A bold move...

Jonnyeagle

Just fire Seth now and lock Gary up!  He doesn't want to go through all these mindless interviews.   Get a number from his agent that says if you win it basically lets him coach until he is ready to retire on his terms.  Could live in Ft. Worth and keep his place family.   I think there is a small window here that would give us a once in a lifetime shot to land one of the greatest G5 to P5 coaches in the history of the sport.  This would be right up there with when we landed Hayden Fry from SMU.  Come on Wren please make this happen!  If you wait he may end up being gone.  Give him a simple easy way to keep doing what he loves at North Texas.

• Upvote 4
  • Eye Roll 1
  • Downvote 14

59 minutes ago, Jonnyeagle said:

Just fire Seth now and lock Gary up!  He doesn't want to go through all these mindless interviews.   Get a number from his agent that says if you win it basically lets him coach until he is ready to retire on his terms.  Could live in Ft. Worth and keep his place family.   I think there is a small window here that would give us a once in a lifetime shot to land one of the greatest G5 to P5 coaches in the history of the sport.  This would be right up there with when we landed Hayden Fry from SMU.  Come on Wren please make this happen!  If you wait he may end up being gone.  Give him a simple easy way to keep doing what he loves at North Texas.

Some things to consider:

1. Hes going to want a boat load of money

2. UNT is a G5 job which he may not want

3. He may not want to or know how to rebuild in the modern day. Not to mention he didn’t really have to do a rebuild at TCU as Dennis Franchione really did most of that for him and he assisted then was promoted to HC after Coach Fran left.

4. He may simply want to retire

5. He may never want to be a HC again and simply want to be a DC at a P5 school if he does coach again.

• Upvote 4

I doubt Patterson is the answer for NT or anyone else.  His tantrum about lack of resources at TCU to in effect buy players with NIL money demonstrates why he could never make it at a G5.   

The desire to get a name coach is ok, but not all fired p5 coaches are going to help NT.

First, wait for the season to end.  Littrell is not going anywhere if he wins 6 or probably 5.

Not advocating not doing coach research, I am sure Baker already has a list of possibilities.

If Littrell is terminated, I am sure Baker has a preferred short list which probably has names that have never been mentioned on this forum. 

Again, I think NT is in a great position to hire a great head football coach if necessary.   There are no guarantees on getting the right coach, but NT has more to offer than ever.   

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 5

When Gary Patterson took over at TCU, they were in the WAC and joined CUSA not long after.

There are good reasons to be dubious about hiring him at UNT, but he would know more than anybody about what it takes to go from G5 suffering to P5 success in DFW.

• Upvote 3

Because he’s already rich, he may not cost nearly as much as you’d think. He might just like the idea of being a coach again at a place with absolutely no unrealistic expectations. Come here and turn us into a 7-9 win team and your already way ahead of where we have been since 1995, as we have exactly 6 seasons of having won 7-9 games in a season. And his connections to TX HS coaches is already huge. And the biggest advantage we have is that we don’t have the NIL issues at this level that the power conferences do, so his harder style of coaching can succeed greatly at a place like this, just as it did in FW before they got into the Big XII and before the NIL/Transfer issues made things harder to coach 4-5* kids that don’t like being yelled at.

• Upvote 5

He is the type of coach I think UNT should be looking for, has had success in a power conference, knows how to build a program.   However it does not seem like patterson has passion for the game right now.  also I am not so sure UNT is prepared to do what it takes to bring in a coach of his caliber. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MrAlien said:

He is the type of coach I think UNT should be looking for, has had success in a power conference, knows how to build a program.   However it does not seem like patterson has passion for the game right now.  also I am not so sure UNT is prepared to do what it takes to bring in a coach of his caliber. 

I’d be willing to bet that all he needs is a new start…Hayden Fry had this happen at SMU and it turned into the best hire of our history.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Come here and turn us into a 7-9 win team and your already way ahead of where we have been since 1995, as we have exactly 6 seasons of having won 7-9 games in a season.

We have only won 6 games or more in a season 7 times since 1978. Seth has 2 of those. 
if Gary comes in here and only wins 7-9 games a season that will mean we never win our conference and will have not beaten any “good” teams. 
We are already hearing complaints about this problem with Seth.

Just saying…

• Upvote 3

I think it would be very important to determine if the "new era" of college football has passed by Coach Patterson before going after him for UNT's coach.  I am reminded of a friend in a simiilar circumstance, although in another sport.  Spent decades being a successful big-time college coach with national recognition and then let go after a couple of down years.  Upon reflection it seemed that the motivation methods, changes in the college game, and dealing with a new generation of college athlete didn't result in the same success any longer.  More parent demands and involvement, more student athletes who felt entitled, and a more fickle fanbase changed the skill set needed to continue to be a successful coach.  Adaptability to a new landscape in college sports is a must...some can do it and some are too set in their philosophy to be able to change.  I have no idea where Coach Patterson fits in this new landscape, but that would be a big point to determine before going after him.

• Upvote 5