Wren’s Decision Process

Hookset

4 minutes ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Ok, I had heard differently from some Tech Alums. 

It's a logical assumption. Joey and Traylor are good friends. Joey recommended Traylor to UTSA when he turned down the job 2 years ago. Joey is ready to be a college head coach but he is getting paid a tremendous amount of money at Baylor and is patient. I believe he will do a fantastic job wherever he ends up. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, fbcoach said:

It's a logical assumption. Joey and Traylor are good friends. Joey recommended Traylor to UTSA when he turned down the job 2 years ago. Joey is ready to be a college head coach but he is getting paid a tremendous amount of money at Baylor and is patient. I believe he will do a fantastic job wherever he ends up. 

He might end up the HC at Baylor.  I think LSU will make a play for Aranda.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, AsianEagle said:

Hi everyone, first time commenting on this board. Please go easy on me.

I think it depends on who is available, and if there is someone who Wren really want. If not, why not wait another year? I totally agree SL is not the solution long-term; but I don’t want Wren to just hire someone he is not too exited about just for the sake of change.

For example, if Wren’s list includes Fuente and Patterson and VT keeps Fuente another year. Or if Patterson wants to take a year off to reassess? In that case, he waits another year to see if he can get “his guy” while saving some money (from buyout) in the process.

I’ll hang up and listen.

You make a valid point.  If there are a ton of teams looking for coaches maybe we are better off keeping Seth another year, but putting a tight leash on him as far as recruiting and hiring.  That way we could pay down his salary owed and also look for a coach that is a better fit.  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

34 minutes ago, AsianEagle said:

I think it depends on who is available, and if there is someone who Wren really want. If not, why not wait another year? I totally agree SL is not the solution long-term; but I don’t want Wren to just hire someone he is not too exited about just for the sake of change.

For example, if Wren’s list includes Fuente and Patterson and VT keeps Fuente another year. Or if Patterson wants to take a year off to reassess? In that case, he waits another year to see if he can get “his guy” while saving some money (from buyout) in the process.

I’ll hang up and listen.

This is a VERY VERY good post! Welcome to the board

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, AsianEagle said:

I’ll hang up and listen.

Welcome

2L0vXjOe4SlR.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Solid post. I will say that if they do in fact decide to keep Littrell another year, I hope they are ready for another year of taking a hit in attendance and revenue. Attendance has dropped significantly this season and I highly doubt another season of Littrell following a potential 2 win season this year will change that. Is saving some money worth losing long term fans as several have said they won't attend another game with Littrell as the head coach? 

I am realistic enough to understand the buyout is a factor that has to be considered and if Wren and Neil make that call I will be ticked, but I will still cheer for the Mean Green. However, you are spot on with the potential impact to fan support. It looks like we will start AAC play in 2023; we need to give the new coach time to be ready. If we were starting AAC play in 2024 you might be able to wait a year so the new HC had time to start getting ready. I also worry what it does to recruiting if Seth returns knowing there is a very good chance he is on the way out? 

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I am realistic enough to understand the buyout is a factor that has to be considered and if Wren and Neil make that call I will be ticked, but I will still cheer for the Mean Green. However, you are spot on with the potential impact to fan support. It looks like we will start AAC play in 2023; we need to give the new coach time to be ready. If we were starting AAC play in 2024 you might be able to wait a year so the new HC had time to start getting ready. I also worry what it does to recruiting if Seth returns knowing there is a very good chance he is on the way out? 

Exactly. Great post. Now is the time to prepare for the AAC. Bringing in a new coach will give him a couple of years to get his program built in time to hit the ground running in the AAC. Littrell is a lame duck coach at this point that we know is not the coach of the future. Why waste any more time with him when it would be better served to prepare ourselves for competing in the new conference? In the era of the transfer portal, programs can be built up pretty quickly with the right guy pulling the strings. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I realize fans will be disappointed if we don’t make a change after three consecutive losing seasons and uninspired football. However, most of us (from what I can see) have complete faith in Wren and the leadership team.

IF “that coach” (who Wren really wants) is available at the end of this season, we can assume (and trust) Wren will do everything in his power to get that coach in here. Even if it meant paying a buyout fee.

But if for some reasons “that coach” is not available, should we not assume (and trust) Wren would wait to get the right coach in here?

I realize we may temporarily lose some fans, but if/when we start winning again after the right hire, fans will eventually return.

I hope and Trust Wren is building and setting up the program for long-term success. If this meant waiting another year for a new head coach, it is worth one more losing season and uninspiring football. In Wren we trust.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

16 hours ago, BillySee58 said:

I think that’s on Baker to evaluate the things behind the scenes. Is Littrell’s message really getting through to his team? Is there real tangible development on the roster or are we just mostly beating teams that are bad by FBS standards? Is the fire still there to get us back at or above where we were in 2017/2018?

We can win out and Wren can still have unfavorable conclusions towards those questions on Littrell. I’ve said this before, but the good thing about getting into the AAC now is that buys us some time. We got a seat in this game of musical chairs, whether Littrell is here next year or not. The urgency level has fallen off.

If Littrell somehow gets to a bowl game, keeping him for next season still allows favorable options, as long as you raise the bar again for next season. If you do keep Littrell for 2022, the bar for staying in 2023 isn’t another 6-win seasons. It’s be a legitimate CUSA West contender or have a new coach heading into the AAC in 2023.

I don’t see any sort of message getting through to Seth’s team. The amount of penalties we have some games is disastrous - Take Liberty for example. I was going to walk down to the bleachers and rip those players a new one if they got one more freaking sideline penalty. SIDELINE penalty. Never in my life have I seen 3+ sideline penalties in one game. This was kind of the icing on the cake for me with their penalties - they are just really undisciplined. All of their penalties each game should be eye-opening ... They seem to be ongoing and do not get fixed. They have looked this way for at least the past 2 seasons as well. 

