Phil Bennett Question

UNTLifer

So I have heard some comments about Bennett mentioned here and other places that are concerning, but I have no way of verifying if they are actually factual.  Can anyone provide factual insight on the following:

1.  Bennett is not living in Denton and is not here during the week.

2. I have heard Bennett is living in College Station and just travelling for games.

3. I have heard Bennett is living in Marshall and, same as above, just showing up for games.

Honestly, I find this hard to believe but I have had the wool pulled over my eyes on occasion in the past.  I also would be shocked if WB signed off on this agreement and that SL would be comfortable with one of his coordinators not working with his unit full-time.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

I can confirm that I was up at the school a few weeks ago and went to The Mean Green Village. The team was practicing, so I walked to the open gate to watch. PB was there right in the middle of everything coaching them up. That was 1 day on the middle of the week. 

I was kind of shocked to hear that he wasn't around as I don't take Bennett as one to not give 100%.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, greenjoe said:

I have zero problem with Phil wearing shorts on the sidelines during games.  Police officers wear shorts.  Letter carriers wear shorts.  UPS drivers wear shorts.  The Royal Teens wore short shorts.  This is a non-issue for me.

Well, we have been kicking it old school with the uniforms this year.

1981 Men's Football Coaches - Digital Commonwealth

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

2. I have heard Bennett is living in College Station and just travelling for games.

3. I have heard Bennett is living in Marshall and, same as above, just showing up for games.

4. I have heard Bennett steals all the left socks he can find at night. He hoards them until he amasses an apocalyptic collection with which he can then hold the world hostage until his demands are met: Everyone wears shorts on the sideline.

Even if any of the above were true, he's still been a MASSIVE step up from our previous sock gnomes.

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 1

The man is an Aggie who was enjoying retirement in BCS before UNT hired him. I would imagine he has a home in BCS and probably hasn’t sold it yet as ya know hes an Aggie. But I also cannot believe that UNT would be okay with him not being at practice, only going to games or whatever bs yall are mentioning. I guarantee hes got a place in Denton.

Hes done well as a DC for us despite the shit show that is the program under SL. If the offense could stay on the field for more than a minute on most drives then maybe the defense could stay more consistent throughout the game as they wouldn’t be as burned. Doesn’t help that no player development ever occurred prior to him or that he had to come in and implement the first intelligent defensive system we’ve had in years. If he continues at UNT then I’ll be happy but I’d imagine he’ll either go back into retirement or go to another school 

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

So I have heard some comments about Bennett mentioned here and other places that are concerning, but I have no way of verifying if they are actually factual.  Can anyone provide factual insight on the following:

Honestly, I find this hard to believe but I have had the wool pulled over my eyes on occasion in the past.  I also would be shocked if WB signed off on this agreement and that SL would be comfortable with one of his coordinators not working with his unit full-time.

1. Not true

2. Not true

3. Not true

He is involved in all of the practices, meetings, and time in the office with staff & players. 

Edited by UNT Mean Green
  • Upvote 2
  • Ray 1

8 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

If I remember when he was hired he was on the Sic'em Bear show and I believe he said he would not be in Denton full time. I think he also mentioned that during the offseason he would be spending more time at home and coordinating things remotely

WFH. It’s the new normal?

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Udomann said:

4. I have heard Bennett steals all the left socks he can find at night. He hoards them until he amasses an apocalyptic collection with which he can then hold the world hostage until his demands are met: Everyone wears shorts on the sideline.

Even if any of the above were true, he's still been a MASSIVE step up from our previous sock gnomes.

no no no, you all have this completely wrong...

Step 1:  Steal underpants

Step 2:  ???

Step 3:  Profit

A stinking pile of dirty underpants are indeed a MASSIVE step up from the covid version of "defense" here at U of NT.  I'm going back into hibernation again...  carry on all

• Haha 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

1 hour ago, SHOSS said:

no no no, you all have this completely wrong...

Step 1:  Steal underpants

Step 2:  ???

Step 3:  Profit

A stinking pile of dirty underpants are indeed a MASSIVE step up from the covid version of "defense" here at U of NT.  I'm going back into hibernation again...  carry on all

I guess we’ll see you in 2023