Mason Fine Future Plans?

Pseudo Nym

Can anyone shed some light on this:

I haven't kept up with Mason Fine since he left UNT, last I recall he signed with a CFL team and had interests in working in some form as an ambassador for the Cherokee Nation, and working his way up to the top  (Sorry if I worded that incorrectly, I'm not too familiar with Native American culture).

I'm not one to play in the gray area when it comes to NCAA rules, but if he has his sights set on coaching at some point, he could pursue his masters degree and intern with the UNT Strength and Condition Staff over the summer, work with current UNT Athletes at the facility and add the CSCS qualification to his resume, all well within the rules.

Assuming there is a changing of the guard coming at the HC position, I think our program, regardless of who the head coach is moving forward, would benefit by having him around if he were so inclined?

I think there's enough guys in the area, college to pro that it would be easy to put together offseason workouts on their own before they return to their pro/college teams in the fall, Sean Payton's still got his place in Westlake I think, Jason Witten's coaching down the road, the fields at UNT could be a great refuge for pro and college guys during the summer to get some work in (I'm thinking big now, like Rucker Park for basketball in NYC or the Drew League for Summer Pro Ball in LA haha!).  

Anyone remember when Dez Bryant came by the Rec to play pickup basketball and parked his tricked out Jag in the front, in the fire lane and just said "I'll take the ticket" when UNT 5-0 wanted him to move his car? (Shoutout to Shep and Bohannan 🚔 🚨 much love!)

Edited by Pseudo Nym
  • Confused 3
  • Eye Roll 2

33 minutes ago, Pseudo Nym said:

Can anyone shed some light on this:

I haven't kept up with Mason Fine since he left UNT, last I recall he signed with a CFL team and had interests in working in some form as an ambassador for the Cherokee Nation, and working his way up to the top  (Sorry if I worded that incorrectly, I'm not too familiar with Native American culture).

I'm not one to play in the gray area when it comes to NCAA rules, but if he has his sights set on coaching at some point, he could pursue his masters degree and intern with the UNT Strength and Condition Staff over the summer, work with current UNT Athletes at the facility and add the CSCS qualification to his resume, all well within the rules.

Assuming there is a changing of the guard coming at the HC position, I think our program, regardless of who the head coach is moving forward, would benefit by having him around if he were so inclined?

I think there's enough guys in the area, college to pro that it would be easy to put together offseason workouts on their own before they return to their pro/college teams in the fall, Sean Payton's still got his place in Westlake I think, Jason Witten's coaching down the road, the fields at UNT could be a great refuge for pro and college guys during the summer to get some work in (I'm thinking big now, like Rucker Park for basketball in NYC or the Drew League for Summer Pro Ball in LA haha!).  

Anyone remember when Dez Bryant came by the Rec to play pickup basketball and parked his tricked out Jag in the front, in the fire lane and just said "I'll take the ticket" when UNT 5-0 wanted him to move his car? (Shoutout to Shep and Bohannan 🚔 🚨 much love!)

I didn’t eyeroll you… but I think we may already have the best coach of Littrell’s (& Chico’s!) QBs already coaching here!

Edited by MeanGreenTexan
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

@MeanGreenTexan Appreciate it, and yeah for sure I wasn't thinking like head coach or actually coaching in anyway, I just feel like with what he's done, he's had an awesome attitude, seems to be very positive all the time, I guess the corny version of it is he's someone you'd want your kids to be around and emulate, just the way he carries himself.  He'll have been gone for a few seasons, new guys in that he doesn't know but they know he had success here, just someone they can directly relate to closer than a coach and talk to, and ask questions they might have but not even ask a teammate worrying about how it might sound (like, I don't want to sound selfish but how can I get more whatever whatever).

And yeah when folks react with the little eye roll dude, I assume that whatever I've written is over their head since they've taken the time to process it and become so offended that they have to let the world know they're rolling their eyes, versus simply moving on.  This is the image that come to mind when I see the eye roll of whoever reacted, and can't help but think that they must have evolved from the RBF (resting bitch face) to this, without even recognizing it:

brian regan what GIF

......... I mean, I'll put the over/under at 6.5 little eye rolls dudes on this post and take the over.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Eye Roll 2

12 minutes ago, wardly said:

The Saskatchewan Rough Riders brought in at least 6 quarterbacks before the season started , Including Fine. Mason made it to the taxi squad but is no longer listed on their roster. Where he is I know not.

Just pulled off their website 

image.png.17bdd0bcb6339e5734c5230bfe563551.png

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Check out WK 16 Pre-Game - Graig Dickinson video on the home page of the Rider App. It seems that Mason has been moved to the active roster for today’s game (vs Hamilton Ticats @ 3PM eastern time) and is highly likely to play a couple of series in the game. Very good to see! 

This is the final game of the regular season and the Riders are locked into second place so this game is being used to give a few players an opportunity to play given covid resulted in no preseason games. The Riders are still very high on Mason’s future with the team. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

Sorry - a correction on the time for the Rider game today. It is at 4 PM eastern time. 

The Rider/Hamilton game had been shaping up to be important game for Hamilton to secure a home playoff game but a loss by Montreal last night meant Hamilton locks a home playoff game. Hamilton of course is more likely now to sit some starters for today’s game. No matter, Mason has a really good opportunity to get some playing time against a strong team. I’m looking forward to seeing him play! 

• Upvote 4

19 hours ago, Dan McGill said:

Not bad stats for two series of play and I would say he threw two passes into the end zone that really should have been caught albeit in the same series. It is very difficult of course for backup QBs to get any playing time and I think he took full advantage of the opportunity. Really good to see! 

Even more difficult for QBs that had been relegated to the practice squad.  

1 hour ago, Dan McGill said:

Here’s an update. The Riders just announced Mason Fine has been moved up to the backup QB for tomorrow’s semi final playoff game with the Calgary Stampeders. The fellow who he has replaced had been the backup for two seasons and has played well. Mason Fine has obviously impressed the Rider offensive coaches. Quite a move to go from the practice roster to backup QB in two weeks. Good to see! 

Man, this doesn’t surprise any of us around here.  Mason’s heart is only matched by his ability.  We’re so very proud of him.

Sky’s the limit for him & any team lucky enough to roster him.  

Go Riders!

• Upvote 3