I would love to see some kind of fire lit under their asses at some point that stays lit. 🤞🏼Unfortunately, I just think most on this forum have been saying for a few years now that they feel Seth has lost his team - I tend to agree, but I hope I’m proved wrong.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Jessica M Hall said:

I don’t see any sort of message getting through to Seth’s team. The amount of penalties we have some games is disastrous - Take Liberty for example. I was going to walk down to the bleachers and rip those players a new one if they got one more freaking sideline penalty. SIDELINE penalty. Never in my life have I seen 3+ sideline penalties in one game. This was kind of the icing on the cake for me with their penalties - they are just really undisciplined. All of their penalties each game should be eye-opening ... They seem to be ongoing and do not get fixed. They have looked this way for at least the past 2 seasons as well. 

I would love to see some kind of fire lit under their asses at some point that stays lit. 🤞🏼Unfortunately, I just think most on this forum have been saying for a few years now that they feel Seth has lost his team - I tend to agree, but I hope I’m proved wrong.

Agreed with all of the above. In another post, I compared this team to the early to mid-2000s Raiders that not only had the most penalties in the league but doubled the next closest team and appeared to be actively finding ways to lose games. Rice might be one of the worst I've felt after a win. Once again, we looked like we were trying to lose that game and Rice just came out slightly more incompetent than us with a backup QB and in overtime. This team is just so bad and undisciplined. Whatever Littrell is trying to do isn't working and this is after 6 years at the helm. I've seen what I need to see. 

1 hour ago, BillySee58 said:

Yeah, I agree. Which is why Wren needs to make the decision based on more than just if he wins out. We could stumble to a few more wins while still playing sloppy and that doesn’t necessarily mean he has earned another year. And like someone else said, it depends on who is available as well.

Agreed. A few sloppy wins in the worst conference in the country against bottom of the barrel teams shouldn't make anyone believe Littrell has finally righted the ship. His record against teams with winning records should tell the entire story. This appears like it will be an active off season for the coaching carousel and with the number of coaches and coordinators that should be available, I have no doubt we'll find our guy. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 3

18 hours ago, AsianEagle said:

I’ll hang up and listen.

I think your point is valid, especially with GP. A lot to think about for him.

I don’t know if there is a scenario where Fuente would hang around just another year at VT if there was a chance to start fresh and probably get 3-4 years of employment runway. He’s in year 6 at VT and probably has a good idea that a change is going to come within the next couple of years if things don’t turn around this year.

• Upvote 3

38 minutes ago, MeanMag said:

I think your point is valid, especially with GP. A lot to think about for him.

I don’t know if there is a scenario where Fuente would hang around just another year at VT if there was a chance to start fresh and probably get 3-4 years of employment runway. He’s in year 6 at VT and probably has a good idea that a change is going to come within the next couple of years if things don’t turn around this year.

So it could be a ‘writing on the wall’ situation & he gets out like Holgorsen did from WVU to Houston?   I suppose that’s possible, but he’d be giving up a ton of money (huge buyout & salary difference) to do so.

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

So it could be a ‘writing on the wall’ situation & he gets out like Holgorsen did from WVU to Houston?   I suppose that’s possible, but he’d be giving up a ton of money (huge buyout & salary difference) to do so.

I think that’s probably a good way to put it, although I think Fuente is released at year’s end, already. Sonny Dykes is being linked to that job as a replacement.

Clay Helton is rumored to be going to GSU.

If UNT wants Fuente - this is going to be the year to do it, I think.

• Upvote 1

Speaking of Georgia Southern - You want to talk about a school with very little patience for losing? Unless there is more to the story (which there probably is), Chad Lundsford won 10, 7, and 8 games and won 2 of the 3 bowl games they've been to in the past 3 years before going 1-3 to start the year.

And they are going to hire USC's released head coach.

Pretty decisive leadership there.

Edited by MeanMag
  • Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, MeanMag said:

Speaking of Georgia Southern - You want to talk about a school with very little patience for losing? Unless there is more to the story (which there probably is), Chad Lundsford won 10, 7, and 8 games and won 2 of the 3 bowl games they've been to in the past 3 years before going 1-3 to start the year.

And they are going to hire USC's released head coach.

Pretty decisive leadership there.

I wonder what the connection is? It's a pretty big leap from the PAC 12  Southern Cal job to Georgia Southern.

• Upvote 1

On 11/1/2021 at 10:02 AM, 97and03 said:

SoMiss and FIU are bad teams (so are we) so we have a good chance even if on the road. Not sure where the fifth win might come from. 

If there is a fifth win it would almost certainly come against UTEP.  It will be homecoming so maybe they won't want to be embarrassed in front of the home folks.  We should find out who wants to stay for the AAC.  

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, wardly said:

I wonder what the connection is? It's a pretty big leap from the PAC 12  Southern Cal job to Georgia Southern.

I think maybe Clay Helton may be a fish out of water in Southern California. I think the big leap was Helton going to USC. Helton’s experience was all in the south east and east before USC, so this could be seen as a coming home.

Maybe Helton was too good to pass up for GSU. It was a relatively quick hire for them.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, MeanMag said:

I think maybe Clay Helton may be a fish out of water in Southern California. I think the big leap was Helton going to USC. Helton’s experience was all in the south east and east before USC, so this could be seen as a coming home.

Maybe Helton was too good to pass up for GSU. It was a relatively quick hire for them.

Bravo to Ga Southern for saying "hey let's at least call him"

That's why NO coach is too crazy to at least make a call.

• Upvote 1