A day after being let go, Gary Patterson shows up to work for TCU football

Jonnyeagle

Please Wren - I beg of you - Please go get us Gary Patterson.  There are so many reasons that this makes sense for him and us.  As this article clearly states, he is still wanting to coach and he would be a once in a lifetime hire for North Texas.  I beg of you, put the University first on this one. 

Gary Patterson showed up to work on Monday. TCU and its longtime football coach parted ways on Sunday, but multiple people told the Star-Telegram that Patterson went to the football offices Monday — and not to pack his bags. Instead, Patterson met with a few of his assistants about the game plan he’d put together for Saturday’s game against No. 14 Baylor.

If Monday is any indication, it doesn’t appear that Patterson is ready to walk away from coaching anytime soon. Sources indicated that Patterson was in positive spirits Monday, walking around the offices as the former head coach. His friend and former special assistant, Jerry Kill, will serve as TCU’s interim coach for the remainder of the season.

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article255467571.html#storylink=cpy

• Upvote 1
  • Eye Roll 7

Maybe the fire really is in the belly still.  My gut was he is burned out and needs a break, but that act (possibly designed to display to next employer) gives me second thoughts.  He's been whiney this year after games, but he's tenacious, defensive minded, has great relationships with players, great recruiter...worth considering.

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

At some point we will find out but I think GP pissed off the wrong boosters. The last straw was probably when he called them out saying they were not doing enough.

Yep.  If you look at where TCU was when he came on the scene and where they are now, calling out your supporters in public was probably a poor decision.

• Upvote 5

23 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Yep.  If you look at where TCU was when he came on the scene and where they are now, calling out your supporters in public was probably a poor decision.

You think?

Can you imagine being a $5mil a year TCU supporter and your head coach says you're not doing enough?

I've been told when Amon Carter was expanded and the Suites built, it took a $1 million dollar per year donation to get and keep one of those suites.  Some of the suites may have required a larger donation.  If I heard wrong, someone please correct me.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, MrAlien said:

the transfer portal and the NIL have not been kind to their program, I think thats less on GP and more on the fact that TCU is not a major player when it comes to power schools. 

There was an interesting discussion on The Ticket this morning regarding the change in college football and coaching since the portal.  Player relationship building and maintenance are now a very important part of coaching.  Apparently that wasn’t Gary’s strong suit.  More of an authoritarian.  

• Upvote 5

8 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Please Wren - I beg of you - Please go get us Gary Patterson.  There are so many reasons that this makes sense for him and us.  As this article clearly states, he is still wanting to coach and he would be a once in a lifetime hire for North Texas.  I beg of you, put the University first on this one. 

Read more at: https://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article255467571.html#storylink=cpy

No GIF

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Eye Roll 1