmm, now who is on staff now that wasn't around last year....or the year before that? And I am not suggesting that this most recent presence is, or should be, the next head coach. What I'm going to suggest is that this current "presence" was not SL's idea, but rather, was pushed by our athletic director......at the suggestion of his colleague down at Baylor. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Confused 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

Coach Andy Mac
This post was recognized by Coach Andy Mac!

"You have great opinions"

NorthTexasSportsNetwork was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 15 points.

15 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

These guys are all starting to look like at least competent FBS players, and everyone I mentioned in this post has at least two, most of them three, years of eligibility left after this season. Win or loss, we’re starting to see these individuals make plays with consistency and play winning football. That’s the important takeaway here.

And playing a team like this is definitely a confidence booster. Let’s face it, that Southern Miss team was one of the worst teams NT has played in a very long time.

BUT we beat them how we should be, and now we go into homecoming against an overrated UTEP team with a lot more confidence than usual.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

Another thing to point out is that this team is still playing very undisciplined.   The win yesterday kind of overshadowed the fact that our guys had 9 penalties for 99 yards (compared to 4 for 35).     I honestly don't know if the lack of discipline is due to coaching or youth/inexperience.     But, it is a real concern in addition to QB play.

• Upvote 5

56 minutes ago, akriesman said:

Another thing to point out is that this team is still playing very undisciplined.   The win yesterday kind of overshadowed the fact that our guys had 9 penalties for 99 yards (compared to 4 for 35).     I honestly don't know if the lack of discipline is due to coaching or youth/inexperience.     But, it is a real concern in addition to QB play.

4 of those for 40 yards were ticky-tack holding penalties on our tight ends. 2 on Roberts and 2 on Pirtle. Nobody in this or any other program would call 6th year senior Jason Pirtle undisciplined.

That leaves 5 for 59. We aren’t where we need to be but we are improving. Think about how far we have come from that epic penalty disaster just a few weeks ago against Marshall.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Puking Eagle 2

20 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

4 of those for 40 yards were ticky-tack holding penalties on our tight ends. 2 on Roberts and 2 on Pirtle. Nobody in this or any other program would call 6th year senior Jason Pirtle undisciplined.

That leaves 5 for 59. We aren’t where we need to be but we are improving. Think about how far we have come from that epic penalty disaster just a few weeks ago against Marshall.

Very very true, these past 2 games were way better discipline wise. Pirtle is a great leader for the program, just some miscuses and ridiculous calls. DBs, even if not targeted as much, played well and didn’t hold as much.

• Thanks 3

2 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

By Georgia Southern’s theory? They beat everyone to that Clay Helton punch. I wonder what other opportunities they missed out on by pulling the trigger so early.

That's a good grab by GaSo. They wanted the guy and they got their guy.  He'll have a months long head start. Good for them.  

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2