I’m sad about Seth 😢

greengal

2 hours ago, greengal said:

Sorry to vent but I so wanted him to be successful here and he is such a nice person.  His family loves being here and it just makes me sick that it didn’t work out.  I guess I’m coming to the realization that it will soon be over but am hoping he will finish strong.

He brought some life into UNT, and to be honest did a great job at finding the fantastic staff that developed kids into NFL/really talented players in his first 2 years. It just seemed when the roadblock hit, he couldn't find a way past it, which is extremely unfortunate. I don't see any situation where he comes back after this season, but he had us strongly believing in what he had the first 3 years. 

It does make me sad, but this is also the coaching industry and how it functions.

• Upvote 5

I would be sadder about Seth Littrell if he didn't have the sideline demeanor of a guy thinking about his golf game. Mike Canales was dropped twice into worse situations as UNT's interim coach and he was able to get the backing of the players and show how much the job meant to him. He was out there for the alma mater after his final game as coach following a season-ending loss in 2015 looking like he went to this school.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, rcade said:

I would be sadder about Seth Littrell if he didn't have the sideline demeanor of a guy thinking about his golf game. Mike Canales was dropped twice into worse situations as UNT's interim coach and he was able to get the backing of the players and show how much the job meant to him. He was out there for the alma mater after his final game as coach following a season-ending loss in 2015 looking like he went to this school.

Mike Canales is available! 

• Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 2

This is not about Seth as a person but as Head Coach and primary leader of UNT Football.

Most businesses can't sustain a 3 year run of losing money without some type of re-organization that includes leadership change.

He's now a millionaire, thanks to North Texas, and he'll be fine...

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Good man that it appears has lost his zeal for coaching.  I really think he is a "player's coach" because they seem to really like him, but sometimes these young men need more of a father figure than a friend.  A father will kick them in the rear when needed, demand discipline, etc...  SL may just be cutout to be a coordinator where you can be more of a friend than a mentor.

• Upvote 2

I met him at the Market St in Flower Mound several years ago. He was very nice and down to earth. Told me thanks for being a ticket holder and was curious about what we were doing for the super bowl (same weekend). I respect him very much and will always be thankful for the win against Arkansas and 9 win seasons.

However, it is time for a change. We have been on a downward spiral for 3 seasons now. The program needs to move in a different direction. Seth will be fine. I'm sure Sonny will give him a job, or Riley will let him be an offensive analyst for a year. He's a millionaire and his family will be taken care of for many years.

• Upvote 3

At 43, Littrell is young enough to get another head coaching shot in the future if he gets another OC job and does as well as he did under Larry Fedora at North Carolina.

He would be going against the norm, though. When coaches leave UNT for reasons other than taking a better head coaching job, the only ones I could find who ever got another top job at the college level were Bob Tyler at Millsaps College and Dennis Parker at Texas Lutheran. Rod Rust did become head coach of the New England Patriots and Montreal Alouettes.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, rcade said:

The beloved Chico was 2-3 after Dodge and 1-6 after McCarney. But the whole “lock the gate” bit and letting a grown man in tights lead the team on the field was cool I guess. 

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, MeanGreen22 said:

The beloved Chico was 2-3 after Dodge and 1-6 after McCarney. But the whole “lock the gate” bit and letting a grown man in tights lead the team on the field was cool I guess. 

Do you get the impression this season that Seth Littrell cares and is giving everything he has to turning things around?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, rcade said:

Do you get the impression this season that Seth Littrell cares and is giving everything he has to turning things around?

I have heard rumors, don't know if the are accurate or not so take them with a grain of salt, that SL isn't one to burn the midnight oil.  Coaching on the FBS level is a full-time x's 2 job during the season and you have to really be committed.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, rcade said:

Not everyone processes failure the same. I’m sure it’s starting to sit in that it’s going to be his last year and I’m sure that a tough feeling. I’m not going to pretend to know what he’s thinking/feeling but no coach is okay with failure.

Edited by MeanGreen22
  • Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Not everyone processes failure the same. I’m sure it’s starting to sit in that it’s going to be his last year and I’m sure that a tough feeling. I’m not going to pretend to know what he’s thinking/feeling but no coach is okay with failure.

This season wasn't a failure when it began but he didn't act like somebody who was fired up to be here.

If you're not enthusiastic how can anyone expect your players to be?

As someone who drifted back to the Mean Green this season after a few seasons of not watching closely I was amazed at the difference in Littrell's demeanor.

• Upvote 2

Seth is a mere cardboard cut out on the sidelines...he talks to no one and no one talks to him.  He never gets fired up and congratulates players coming off the field after a good play.  He seems moody and distant....seems to me the college kids need someone with a lot of fire as head coach.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1