C-USA down to 3 teams?

Harry

6 hours ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

No way they dissolve, giving up close to $10 mil each in exit fees collection. Independent is not a good option if you’re a  G5 with a local following. Army and Liberty can make it work but few others can. 

They may not have a choice. Have to have 6 teams to make a conference.  

• Upvote 1

I think they will have to add a few FBS teams. The issue is finding teams. While fans might want to move up, do the Presidents and regents. From a budget, if you look at ULM and their 15-17 million dollar budget, these Texas FCS schools already have a higher budget - Lamar, SFA, SHSU, and ACU. If you look at other conferences you could possibly pull teams from WAC. Southern, or MVC. So yes, it can be done. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Moobs said:

They may not have a choice. Have to have 6 teams to make a conference.  

No, they need 7 teams who all play mens and womens D1 basketball to be a multisport conference.  That is the minimum for a D1 conference.  They need 8 full (as in not part of the FCS->FBS transition program) FBS members to be an FBS conference.  

Being an FBS is probably out of the question now.  But if they can get to 7 they can stay a D1 multisport.  

• Upvote 3

11 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I just don't see any way the exiting teams pay the full fees. I think they end up maybe paying 1 million, maybe 1.5

I haven't seen the CUSA bylaws.  But I have heard from people who have that the exit fees are clearly laid out, you pay back two years of the conference distribution.  

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

No, they need 7 teams who all play mens and womens D1 basketball to be a multisport conference.  That is the minimum for a D1 conference.  They need 8 full (as in not part of the FCS->FBS transition program) FBS members to be an FBS conference.  

Being an FBS is probably out of the question now.  But if they can get to 7 they can stay a D1 multisport.  

And doesn't CUSA get to keep some NCAA unit money for a few years after NT leaves?  Costs for a multi sport but non football conference are less I think. I'm pretty sure they get at least 1 year to try to find more schools. Lots of reasons and ways to hang on for the exit money. The exit money is likely mostly forfeited media money. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I think they will have to add a few FBS teams. The issue is finding teams. While fans might want to move up, do the Presidents and regents. From a budget, if you look at ULM and their 15-17 million dollar budget, these Texas FCS schools already have a higher budget - Lamar, SFA, SHSU, and ACU. If you look at other conferences you could possibly pull teams from WAC. Southern, or MVC. So yes, it can be done. 

The last time I checked their budget is $20 million and higher than any present  or former Southland Conference athletic program. While that's not saying much, its the same amount as New Mexico State who CUSA is now begging to join. Sometimes in business its not about the bucks but about the loyalty. ULM is not the richest kid on the block, but they have done the most with what they have and been a team player for the SBC. The Bulldogs may have a better program but they forgot the golden rule; first you become a top producer, then you can become a pain in the ass.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Interesting, didn’t know that. Does this mean they would no longer be a FBS football conference if they can’t get to 8 FBS teams without FCS->FBS transition teams? 

• Upvote 2

Just now, VideoEagle said:

And doesn't CUSA get to keep some NCAA unit money for a few years after NT leaves?  Costs for a multi sport but non football conference are less I think. I'm pretty sure they get at least 1 year to try to find more schools. Lots of reasons and ways to hang on for the exit money. The exit money is likely mostly forfeited media money. 

Every NCAA unit is actually a payout for the value of that unit for each of the next five years, but paid TO THAT TEAMS CONFERENCE.

It gets more complicated because the the first two rounds gets you one unit each, but starting with the round of 16 each round is worth more than one unit, based on an escalating scale. 

So North Texas won 2 units in 2020.  That means that in 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024, and 2025 the conference will get two units worth of payout, plus what ever unit payouts the 5 year scale still has them in.  Now, the unit value changes every year because the NCAA takes the profits each year and then splits them into the total units distributed.

The conference the splits the payouts received for that year (and from the previous 4, its a 5 year rotation) out to each school.  

So yes, some of our exit fees will probably be covered by NCAA units, unless the bylaws prevent that.

But the other main components of the conference distribution, namely the CFP payout and the media rights, are paid out year by year.  There is no "new" money we can have them deduct from the fees we owe.

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Interesting, didn’t know that. Does this mean they would no longer be a FBS football conference if they can’t get to 8 FBS teams without FCS->FBS transition teams? 

Yes, however once you are an FBS conference you have a two year grace period.  If they can get 8 total schools that can all complete the FBS transition by the time the grace period ends, they can remain.

If not, then they can still be a D1 multisport, with a few schools that are FBS independents.  Then if they can get to 8 at a later date they can recertify as an FBS.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Cerebus said:

Yes, however once you are an FBS conference you have a two year grace period.  If they can get 8 total schools that can all complete the FBS transition by the time the grace period ends, they can remain.

If not, then they can still be a D1 multisport, with a few schools that are FBS independents.  Then if they can get to 8 at a later date they can recertify as an FBS.

Kind of hard to find numbers but looks like both new FCS adds (SHSU and Jacksonville State) hit the minimum attendance requirement. Always the old mass season ticket purchase trick, too. Wonder who team #8 will be once WKU and MTSU officially leave. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

So if y’all suck AAC changes their mind after a few years you should be sent packing.  

Got it. 

angry u mad GIF by Mayfly

Hey bro,

Im not saying they should kick ARSt out…. I’m saying kick out the obvious team that’s struggling to even make ends meet, let alone actually compete in anything.

This is really an odd sword to fall on.   Do you, or do you not think LATech would add more to the SBC than what LAMo currently provides?  It’s really a no-brainer.  Y’all should let bygones be bygones.  This is a business.  Ask SMU, they get it!

• Upvote 3
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

1 hour ago, wardly said:

The last time I checked their budget is $20 million and higher than any present  or former Southland Conference athletic program. While that's not saying much, its the same amount as New Mexico State who CUSA is now begging to join. Sometimes in business its not about the bucks but about the loyalty. ULM is not the richest kid on the block, but they have done the most with what they have and been a team player for the SBC. The Bulldogs may have a better program but they forgot the golden rule; first you become a top producer, then you can become a pain in the ass.

Where were you able to find that? I have seen several sites that all show around 15M

2 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Where were you able to find that? I have seen several sites that all show around 15M

My bad. I stand corrected. I guess I got in the expense column by error. I did take 131 basic accounting 3 times at UNT  before completion. Quite honestly, I don't see how they can even function in 1A with only that amount. However, I was more surprised at La. Tech budget of $23 million and ULL 's of $30 million. In a perfect world La. Tech would be in the SBC and ULM in the Southland Conference. I have always been surprised that individual conferences don't have a minimal athletic requirement for admittance. Oh well.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, wardly said:

My bad. I stand corrected. I guess I got in the expense column by error. I did take 131 basic accounting 3 times at UNT  before completion. Quite honestly, I don't see how they can even function in 1A with only that amount. However, I was more surprised at La. Tech budget of $23 million and ULL 's of $30 million. In a perfect world La. Tech would be in the SBC and ULM in the Southland Conference. I have always been surprised that individual conferences don't have a minimal athletic requirement for admittance. Oh well.

I meant "minimal FINANCIAL athletic requirement for admittance". Meds have not kicked in.