Long winded response to a couple of questions

fbcoach

• Harry featured this topic
7 minutes ago, fbcoach said:

I'll start of by saying again that I am just a t-shirt fan of UNT. I don't have any real inside knowledge of the coming and goings from inside the UNT Athletic Department but I have been in the athletic business for 30 years and over this time have made some tremendous connections with both HS and college coaches/AD's.

Seth has always struck me as the kind of guy I would like to hang out with at the ranch or go fishing with but he never struck me as the kind of guy that would inspire a program to be great. I truly believe he is a good man with a good heart but does not have the leadership qualities or personality to lead a program. There is nothing wrong with that (some people have it and some don't) unless he is your Head Coach. 

Going back to when UNT hired Dodge there was a collective "Oh Wow" expressed by HS coaches across the state. We were happy that one of our own had made it straight to the big time without going through the learning process. But at the same time we were apprehensive because Dodge was a maintainer and not a builder. He has been the HC at 6 different schools. He was tremendously successful at SL and Westlake both traditional powerhouses. At the other 4 schools he never had a season with a winning record. He then brought his whole staff with him.  I believe that from an X and O standpoint there are many HS coaches that can hold their own in college. However, they were lost when it came to recruiting and the every day workings of a college program. Dodge had never built something from nothing. He has always taken a powerhouse and made them better and he is VERY good at it. I believe Dodge could have been successful if he would have brought in experienced college coaches that understood the ins and outs of running a college program. 

There are many successful college coaches that got their start in HS. They didn't just jump to the top, but worked their way up. 

Two examples of builders are Traylor and McGuire. Traylor took over Gilmer who had lost their way for several years and built them into a powerhouse (some may question how he built them) before moving up to college. Traylor is an X&O guy. He worked for several programs before finding his way to UTSA. None of the programs he was at were very successful in the W/L column. But you can learn a lot from seeing how not to do something. What he learned along the way no doubt is helping him create a winner.

Joey McGuire was promoted to HC at Cedar Hill as a very young coach. He had never been a coordinator of any kind. When he took over Cedar Hill had never won a playoff game in their history. He built them into a traditional winner. Joey is a tremendous coach but he is a CEO who hired great coaches and let them coach. Spend 5 minutes with McGuire and you will be ready to run through a wall for him and feel like he is your best friend. His energy and personality is contagious and permeated throughout the entire program from the AD to the janitors. He was one of the first coaches Rhule hired at Baylor to help open doors for recruiting. A year later he was promoted to AHC. Joey turned down the UTSA job in hopes of getting the Baylor job. When Aranda was hired, Baylor made it a priority to keep him on staff as AHC. It wasn't easy as OU, Texas Tech, UT, and Carolina Panthers came calling. He has helped guide Baylor through two complete rebuilds under two great head coaches. He is ready now for his own program.

If I was the UNT AD Joey would be at the top of my very short list. I know he is on Texas Tech's and will probably be on SMU's if they lose Dykes. Keeler would be my 2nd choice. I know he is older but he neither looks or acts it. He is a great coach that knows how to use the portal and get inside front doors in recruiting. 

Greenminer said he wanted to know the process that Baylor used to find Rhule and Aranda. Well Rhodes and Wren are extremely close friends. I'm sure there will be some brain picking going on IF and WHEN a time is needed for it. 

How likely would we be getting McGuire knowing that so many other big programs want him too? How likely would he take the job if offered? I'm sure the foundation and resources available here are very enticing to someone looking to build a powerhouse program.

• Upvote 4

@fbcoach, I like everything you said except the part about Dodge not building anything. I believe he was the first varsity head coach at Fossil Ridge and built a nice record in those first two seasons despite having to field a team of Keller’s leftovers. If my memory serves, the 4A state champ Grapevine was in that district as well.

Additionally, Tom Rapp didn’t exactly keep the powerhouse going after Ledbetter retired and before Dodge showed up. Dodge rebuilt that program into something far exceeding anything Ledbetter hoped to approach.

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 2
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

How likely would we be getting McGuire knowing that so many other big programs want him too? How likely would he take the job if offered? I'm sure the foundation and resources available here are very enticing to someone looking to build a powerhouse program.

I can't speak for him personally but I think he would take the UNT job in a second. Like I said before, facilities, location, AD, upward conference movement, and future commitment to athletics are excellent. 

