Wren’s Decision Process

Hookset

18 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I’m not saying this would happen, but if Seth somehow did run the table, including a win over UTSA and then the bowl game, he would obviously be kept on for next year. Are we excited or do we feel like the blip of success is delaying the inevitable? 

No way he gets canned with all that momentum.  6-straight wins with 1 against a ranked UTSA team at home, plus a bowl game win (doesn't matter who it's against) buys him another year.  Definitely.

I would assume this also comes with a complete 180-degree change in Littrell's observable demeanor both on the sidelines & when speaking to fans & reporters.

... It would 100% be a blip/mirage unless we can see this obvious change in Littrell.

I believe, the next 3 weeks should see NT come in favored to win.    And unless something crazy happens, like McCormick & Harris both suffer season-ending injuries & UTSA slides, UTSA is going to be heavily-favored to win the final game.  If/when UTSA wins, Baker does not need to go looking around for some spare bowl game for a 5-win NT team to play in again... just cut the cord & hire a new coach immediately.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Scratch that Nick Saban yells at players. I believe I seen someone say that yelling at players was a no go in there opinion. So I stand corrected no coach would make every one on the board happy

LOL ive seen people say they’d rather have a nice guy like SL rather than a winner who yells at his players and flips out on em..its mind boggling

• Upvote 4
  • Skeptical Eagle 1

54 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Looking back, the real sign of how Littrell runs the team was the blowout at FAU where the team took it as a Florida vacation and the coaches wives were posting stuff all over social media.  Poorly handled and the program is a reflection of that lack of focus.  Time to move on, win out or not.

Wow!

Are you really concerned about what the coaches wives post on social media?

Kiffen curb stomped everyone to get a P5 job. 
I do wish Seth had that same laser focus and was just as heartless as Kiffen. 
That said, Kiffen is challenging to like.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

A deflated UTEP team realizing that despite racing out to a 6-1 start, all the teams they beat are bad, and they're going to be left out of the conference shuffling because no one believes in them.

If NT can beat Rice, we can beat SoMiss, UTEP & FIU.

We then go into the UTSA game on a 4 game win streak with people ignorantly saying Littrell is earning an opportunity to go at it again next season (maybe even with some false hope we'll win the game), only to get smacked down worse than the UAB game because UTSA doesn't play around when it comes to UNT.

If for some reason, the UTSA game is somewhat close, Baker CANNOT let it give him pause.   

Littrell must be gone the very next day.

If we got to 5 wins, SL will be back…4 wins possibly/probably does the trick because of the expense of the buyout. 3 or 2 wins is what’s in our best interest. It’s the only reasonable way that SL would have to be bought out, as you will be making less progress than the year before.

• Upvote 2
  • RV 1

7 minutes ago, Hookset said:

Wow!

Are you really concerned about what the coaches wives post on social media?

Kiffen curb stomped everyone to get a P5 job. 
I do wish Seth had that same laser focus and was just as heartless as Kiffen. 
That said, Kiffen is challenging to like.

Missing the point.  Seth treated that trip like a vacation.  

• Upvote 4

7 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

If we got to 5 wins, SL will be back…4 wins possibly/probably does the trick because of the expense of the buyout. 3 or 2 wins is what’s in our best interest. It’s the only reasonable way that SL would have to be bought out, as you will be making less progress than the year before.

It's been said the buyout is not a problem.    Period.     5 wins is unacceptable.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

This is probably wishful thinking but I have to think Baker has his mind made up. He’s going to be making his first football HC hire after this season period. And there’s nothing Littrell can do to change his mind. Again, wishful thinking but if that were the case….best case WOULD be for Littrell to win 4 out of 5 to end the season. Let a new HC take that momentum and give it an even bigger boost. Imagine a new HC to energize a program that is showing progress. Win-win

Don’t be surprised if Baker hires a coach he has worked with before at a prior school. ADs love to do that

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

There is no way in hell Seth is back.

Give me Patterson, Fuente, or whoever can lead and build this program back up.

I really think it will be Fuente the more i read. They were at Memphis together so they obviously know each other, Fuente is from Oklahoma so this would allow him to be closer to home and he coached at TCU and had alot of success. Id imagine recruiting for him here would be easier too

Also Darrell Dickey was the OC for Fuente at Memphis

Edited by MeanGreen4Life1998
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NorthTexasSportsNetwork said:

There is no way in hell Seth is back.

Give me Patterson, Fuente, or whoever can lead and build this program back up.

I like Patterson, Fuente,McGuire, and Harrell as top candidates. Here are the questions I have with those four:

1. Patterson - does he have the drive and energy to rebuild this program?

2. Justin Fuente- Does he have the Texas ties to recruit Texas, especially against Traylor?

3. Joey McGuire- Does he have the ability to lead a program with no FBS coordinator experience?

4. Graham Harrell - Can he bring in quality assistant coaches and not be a Littrell 2.0?

Either way, I trust Wren will hire the best guy. There’s still a lot of season left until a decision with Littrell has to be made

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

I like Patterson, Fuente,McGuire, and Harrell as top candidates. Here are the questions I have with those four:

2. Justin Fuente- Does he have the Texas ties to recruit Texas, especially against Traylor?

3. Joey McGuire- Does he have the ability to lead a program with no FBS coordinator experience?

4. Graham Harrell - Can he bring in quality assistant coaches and not be a Littrell 2.0?

Either way, I trust Wren will hire the best guy. There’s still a lot of season left until a decision with Littrell has to be made

Very intrigued by McGuire now that he won't be going with Traylor to Tech. 

25 minutes ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

I’ve been looking on some boards and the SMU writer said he expects, if the job opens, that Joe McGruire would the guy. Maybe because of defensive experience? Who knows

4 minutes ago, MeanGreen2019 said:

Pass on Harrell.   IMO, those of you wanting Harrell, it's only because you're familiar with him & would be passing up on more-qualified OCs out there like Lebby/KBriles/Yurcich just because you know Harrell.

Fuente was with Patterson during the MWC championship/Rose Bowl run through 2011, and is a huge reason they landed in the Big12.   I know that was 10 years ago, but during his last season at Memphis in 2015, he had 11 guys from Texas on his roster.  Only 2 guys from Texas on his current VATech roster though, so having successful Texas recruiters on his staff here would be critical as he's rebuilding those relationships.   He'd have good luck with the long-time established guys around here, but may need to make new friends with the younger coaches.

I'm just really torn on McGuire.   On paper, credentials-wise, he looks to be just like Jeff Traylor (except that Traylor was able to glean from multiple different coaches/environments, whereas McGuire has only been at Baylor under Rhule and Aranda.   If we could guarantee Traylor's results...  OK!

Patterson... who wouldn't be interested in the architect of the story UNT desperately wants to re-create?   Does he still have the fire to turn NT into a perennial ranked, P5-beating, team?

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Missing the point.  Seth treated that trip like a vacation.  

Probably.

UNT hadn’t ever played for a conference championship in CUSA.

I bet he wanted the players to enjoy it and I am sure they thought they would be back playing for many more championships.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Looking back, the real sign of how Littrell runs the team was the blowout at FAU where the team took it as a Florida vacation and the coaches wives were posting stuff all over social media.  Poorly handled and the program is a reflection of that lack of focus.  Time to move on, win out or not.

Yes, the coach’s wives social media posts is what is hurting our QB development and depth in the secondary.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, UNT Texas Hooligan said:

Very intrigued by McGuire now that he won't be going with Traylor to Tech. 

McGuire was never going to Tech with Traylor. He might go by himself but not as the 2nd fiddle. 

• Upvote 1