The price to leave early C-USA is worth it

Coach Andy Mac

HUNTINGTON – Marshall University is standing at a precipice with what seems to be infinite potential ahead of it with a new conference affiliation as well as the announcement of Brad D. Smith as the next university president. There is no reason to delay taking that next step toward progress and beginning to realize that potential, no matter the initial costs. 

Marshall is scheduled to join the Sun Belt Conference no later than July 1, 2023 but entering the conference next July is an option on the table. Leaving Conference USA at the conclusion of the current academic year will come at a price. It will cost Marshall $3 million in exit fees to cut ties the fledging league.

It’s a price worth paying. 

“It’s about moving forward. It’s about potential and it’s about growth,” Interim Athletics Director Jeff O’Malley explained on Monday. “We want to elevate Marshall University and Marshall Athletics and the Sun Belt offers us the best way to do that.”

read more:  https://wvmetronews.com/2021/11/02/opinion-the-price-to-leave-early-c-usa-is-worth-it/

• Upvote 2

Interesting...if Marshall coughs up $3M (and maybe Southern Miss, MTSU and WKU follow suit) to leave early and we are technically still a member of C-USA, does some of that exit fee get distributed to us?

Who knew that Judy's secret revenue generation strategy for the conference was to dismantle it and collect exit fees...TV/Media contracts be damned.

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 2

10 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Well, karma is a bitch...

I don't understand why we, here on GMG.com would think this.   
I understand why LAMo (and I guess LALa?) fans would feel that way with how LATech has looked down on them over the years.  And I totally get why they do that.   Everything/everyone prior to 2 weeks ago said they were indeed better than those 2 schools.
But for us here, why do we care what LAMo fans think?   LATech has done everything right while we've been conference mates.  Their fans are great.  Their teams are great.   Why would we wish schadenfreude on them?

UTEP and FIU have done nothing but field 'also-ran' teams in just about every sport in C-USA for their entire existence in C-USA.   They deserve what's happening to them.   

LATech is a perennial winner in most sports (certainly the 2 that matter) and is about to see their B-ball team contend for, if not win, the C-USA championship.   It sucks.

• Upvote 6
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, keith said:

Interesting...if Marshall coughs up $3M (and maybe Southern Miss, MTSU and WKU follow suit) to leave early and we are technically still a member of C-USA, does some of that exit fee get distributed to us?

Who knew that Judy's secret revenue generation strategy for the conference was to dismantle it and collect exit fees...TV/Media contracts be damned.

I'm assuming those 3 schools are going to leave when we do.   2022-23 C-USA will remain the same.  Then, all of these schools will head out for the 2023-24 year and all pay in.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, keith said:

What TV contracts?

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I don't understand why we, here on GMG.com would think this.   
I understand why LAMo (and I guess LALa?) fans would feel that way with how LATech has looked down on them over the years.  And I totally get why they do that.   Everything/everyone prior to 2 weeks ago said they were indeed better than those 2 schools.
But for us here, why do we care what LAMo fans think?   LATech has done everything right while we've been conference mates.  Their fans are great.  Their teams are great.   Why would we wish schadenfreude on them?

UTEP and FIU have done nothing but field 'also-ran' teams in just about every sport in C-USA for their entire existence in C-USA.   They deserve what's happening to them.   

LATech is a perennial winner in most sports (certainly the 2 that matter) and is about to see their B-ball team contend for, if not win, the C-USA championship.   It sucks.

Because we know what its like to be held back, looked down upon, and publicly humiliated by another school near us that has done that for decades. 

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We bailed on LAMo & LALa to join up with LATech, and looked down on them along with LATech for years.   Are we guilty as well?

You’re better than this. We didn’t leave the SBC because we were looking down on them. We liked CUSA for who was supposed to be in it when we joined. 

La Tech actively avoided both of those teams in a bowl game. Publicly disparaged them, too. That’s not even something SMU would do to us…and that’s saying something

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

We bailed on LAMo & LALa to join up with LATech, and looked down on them along with LATech for years.   Are we guilty as well?

Hopefully we UNT fans get to the point where we focus on our success and not always spending so much time enjoy, or wishing other fail. 

• Upvote 2
  • Ray 1
  • Downvote 1