Cincinnati

Cr1028

3 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

College football at the P5 level is so boring and predictable.

Final Four will be some combo of:

Georgia, Bama, tOSU, OU, Oregon, and ND

rinse and repeat

It is very predictable and it wont change as some of those teams are put in for their brand more than anything else. 

But no G5 teams are truly deserving either so

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

38 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

It is very predictable and it wont change as some of those teams are put in for their brand more than anything else. 

Here’s the flaw in your argument; there are certain conferences that, regardless of the actual talent level of their teams, the CFP will never let them in.  

If I put the Green Bay Packers players in North Texas uniforms and played our schedule, we would beat every team by 40 points.   And the “experts” would say the same things they always do…”the didn’t play anyone”, “If they played in a P5 conference they wouldn’t be undefeated”, etc.  The only problems with these arguments are:

1) You can only play and beat who is on your schedule (think Cincinnati could predict Notre Dame having a down year when they scheduled them?)

2) They rely on the assumption that a P5 conference will be filled with quality teams year in and year out

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

32 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Here’s the flaw in your argument; there are certain conferences that, regardless of the actual talent level of their teams, the CFP will never let them in.  

If I put the Green Bay Packers players in North Texas uniforms and played our schedule, we would beat every team by 40 points.   And the “experts” would say the same things they always do…”the didn’t play anyone”, “If they played in a P5 conference they wouldn’t be undefeated”, etc.  The only problems with these arguments are:

1) You can only play and beat who is on your schedule (think Cincinnati could predict Notre Dame having a down year when they scheduled them?)

2) They rely on the assumption that a P5 conference will be filled with quality teams year in and year out

If you dont play anyone then you won’t win anything. SoS matters and Cincy is currently playing the 94th hardest schedule in CFB.

A good G5 team is equivalent to a poor P5 team. The level of talent is astronomically different between what the G5 and P5 have. UTSA and Cincy in a P5 conference are 8 and 9 win teams AT BEST. That makes you a middle of the road program in those conferences.

Cincy has played 1 quality opponent all year in ND and they’re average as hell with a weak schedule but they simply rely on branding for everything. Who else have they played or will they play that is even remotely talked about as a contender? Who will they play that has beaten quality opponents? SMU has the 114th hardest schedule and Houston has the 106th hardest.

CFP 1-6 SoS rankings:

UGA - 8th

Bama - 15th

MSU - 42nd

Oregon - 66th

OSU - 38th

Cincy - 94th

Edited by MeanGreen4Life1998
  • Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 6

1 hour ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

I agree. This is the problem with college football. Too much talent consolidated in too few programs. Nothing last forever and when the CFB playoff model goes to crap this will be the reason why 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Well if you wanna be in the CFP you gotta play good teams. Beating an overrated ND team and a bunch of average G5 teams doesn’t exactly scream that you’re deserving of a Playoff spot. 

You can say the same thing about the SEC most years.  You think Kentucky, Vandy, Miss State, South Carolina, Missouri, Tennessee Florida are so good? None of those teams are running the table in the AAC and beating Notre Dame at home.   It is worse that just the P5 subbing a G5 team.  You have to be the right name brand P5 school to get in.  Oklahoma State fans I think would attest to this.  If Kentucky was a runner up in their SEC division with only one loss they aren’t guaranteed a playoff birth.  But LSU, Alabama, Tennessee and Florida are.  Stop falling for this self serving hype that is just all for ratings.  Teams with the most fans get a rankings bump.

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

You can say the same thing about the SEC most years.  You think Kentucky, Vandy, Miss State, South Carolina, Missouri, Tennessee Florida are so good? None of those teams are running the table in the AAC and beating Notre Dame at home.   It is worse that just the P5 subbing a G5 team.  You have to be the right name brand P5 school to get in.  Oklahoma State fans I think would attest to this.  If Kentucky was a runner up in their SEC division with only one loss they aren’t guaranteed a playoff birth.  But LSU, Alabama, Tennessee and Florida are.  Stop falling for this self serving hype that is just all for ratings.  Teams with the most fans get a rankings bump.

Stop falling for this narrative that the G5 has a team within the same league as Bama, UGA, OSU and others. They don’t have anything close and likely wont. I agree its a money making issue for teams like ND and OU but Cincy has no business with the true powers of CFB

• Eye Roll 3
  • Downvote 2

45 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

Point taken, but ND isn't too bad this year.  They are a 1 loss team (Cincy) and ranked #10 in the CFP poll.