The Tech interest in Joey is obviously something new. The money and conference prestige would be hard to compete with but they haven't even started the process of interviewing candidates and who really knows what direction they will go anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

@fbcoach, I like everything you said except the part about Dodge not building anything. I believe he was the first varsity head coach at Fossil Ridge and built a nice record in those first two seasons despite having to field a team of Keller’s leftovers. If my memory serves, the 4A state champ Grapevine was in that district as well.

Additionally, Tom Rapp didn’t exactly keep the powerhouse going after Ledbetter retired and before Dodge showed up. Dodge rebuilt that program into something far exceeding anything Ledbetter hoped to approach.

No. Dibble was the first coach at Fossil Ridge. Dodge went 2-7 and 5-5 there. Olivo followed him and went 8-4 and 11-3 the next 2 years. 

Ledbetter and Dodge both had great careers at Carroll. Ledbetter had three 16-0 seasons (with way less resources) and Dodge had four 16-0 seasons. Rapp did take a bit of a nosedive in his 4 seasons there but he did have a 12-2 season shortly before Dodge took over. Carroll was still a giant that had bad leadership for a short period of time between these two coaches. 

I am not putting Dodge down at all. I think he is a tremendous coach. I also believe he could have been a great college coach if he had followed a different path on his way there. He was put in a bad situation and didn't help himself with the choice to bring his staff with him.

• Upvote 7

9 minutes ago, fbcoach said:

No. Dibble was the first coach at Fossil Ridge. Dodge went 2-7 and 5-5 there. Olivo followed him and went 8-4 and 11-3 the next 2 years. 

Dibble couldn’t have done much the school only opened in ‘95. I believe Keller, Grapevine, Southlake, and Coppell were the established schools in the district at that time and both Colleyville and Fossil Ridge were new schools.

• Upvote 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

2 hours ago, fbcoach said:

I'll start of by saying again that I am just a t-shirt fan of UNT. I don't have any real inside knowledge of the coming and goings from inside the UNT Athletic Department but I have been in the athletic business for 30 years and over this time have made some tremendous connections with both HS and college coaches/AD's.

Seth has always struck me as the kind of guy I would like to hang out with at the ranch or go fishing with but he never struck me as the kind of guy that would inspire a program to be great. I truly believe he is a good man with a good heart but does not have the leadership qualities or personality to lead a program. There is nothing wrong with that (some people have it and some don't) unless he is your Head Coach. 

Going back to when UNT hired Dodge there was a collective "Oh Wow" expressed by HS coaches across the state. We were happy that one of our own had made it straight to the big time without going through the learning process. But at the same time we were apprehensive because Dodge was a maintainer and not a builder. He has been the HC at 6 different schools. He was tremendously successful at SL and Westlake both traditional powerhouses. At the other 4 schools he never had a season with a winning record. He then brought his whole staff with him.  I believe that from an X and O standpoint there are many HS coaches that can hold their own in college. However, they were lost when it came to recruiting and the every day workings of a college program. Dodge had never built something from nothing. He has always taken a powerhouse and made them better and he is VERY good at it. I believe Dodge could have been successful if he would have brought in experienced college coaches that understood the ins and outs of running a college program. 

There are many successful college coaches that got their start in HS. They didn't just jump to the top, but worked their way up. 

Two examples of builders are Traylor and McGuire. Traylor took over Gilmer who had lost their way for several years and built them into a powerhouse (some may question how he built them) before moving up to college. Traylor is an X&O guy. He worked for several programs before finding his way to UTSA. None of the programs he was at were very successful in the W/L column. But you can learn a lot from seeing how not to do something. What he learned along the way no doubt is helping him create a winner.

Joey McGuire was promoted to HC at Cedar Hill as a very young coach. He had never been a coordinator of any kind. When he took over Cedar Hill had never won a playoff game in their history. He built them into a traditional winner. Joey is a tremendous coach but he is a CEO who hired great coaches and let them coach. Spend 5 minutes with McGuire and you will be ready to run through a wall for him and feel like he is your best friend. His energy and personality is contagious and permeated throughout the entire program from the AD to the janitors. He was one of the first coaches Rhule hired at Baylor to help open doors for recruiting. A year later he was promoted to AHC. Joey turned down the UTSA job in hopes of getting the Baylor job. When Aranda was hired, Baylor made it a priority to keep him on staff as AHC. It wasn't easy as OU, Texas Tech, UT, and Carolina Panthers came calling. He has helped guide Baylor through two complete rebuilds under two great head coaches. He is ready now for his own program.

