What is Spiriki ?

greenjoe

I started at North Texas in 1969.  At that time, there was an independent fraternity, the Geezles, located  in an old house about where Lucky Lou’s ( 1206 W. Hickory) is today.  The Geezles were made up of athletes and  partied hardy, as I understood.  I never was in the house.  

During my years attending NT and my many more years supporting NT, I never heard of Spiriki until Apogee Stadium opened.  I never saw the Spiriki likeness or heard the word Spiriki.  

Where did it come from ?  Who paid for it ?  How did it get such a place of prominence just behind the south end zone ?  Why  Spiriki instead of the Eagle style that is cast near the Administration Building ?

GO MEAN GREEN 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

• Harry featured this topic

Spiriki, a bronze eagle statue, was unveiled in 2011 at UNT's Apogee Stadium. As Mean Green players take the field, they touch the statue to pledge their best efforts in the game. The statue by renowned wildlife sculptor Kent Ullberg was commissioned by the Geezles, a campus fraternity from the 1920s to the 1970s that includes many former athletes and coaches. The name "Spiriki" comes from an old fraternity greeting believed to be the combination of the words "spirit" and "kee," the cry of an attacking eagle.

Edited by ipd054
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

"As Mean Green players take the field, they touch the statue to pledge their best efforts in the game."

I noticed during the last home game that only 2 players touched Spiriki.  In the first few years with Seth most made it past the statue.   Maybe we are under the curse of the Spiriki since they have abandoned the tradition....

...I am sure the illuminati is involved as well...  I need to put on my foil hat hold on...

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 3

1 minute ago, ipd054 said:

"As Mean Green players take the field, they touch the statue to pledge their best efforts in the game."

I noticed during the last home game that only 2 players touched Spiriki.  In the first few years with Seth most made it past the statue.   Maybe we are under the curse of the Spiriki since they have abandoned the tradition....

...I am sure the illuminati is involved as well...  I need to put on my foil hat hold on...

Eddie Murphy Laughing GIF

Better get this squared away.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, ipd054 said:

Did you happen to notice whether or not Seth touched Spiriki?  I feel like it's been a while since we've seen him pledge his "best efforts" on game day.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, ipd054 said:

The statue by renowned wildlife sculptor Kent Ullberg was commissioned by the Geezles, a campus fraternity from the 1920s to the 1970s that includes many former athletes and coaches.

UNT has a former fraternity called the Geezles that was around for 50 years and still has money to spend promoting the school and I'm just now hearing about them 33 years after I arrived at school?

What next? Is Delta Lodge still throwing keggers and making tie-dyed tees somewhere?

On 11/3/2021 at 10:58 AM, ipd054 said:

What?  Entering the field some players did not touch Spiriki?  That's some bad "mo jo" right there.

• Upvote 2

On 11/3/2021 at 8:36 AM, greenjoe said:

I started at North Texas in 1969.  At that time, there was an independent fraternity, the Geezles, located  in an old house about where Lucky Lou’s ( 1206 W. Hickory) is today.

This was during my time at UNT.  If I remember correctly, didn't the Geezles have athletes in their organization?  I lived fairly close to their house.  One thing I distinctly remember was that those guys partied really hard.  All the time.

• Upvote 1