The funny/sad part is that SMU and Houston are not even in the top 25 (and neither is nutsak) even though they are ranked in the other poll.  Not having SMU/Houston ranked I am sure hurts UC's sos.

20 minutes ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

If you dont play anyone then you won’t win anything. SoS matters and Cincy is currently playing the 94th hardest schedule in CFB.

A good G5 team is equivalent to a poor P5 team. The level of talent is astronomically different between what the G5 and P5 have. UTSA and Cincy in a P5 conference are 8 and 9 win teams AT BEST. That makes you a middle of the road program in those conferences.

Cincy has played 1 quality opponent all year in ND and they’re average as hell with a weak schedule but they simply rely on branding for everything. Who else have they played or will they play that is even remotely talked about as a contender? Who will they play that has beaten quality opponents? SMU has the 114th hardest schedule and Houston has the 106th hardest.

CFP 1-6 SoS rankings:

UGA - 8th

Bama - 15th

MSU - 42nd

Oregon - 66th

OSU - 38th

Cincy - 94th

It’s a beauty contest not actual games played.  You don’t know how match your will go until you actually play.  That is why it is an extremely hard and risky to try to make a living betting on games. 

For instance we are terrible this year.  We lost to Missouri by 13 points.  With that and no other match ups against P5 opponents we have no clue as to how with match up against the other weak P5 programs.  You can’t select runner up conference losers over over undefeated conference champions.  It is straight BS.  I don’t care about the perceived strength of your conference if you didn’t win it.  You want to be a national champion? Win your conference.  Short of that let return to modified BCS system make the bowls count and select the 4 best Bowl Champions.  If a runner up SEC team beats Cincinnati in the citrus bowl that fine.  Put them in the playoff. But I don’t want to see Utah kick an SEC team’s ass in a Bowl game and hear “it doesn’t count” BS later.

2 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

It’s a beauty contest not actual games played.  You don’t know how match your will go until you actually play.  That is why it is an extremely hard and risky to try to make a living betting on games. 

For instance we are terrible this year.  We lost to Missouri by 13 points.  With that and no other match ups against P5 opponents we have no clue as to how with match up against the other weak P5 programs.  You can’t select runner up conference losers over over undefeated conference champions.  It is straight BS.  I don’t care about the perceived strength of your conference if you didn’t win it.  You want to be a national champion? Win your conference.  Short of that let return to modified BCS system make the bowls count and select the 4 best Bowl Champions.  If a runner up SEC team beats Cincinnati in the citrus bowl that fine.  Put them in the playoff. But I don’t want to see Utah kick an SEC team’s ass in a Bowl game and hear “it doesn’t count” BS later.

Im all for a return to the BCS. Made more sense to me than the CFP

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

You probably said the same thing about Gonzaga, Butler, Creighton, etc, etc.  Had they never been given the chance…well, let’s just say Gonzaga wouldn’t be Gonzaga if they played football. 

And no one has to give me a lecture about how basketball is different than football.  The point is everyone said the same things about those basketball teams:  if they were in a major conference they’d be average, if they played a better schedule they’d have more losses, etc.

Do I think Cincinnati is the best team in the nation?  Of course not, but that should be decided on the field, not in a conference room.

Edited by NT93
  • Upvote 4
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, emmitt01 said:

Wait... this is an option???

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, MeanGreen4Life1998 said:

Well if you wanna be in the CFP you gotta play good teams. Beating an overrated ND team and a bunch of average G5 teams doesn’t exactly scream that you’re deserving of a Playoff spot. 

Oregon, though I get beat Ohio State, lost to a very bad 3-5 Stanford team and yet there they are at 4. But the goal of this move was assuring that the Ohio State vs Oregon 'match up' is going to hold more "weight" than the Cincy vs Notre Dame matchup. When has a 1 loss ND team NOT been on the front porch of the rankings at 5th ready to sneak into that 4th spot just to inevitably be embarrassed? Answer: this year when 1) it would help Cincy if they were and 2) they'd have to put Cincy in front of them. So, instead, they push Notre Dames ranking to 10th and prioritize the Oregon vs OSU match up out of spite. 

It's criminal. 

The ACC sucks. The Pac12 sucks. Sucks as in top to bottom, on neutral fields, the AAC would test their clout. It's a money thing. A recruiting thing. An ego thing. The former and even standing ADs of P5 schools that sit on this "committee" will see to it that it stays this way. 

• Upvote 4