If I was the UNT AD Joey would be at the top of my very short list. I know he is on Texas Tech's and will probably be on SMU's if they lose Dykes. Keeler would be my 2nd choice. I know he is older but he neither looks or acts it. He is a great coach that knows how to use the portal and get inside front doors in recruiting. 

Greenminer said he wanted to know the process that Baylor used to find Rhule and Aranda. Well Rhodes and Wren are extremely close friends. I'm sure there will be some brain picking going on IF and WHEN a time is needed for it. 

Enjoyed reading your insight and tend to agree with you....hope we go after McGuire this year...might not have a chance at him next year!

• Upvote 2

fbcoach is painting a picture of Joey McGuire that I like, like a regular Michaelangelo.

Apparently TXTech fans are drooling over him if Traylor & Dykes fall through.   Not sure if Tech wants to pull the buyout trigger on Traylor, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Dykes stay pat at SMU.  TCU is also supposedly buzzing around him.   He may be off the board by the time NT is ready (Wren needs to fire Littrell first before he can do anything).   There must be a specific search agency out there that is really pumping him up to all these schools.

What kind of staff would he put together?  Does he have connections with good FBS-level coaches?

Recruiting would immediately improve.  Like, 'Coach Traylor would run into issues recruiting against him everywhere but East TX' problems.

A downside would be that as soon as he sees some success here, Baylor/Rhoades would likely want him back, and he'd probably go.   Not a BAD problem, but a problem nonetheless.   
The DWI in 2015 is cause for concern too.  @fbcoach you seem somewhat close to McGuire.  Can you speak to this issue and how he's moved on?

I bet he'd bring his son on as well in some kind of role (currently an analyst coach with Rhule in Carolina).   An Art/Kendal-type deal?

I like his personality... then again, I liked Littrell's personality when he was an assistant coach too:

• Upvote 3
  • Oh Boy! 1

2 hours ago, fbcoach said:

Great post.

I seem to remember Newman Smith was Dodge's first HC job and they were middle of the pack, which was more success than Newman Smith has ever had.  My take on Dodge was that he could succeed in a one HS town because he could implement his system in the junior highs/feeder schools and by the time these kids arrived on the varsity, they just needed to be fine tuned.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

Recruiting is not the problem! Look at national rankings if you don't trust C-USA. To bring in  a Fuente, Todd Graham, Mike Norvell maybe a Patterson or some one else at that level, NT is going to have to make an immediate announcement on the start of the AD building . If the AD was announced before a coaching hire  this would increase our pool of potential coaches. The weight room, rehab and area for trainers have to upgraded and a top tier coach will demand it.

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

1 hour ago, Wag Tag said:

Recruiting is not the problem! Look at national rankings if you don't trust C-USA. To bring in  a Fuente, Todd Graham, Mike Norvell maybe a Patterson or some one else at that level, NT is going to have to make an immediate announcement on the start of the AD building . If the AD was announced before a coaching hire  this would increase our pool of potential coaches. The weight room, rehab and area for trainers have to upgraded and a top tier coach will demand it.

Absolutely!   And Wren has already made it known that expansion is the very next facilities project on the docket.
But after that, do you know of any resource NT doesn't have in place for a coach?   Show the prospective coaches the renderings of the new Athletics Center, and then let them lay eyes on Apogee & Lovelace/McNatt Practice Facility!

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, UNTLifer said:

Great post.

I seem to remember Newman Smith was Dodge's first HC job and they were middle of the pack, which was more success than Newman Smith has ever had.  My take on Dodge was that he could succeed in a one HS town because he could implement his system in the junior highs/feeder schools and by the time these kids arrived on the varsity, they just needed to be fine tuned.

TD was head coach at Cameron Yoe before he went to Newman Smith.

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Absolutely!   And Wren has already made it known that expansion is the very next facilities project on the docket.
But after that, do you know of any resource NT doesn't have in place for a coach?   Show the prospective coaches the renderings of the new Athletics Center, and then let them lay eyes on Apogee & Lovelace/McNatt Practice Facility!

