DRC exclusive : UNT finalizes contract with Wren Baker

Brett Vito

44 minutes ago, greenminer said:

Another thought:

I speculate this has less to do with Wren's accomplishments, and more about sending a message to the AAC that we mean business.

Also if we’re willing to pony up $700,000 for our AD, what are we capable of shelling out for the next football coach to get a statement hire?

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

This is going to ruffle people but what if he never hires a good football coach to turn the program around? We don't know if it's deserved yet. What AD gets a huge raise because the golf program got a training facility?

It's all football. It's the only thing that matters. You say he's not the Football Director? Bull Schnikes....he is the football director. Because football is all that matters. The only reason you build all that stuff...is to complement or pump up the football program. And if that fancy new indoor facility (that he absolutely gets a ton of credit for no doubt) doesn't lead us to winning conference championships and top 25 rankings and NY6 type bowls....then why build it? There's a reason head football coaches make a lot more money than their bosses.....because Football is everything to an athletic department. And right now our everything is an absolute train wreck. Under his watch by the way.

Don't misunderstand me....I like Wren, I'm thrilled he's here. He gives me hope and I hope he's here a long time (which means he will have turned the football program around) But to use a standard that should be used to make this a top athletic program, you could easily argue Wren Baker does not deserve this raise yet. He hasn't turned around the only program that matters in his department. He may earn it in a few years for sure. But if Wren Baker leaves here and our football program doesn't make huge improvements, Wren Baker will have failed. That's still a possibility. 

He has a LOT to prove yet. And it all hinges on this hire coming up. 

I agree, but I also realize the AD is responsible for all programs under their direction.  I trust him to make the right hire and to complete his vision for facilities and the department as a whole. That is a tall order but he has yet to do anything to make me doubt him. 
A couple of weeks ago some on here were calling for him to be given his walking papers, yet behind the scenes he was working with Smatresk to secure our conference future. It wasn't a reactionary move either as they had the foresight to start the process over a year ago. 
Yes, there is a big hire on the horizon. I have a feeling he’s had a list of potential candidates for a while and this won’t be a reactionary move either. 

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2

22 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Is giving a big raise to an AD before he ever hires a football coach equal to giving a big raise to a HC with little to no wins against FBS winning teams?

Just curious....

19 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

This is going to ruffle people but what if he never hires a good football coach to turn the program around? We don't know if it's deserved yet. What AD gets a huge raise because the golf program got a training facility?

It's all football. It's the only thing that matters. You say he's not the Football Director? Bull Schnikes....he is the football director. Because football is all that matters. The only reason you build all that stuff...is to complement or pump up the football program. And if that fancy new indoor facility (that he absolutely gets a ton of credit for no doubt) doesn't lead us to winning conference championships and top 25 rankings and NY6 type bowls....then why build it? There's a reason head football coaches make a lot more money than their bosses.....because Football is everything to an athletic department. And right now our everything is an absolute train wreck. Under his watch by the way.

Don't misunderstand me....I like Wren, I'm thrilled he's here. He gives me hope and I hope he's here a long time (which means he will have turned the football program around) But to use a standard that should be used to make this a top athletic program, you could easily argue Wren Baker does not deserve this raise yet. He hasn't turned around the only program that matters in his department. He may earn it in a few years for sure. But if Wren Baker leaves here and our football program doesn't make huge improvements, Wren Baker will have failed. That's still a possibility. 

He has a LOT to prove yet. And it all hinges on this hire coming up. 

The purpose of this level of compensation is a strong commitment primarily about continuity & retention; and ultimately continuing to deliver step by step on the Master Plan laid out in 2018. There has been a TON of progress made, anyone who argues this is negligent; yet there is still a long ways to go. University leadership and the high percentage of our fanbase (and our peers) have the utmost confidence in Wren Baker and his team to continue leading this initiative. Wren has been approached about several AD jobs (multiple SEC opportunities already), and we need to do what we can to keep him. Thankful for our administrations commitment to enhancing athletics at UNT. 

Not to mention, for prospective football coaching candidates and their agents, wouldn't they want an opportunity to work for the person hiring them for the majority of their tenure at UNT?

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

40 minutes ago, UNT Mean Green said:

The purpose of this level of compensation is a strong commitment primarily about continuity & retention; and ultimately continuing to deliver step by step on the Master Plan laid out in 2018. There has been a TON of progress made, anyone who argues this is negligent; yet there is still a long ways to go. University leadership and the high percentage of our fanbase (and our peers) have the utmost confidence in Wren Baker and his team to continue leading this initiative. Wren has been approached about several AD jobs (multiple SEC opportunities already), and we need to do what we can to keep him. Thankful for our administrations commitment to enhancing athletics at UNT. 

Not to mention, for prospective football coaching candidates and their agents, wouldn't they want an opportunity to work for the person hiring them for the majority of their tenure at UNT?

That changes things a little. I wasn't aware of that. Are you saying an SEC team reached out to him for an AD job? He's already been a Deputy AD at an SEC school. 

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

That changes things a little. I wasn't aware of that. Are you saying an SEC team reached out to him for an AD job? He's already been a Deputy AD at an SEC school. 

Considering he's now making as much as some high level P5 jobs, it wouldn't surprise me one bit.

On 11/3/2021 at 12:36 PM, TheColonyEagle said:

Yes, there have been two cases of that during his tenure at UNT, along with a host of others reaching out as their AD position came open. Wren has earned that respect in the industry. Ideally, with a star employee like Wren Baker, you want to make it really hard for him / them to leave (in this case, probably compensate him near parity with his top 3-4 desired jobs in the country), where he would only go to one of his "dream" destinations. 

• Upvote 1