Some Names That Interest Me

UNTLifer

Harry
This post was recognized by Harry!

"Good info"

UNTLifer was awarded the badge 'Great Content' and 15 points.

Would be curious with everyone's feedback:

Curt Cignetti:  Head coach at JMU.  Overall heading coaching record of 95-30 at the FCS level.  Has coached at Rice, Temple, Pitt, NC State, and Alabama with head coaching experience at Indiana University Pennsylvania, Elon and James Madison.  Currently paid $425,000

Jay Hill: Head coach at Weber State.  #1 Problem is that he has spent his entire career in the state of Utah.  Was a GA/Asst. from '01 to '13.  Been at Weber State as the HBC since '14 and has compiled a record of 52-31/39-14 in conference.  Salary is $185,000

Eric Morris: HC at ICW.  Comes from the TX Tech coaching tree.  Currently paid $260,000.  

Doug Belk: DC/AHC at Houston.  Strong background.

Please feel free to comment/add other names.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 5

6 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Curt Cignetti:  Head coach at JMU.  Overall heading coaching record of 95-30 at the FCS level.  Has coached at Rice, Temple, Pitt, NC State, and Alabama with head coaching experience at Indiana University Pennsylvania, Elon and James Madison.  Currently paid $425,000

Jay Hill: Head coach at Weber State.  #1 Problem is that he has spent his entire career in the state of Utah.  Was a GA/Asst. from '01 to '13.  Been at Weber State as the HBC since '14 and has compiled a record of 52-31/39-14 in conference.  Salary is $185,000

Eric Morris: HC at ICW.  Comes from the TX Tech coaching tree.  Currently paid $260,000.  

I like Gary Patterson, former head coach at TCU…finished in the top ten AP poll 6x, in the top 25 Ap poll 12x

Edited by untjim1995
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

I like Gary Patterson, former head coach at TCU…

$20 he won't be coaching anywhere next year, maybe two.  Hell, he may just ride away with his millions.  He's probably banked over $50 million.

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

$20 he won't be coaching anywhere next year, maybe two.  Hell, he may just ride away with his millions.  He's probably banked over $50 million.

Very possible…but coaches really only know how to do one thing and that is to coach. He wouldn’t have to change much to be our HFC—and he’s already made his cash

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

I think I'm with you here....I don't know Patterson's heart and mind but he built a darn good program there and it had to take a toll...think about where he started there to now. I would not blame him for getting on a plane and sitting on a beach for a year sipping drinks. 

Maybe he's not wired that way....only he knows.

• Upvote 1

There is a laundry list of guys who have been thrown around on here.
But one I'll keep bringing up (especially if the up-and-coming OC is a desired target) is:
Mike Yurcich

A QB coach who learned a lot as the OC of some of Gundy's best OKSt teams.   I think he'll have an easier time finding a successful OC than Littrell who is more of a RBs coach.

• Downvote 4

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Know nothing of Cignetti but you have to wonder what he knows about recruiting Texas. Could be an interesting option nonetheless

Hill most definitely isn’t leaving Weber St for UNT. Like you said hes from there and hes gains very little by coming here.

I do not want Morris as I don’t ever want to see UNT running the air raid unless Mike Leach is here which ain’t happening

Belk would be a very interesting option but with no HC experience I wonder what UNT would think. Id definitely look at him though

• Skeptical Eagle 1

Whoever it ends up being, we need to go big... someone worthy or backing up the old brinks truck because we cannot remain $1 dollars behind UTKFC in coaching salary pool with our next hire. i like the idea of Joey McGuire a lot, but will be happy with Fuente or giving Doug Belk a go. 

However, I don't see any of this happening this year... Littrell gets one more shot at it because of bringing in Phil Bennett as much as anything else... Maybe it's my little mean green defense mechanism, but I am resigned to this being a 2022-23 hiring process.  

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2

No particular order

• K.C. Keeler from SHSU
  • Colby Carthel from SFA
  • Todd Graham from Hawaii
  • Kevin Sumlin
  • Clay Helton
  • Skip Holtz from La Tech
  • Chris Petersen from Fox Sports
  • Justin Fuente from VT
  • Deon Sanders for Jackson State
  • Rich Rodriguez from ULM

I think when it does come open there will be some names that make contact that will make a lot of us say WOW!

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

No particular order

• K.C. Keeler from SHSU
  • Colby Carthel from SFA
  • Kevin Sumlin
  • Clay Helton
  • Justin Fuente from VT

I think when it does come open there will be some names that make contact that will make a lot of us say WOW!

This is a pretty solid list. Very good chance next coach could be on it. I would subtract a few. But solid!!

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

This is a pretty solid list. Very good chance next coach could be on it. I would subtract a few. But solid!!

I know Sanders is a long shot, but we talk about what happens when Taylor walks in a High School the same time as Seth - Well, if Deion walks in the HS coach might keep talking to Taylor, but the player is headed for Prime.

Edited by El Paso Eagle
  • Upvote 2

29 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

No particular order

• K.C. Keeler from SHSU
  • Colby Carthel from SFA
  • Kevin Sumlin
  • Clay Helton
  • Justin Fuente from VT

I’d like Keeler alot. Hes a winner and supposed to be a good guy

Carthel is definitely a very strong option and one of the top candidates I believe

Wouldn’t touch Graham. Mom knows him fron HS and I’ve met him. Hes a total sleezebag and would bail on us the first chance he gets for a better job

HELL NO on Kevin Sumlin. Lots of Aggies in my family plus I love A&M and he’s a pitiful coach. Kingsbury, Manziel and Evans made him and he went downhill from there. And I remember at A&M and Arizona there were plenty of videos of him hammered after big losses and having to be helped to his room

Clay Helton needs to learn how to be a HC under someone else first

Holtz wouldn’t leave LA Tech I don’t think unless its a bigger job

Petersen would be amazing but i feel like he’s really enjoying retirement and he makes more sense in the Northwest

Fuente is a coach with some connections to the North Texas area and Wren Baker and I’d be interested in getting

Deion would bring a media circus with him and he’s not proven anything yet

Rich Rod has a long history of being difficult to work with and choking in big games

• Upvote 1