C-USA down to 3 teams?

Harry

6 minutes ago, wardly said:

Well ULM did beat Liberty this year, who beat ODU, UAB,MTSU, and UNT. ULL is standing beside ULM on the issue of La. Tech, who just learned what goes around comes around. They treated both schools like trailer trash for years  and are getting their comeuppance. The SBC party line is that they don't need a third school in Louisiana.Now if the Bulldogs had played well with others it could have been a different story.

Oh, I remember the backstory for sure.   
It's just that LATech is without a doubt, a better program than ULMo.  So if I'm, say, TXSt or GASt, I don't give a crap about the history between the 3 schools, I just want the best 2 in my conference, and right now, I see an opportunity to get arguably the best of the 3 (I know coach Napier has ULLa's team flying high right now, but that's about to end, and LATech's B-ball is REALLY GOOD), and maybe rid ourselves of a perennial bottom-feeder who happened to knock off Liberty.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You mean bystanding, and dragging everyone down?

Hard to believe us big city folks are the only ones who would think that during the budgets crunching times ULM spending 10-15 million less on their budget and still reaped the same benefits was their way of trying to help build the conference

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

La Tech being left behind is absolutely great for the rest of us in the region.

ULM basically played the tortoise and LT was the hare…and LT did everything publically to belittle both ULM and ULL, so neither of them have one reason to throw them a lifeline. 

What goes around comes around. Now, if we can get a local Dallas private school to feel the same sort of pain, all things will have gone full circle.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 3
  • Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

BFD. 

Dont piss on us telling us WE should add them. If you’re concerned. Invite them. 

If the JMU upgrade to FBS thing materializes and they enter the Sun Belt, then the New Sun Belt will have 14 football teams.  I wouldn't think the New Sun Belt would be interested in adding any other teams just for the sake of having more teams (revenue sharing, etc.).

However... maybe La Tech could make a push to be the 14th Sun Belt member instead of bringing JMU up from FCS... if La Tech, NLU, and ULaLa can all get along   🙂

• Upvote 1

I get a chuckle out of all the board members raking the Sun Belt when it's clear that when it comes to what matters, quality football, they have a much better conference.  The reality is conferences line up more along the lines of budget guarantees and academics.  Neither of which proved to make the CUSA better than the Sun Belt mainly because the differences were marginal.  Hopefully the AAC will be different but I won't hold my breath. 

• Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

You gotta think a bunch of SBC Presidents are getting together and trying to plot how they can boot ULM & grab LATech.   I know I would.

A little bit of history here. When the Sun Belt was going to add football, at first La Tech sounded like they would join. ULM wasn't ready to be a FBS program and was NOT going to be a football member. Then, La Tech backed out, effectively screwing all the football members planing to move from the Big West to the SBC. The only way the SBC would have enough schools was for ULM to bite a budgetary bullet and move up before they were ready. All the former Big West schools INCLUDING UNT asked ULM to move up and they agreed even though they repeatedly told everyone they were not ready. ULM took one for the team. In the years since, La Tech had multiple opportunities to  cooperate, ignore or actively try to stop the Belt from various activities. In almost every case, La Tech went out of their way to make every activity more difficult for the SBC and its member schools including UNT. I don't blame the SBC Presidents for not taking La Tech. And there are a enough SBC Presidents that know the history of what ULM did to make SBC football possible. I don't have a dog in this hunt and don't really care what the SBC decides. But if the SBC decides not to show mercy to a La Tech administration that spent every chance it could to hurt the SBC, I think that's completely fair.

I've read that when La Tech hosts Louisiana in sports, the PA announcers refer to them us USL - the equivalent of referring to UNT as NTSU. THAT is the kind of petty, vindictive, and scummy administration La Tech has. 

I'm sure @Arkstfan can correct the mistakes in my post, but I believe I got most of it correct. 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, ForneyGreen said:

If the JMU upgrade to FBS thing materializes and they enter the Sun Belt, then the New Sun Belt will have 14 football teams.  I wouldn't think the New Sun Belt would be interested in adding any other teams just for the sake of having more teams (revenue sharing, etc.).

However... maybe La Tech could make a push to be the 14th Sun Belt member instead of bringing JMU up from FCS... if La Tech, NLU, and ULaLa can all get along   🙂

Why would the SBC add La Tech? They already have that market covered and it’s a pissant market.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, wardly said:

Well ULM did beat Liberty this year, who beat ODU, UAB,MTSU, and UNT. ULL is standing beside ULM on the issue of La. Tech, who just learned what goes around comes around. They treated both schools like trailer trash for years  and are getting their comeuppance. The SBC party line is that they don't need a third school in Louisiana.Now if the Bulldogs had played well with others it could have been a different story.

Louisiana Tech is a legend in their own minds.

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Even better that they did it to themselves over a really petty feud over a number of years. It's honestly pretty hilarious.  How many times are you gonna shoot yourself in the foot over a small rivalry?

They did it to themselves 100%. I never liked Skip Holtz, never liked the school(especially when Sonny Dykes was there) and thought the insane devotion to their “rivalry” was beyond stupid

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh, I remember the backstory for sure.   
It's just that LATech is without a doubt, a better program than ULMo.  So if I'm, say, TXSt or GASt, I don't give a crap about the history between the 3 schools, I just want the best 2 in my conference, and right now, I see an opportunity to get arguably the best of the 3 (I know coach Napier has ULLa's team flying high right now, but that's about to end, and LATech's B-ball is REALLY GOOD), and maybe rid ourselves of a perennial bottom-feeder who happened to knock off Liberty.

So if y’all suck AAC changes their mind after a few years you should be sent packing.  

Got it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, ForneyGreen said:

Sun Belt presidents were adamant they were only adding two, until they found out the value of adding JMU and ODU. 

No conference not in peril adds schools that don’t bolster revenue and you certainly don’t take money out of your own wallet when you have plenty of schools. 

UL, ULM, are the only members with leadership who has dealt with Tech. Georgia State didn’t want Georgia Southern. Leadership didn’t care that GAState didn’t want them the others did. 

If the money was there, UL and ULM would have been ignored and lost the vote 10-2 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

It's not over till the fat lady sings, though I think she might be warming up.

CUSA just needs to convince 4 D1 basketball schools to join, that keeps them alive as multisport conference, even if the 3 FBS schools have to go independent.  

If they can just limp along for a couple of years they can still receive exit fees from 11 schools, somewhere in the $33M-$45M range, that's a lot of incentive for those schools. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

It's not over till the fat lady sings, though I think she might be warming up.

CUSA just needs to convince 4 D1 basketball schools to join, that keeps them alive as multisport conference, even if the 3 FBS schools have to go independent.  

If they can just limp along for a couple of years they can still receive exit fees from 11 schools, somewhere in the $33M-$45M range, that's a lot of incentive for those schools. 

I just don't see any way the exiting teams pay the full fees. I think they end up maybe paying 1 million, maybe 1.5

Edited by El Paso Eagle