UTSA Extends Traylor

Green Mean

14 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

7 more than Traylor, which is who we are talking about.  Also, you probably don't want me to go through the record for every other coach. 

He probably has everyone except Odus Mitchell beat.

Give Traylor 7 and a half more seasons to accommodate you.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

Why don’t you check how many Seth has? Maybe that’ll cool your jets.

Not really sure what you think we're arguing about?  I'm not for SL, or against Traylor.

I'm just correcting the statement that Dickey, like Traylor, had no wins against an FBS team with a winning record.

Dickey does, right now Traylor doesn't.  He probably will, possibly against UTEP this week.  But UTSA did extend him before he had one, and NT did not do that for DD.

• Upvote 6

6 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Not really sure what you think we're arguing about?  I'm not for SL, or against Traylor.

I'm just correcting the statement that Dickey, like Traylor, had no wins against an FBS team with a winning record.

Dickey does, right now Traylor doesn't.  He probably will, possibly against UTEP this week.  But UTSA did extend him before he had one, and NT did not do that for DD.

Great point, this is a surprising fact. This could be a very risky move. I was just lamenting how scheduling is done in college football to a friend. I don’t think SMU, or even UTSA for that matter, will be ranked by season’s end. They came upon a very favorable early schedule. At the end of the day, being ranked mid-season is obviously something we’d be thrilled about, but being ranked at the end of the season is the mark of a truly great G5 team. I wish conference schedulers would balance things more at the beginning of the year. UNT could reasonably win 5 games and not look nearly as bad as our 1-6 start would suggest. Look at the combined record of our opponents vs UTEP’s. 

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

You said I probably wouldn’t want you to look at the record for every other coach and I realized Seth had more than Dickey in fewer seasons.

The statement on Dickey was a bit sarcastic. I know he technically had a few wins against above .500 teams but know that he, like Traylor, gets credit as if he’d won games against teams that were worth a damn. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

7.5 mil is doable if a P5 really wants him. That figure drops after each passing year.

i think he deserves this more than SL deserved his extension, but I still can’t help thinking this will also not pan out favorably for the UKFC football program.

I think it’s going to cost tech that much to get rid of Matt Wells. TCU was paying Patterson that much per year. I could see them having to pay that much for a buyout.

• Upvote 2

Slightly OT, but I feel hidden behind all of UTSA's attention is the fact that it seems so hard for us to get similar praise.  I have no basis for this, but I feel very strongly that if we were in the same situation with the same record and all, the media would still not be be considering us for T25.

This is just years of Mean Green hard luck beat down, I suppose.  Frustrating to see them get to T20 so quickly.

• Upvote 2

I mean how do we really know they have the money to back up these claims?  Why would Trailerhitch do anything to dispute it?  His stock just goes up because of it.

I'm sorry but I just have a hard time seeing that a glorified junior college would be able to pull that kind of coin for a guy who likely has one foot out the door?

These guys have basically high school facilities and rent their football stadium.  How could they possibly afford to offer this dude 28 million?  I just don't buy it. 

• Upvote 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 1

9 hours ago, Jonnyeagle said:

I mean how do we really know they have the money to back up these claims?  Why would Trailerhitch do anything to dispute it?  His stock just goes up because of it.

I'm sorry but I just have a hard time seeing that a glorified junior college would be able to pull that kind of coin for a guy who likely has one foot out the door?

These guys have basically high school facilities and rent their football stadium.  How could they possibly afford to offer this dude 28 million?  I just don't buy it. 

Maybe they decided to put all their money in their coaches.   Why pay for a new stadium when they are practically given  a 72,000 seat indoor stadium.  You don't buy a cow when the milk is free.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, greenminer said:

Slightly OT, but I feel hidden behind all of UTSA's attention is the fact that it seems so hard for us to get similar praise.  I have no basis for this, but I feel very strongly that if we were in the same situation with the same record and all, the media would still not be be considering us for T25.

This is just years of Mean Green hard luck beat down, I suppose.  Frustrating to see them get to T20 so quickly.

I don't think this is true. The unbeaten thing has great attention to it, if you get deep enough into the season. When is the last time NT was 8-0 (not rethorical question, without looking it up, I am not sure it has ever happened)

• Upvote 1