Renderings are great , but there has to an established start and finish. Once it starts is it a 2 year project? The locker rooms and lounge which are in the AD plans is a big deal today.  Gitter Done!

• Upvote 3
  • Eye Roll 1

6 hours ago, fbcoach said:

Who is your best player, and when is he signing his NLI to North Texas?

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Wag Tag said:

Respectfully disagree. We might be at the top of CUSA, but 78th overall. If you look at Avg. Rating we would have been 10th best in the AAC for 2021.

image.png.9f19ce5444600e21d49129da77db58a7.png

• Upvote 2
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

The DWI in 2015 is cause for concern too.  @fbcoach you seem somewhat close to McGuire.  Can you speak to this issue and how he's moved on?

Joey has faced that bad choice head on. It was an embarrassing situation not only for him but also his family, staff, and school. He has used it as a teaching tool for his players ever since it happened. Preaching the message of character, making good choices, and the consequences that come with bad choices. He is a living example of repentance, forgiveness, humbleness, and overcoming bad choices.

I've been around Joey most of his career. As someone that does not partake in alcohol of any kind myself, I can say with an honest voice that Joey does not have a problem in this area. 

• Upvote 5

2 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

@fbcoachGreat information. What are your thought on Carthel from SFA?

I like him a lot. I've had kids play for him both at Commerce and SFA. Two of my ex players coached on his National Championship team. He is a rising star. Energetic, passionate, but better yet he is a very knowledgeable coach. I think with the right staff and time he would do well at UNT. 

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, fbcoach said:

Joey has faced that bad choice head on. It was an embarrassing situation not only for him but also his family, staff, and school. He has used it as a teaching tool for his players ever since it happened. Preaching the message of character, making good choices, and the consequences that come with bad choices. He is a living example of repentance, forgiveness, humbleness, and overcoming bad choices.

I've been around Joey most of his career. As someone that does not partake in alcohol of any kind myself, I can say with an honest voice that Joey does not have a problem in this area. 

Thanks.  I understand mistakes are made by all.  If what you’re saying is true, then it was a life-altering event & won’t happen again.  

Forgive us if we pause on that particular issue as we’ve had a previous coach who struggled in that area, so we definitely want to avoid that issue.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Respectfully disagree. We might be at the top of CUSA, but 78th overall. If you look at Avg. Rating we would have been 10th best in the AAC for 2021.

Ark has a 22nd National ranking and 7th in the SEC! It wasn’t that long ago we couldn’t break the top 100.  Being able to evaluate  talent, develop talent , and roster management seems to be the issue of today.  The biggest flaw of all is qb evaluation. The biggest mistake ever made was jerking Mason’s redshirt. He may still be playing? ( would have to do the math on that one)

• Oh Boy! 1

36 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Ark has a 22nd National ranking and 7th in the SEC! It wasn’t that long ago we couldn’t break the top 100.  Being able to evaluate  talent, develop talent , and roster management seems to be the issue of today.  The biggest flaw of all is qb evaluation. The biggest mistake ever made was jerking Mason’s redshirt. He may still be playing? ( would have to do the math on that one)

I am as guilty as most in getting caught up in the ratings (the star system). Evaluation and development are critical to success. I think in G5 the ability to evaluate HS talent that has room to grow is critical. I might be explaining this, but lets say for example you have two players, one rated a 3 star .8280 and the other a 2 star rated .7942.  The ratings indicate the 3 star is "better" and most fans would think we recruited a better player. But what if the .8280 has basically peaked and does not have as much of an upside left to develop in college? What if the 2 start is just starting to develop and has a strong work etic ? I think having someone who has a good relationship with Texas HS coaches where they trust him and are honest with him is very valuable. 

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, fbcoach said:

I like him a lot. I've had kids play for him both at Commerce and SFA. Two of my ex players coached on his National Championship team. He is a rising star. Energetic, passionate, but better yet he is a very knowledgeable coach. I think with the right staff and time he would do well at UNT. 

Thank you. Carthel and Keeler have been two names since the beginning I have thought could do well here. I worry that if and when the time comes, they might not consider, especially Carthel, a "big enough" name for the move to the AAC. I also think Texas State will be going hard after both of them.

• Ray 2

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

What happens if you remove Cincy, UCF and UH and plug in the other schools that are coming with us. How would we look in THAT AAC?

• Upvote 2