Which of the new AAC additions (other than us) will be the most successful?

meangreen11

Which of the new AAC additions (other than us) will be the most successful?  

74 members have voted

1. 1. Which of the new AAC additions (other than us) will be the most successful?

• Charlotte
    • UTSA
    • UAB
    • FAU
    • Rice

UAB and, to a lesser extent, UTSA. UAB will benefit greatly from being in the same conference as Memphis. The overall strength of basketball in the conference should also help solidify that program and return them to the national stage.

UTSA, I think you're already seeing it. There's no way they get that deal with Traylor before AAC. First and foremost, the money simply wouldn't be there. Second, whether real or imagined, the idea of P6 did keep him from going to a lowly P5 school like Tech. I'm convinced that if the uniforms continued to say CUSA, he would've been out the door. There's a lot less daylight between the AAC and Big 12 now than before OU/UT left. Might as well stay in a highly paid position in an actual city.

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

14 minutes ago, ColoradoEagle said:

UAB and, to a lesser extent, UTSA. UAB will benefit greatly from being in the same conference as Memphis. The overall strength of basketball in the conference should also help solidify that program and return them to the national stage.

UTSA, I think you're already seeing it. There's no way they get that deal with Traylor before AAC. First and foremost, the money simply wouldn't be there. Second, whether real or imagined, the idea of P6 did keep him from going to a lowly P5 school like Tech. I'm convinced that if the uniforms continued to say CUSA, he would've been out the door. There's a lot less daylight between the AAC and Big 12 now than before OU/UT left. Might as well stay in a highly paid position in an actual city.

UTSA is mortgaging their entire future on one football coach hoping that program floats the rest of their athletics. No way they have that kind of money on hand and definitely no way if they weren't going to the American. They couldn't even put walls around their practice facility but they have that kind of money to give to Traylor?

• Upvote 6
  • Haha 1

Can we talk for a minute about UAB... they shut their football program down for two years and seemed like they were about to undergo a major shrinking of their AD. Then they re-instate their program, which has gone 39-19 since then, with 2 CUSA championships and a 3rd CUSA title game (They had never been champs before and had gone 67-110 over the previous 15 years, with only three winning seasons).

Now les than five years after starting up again, they are moving up in conference! Is Bill Clark a genius?

• Upvote 5

40 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

UTSA is mortgaging their entire future on one football coach hoping that program floats the rest of their athletics. No way they have that kind of money on hand and definitely no way if they weren't going to the American. They couldn't even put walls around their practice facility but they have that kind of money to give to Traylor?

We don’t really know that for certain although I share in your skepticism.  It could be that they have landed a silent large corporate sponsor down there that we don’t know about.  Who really knows.  There are a lot of large businesses that they can call on down there.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I think FAU could have an UCF-like rise. Having a campus on the beach is a huge recruiting advantage. Been to their athletics facilities and they were pretty average. Pump some money into that and they could really blow up. 

I heard the same about FIU.

I Think Not No GIF by Bounce

• Upvote 6

11 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I think FAU could have an UCF-like rise. Having a campus on the beach is a huge recruiting advantage. Been to their athletics facilities and they were pretty average. Pump some money into that and they could really blow up. 

UCF had fans go to their games and actual fan support

Edited by UNT Texas Hooligan
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Agree. But if Taylor stays and can get some San Antonio money to support the program they could be in good shape. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

FAU has fans...

FAU Stadium, Boca Raton | DestiMap | Destinations On Map

Looks like the 2017 championship game … and the 2019 championship game

Both of those games had sky cams and CBS stopped using it because the crowd was so small.

If NT ever got into the conference championship game, it would be packed beyond capacity.

• Upvote 1