UTSA Extends Traylor

Green Mean

6 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Man. Short memories. Yeah did you forget getting destroyed in the CUSA Championship game? The two bowl blowouts prior to the extension? The multiple second half collapses within those two 9 winning seasons? There were plenty of red flags but people gave him the benefit of the doubt because yeah you’re right he was the first guy to do it since Hayden Fry 

200.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Not to mention a TXHSFB stadium named after him. Traylor is a damn high school legend in East Texas. Seth and Traylor walk into a high school at the same time looking to talk to a recruit…. We don’t stand a snowman chance in hell

P 5’s Will piggy back recruits like they always do on successful recruiters. The transfer portal is going to be more important than HS recruiting as witnessed by the Houston SMU game.  This involves playing time and facilities. 

• Upvote 2

Man, if we hire a really good, proven head coach....that can come in here and win immediately (and take advantage of all UNT has to offer) I don't see how UTSA sustains this 1 year of success they've had. A ten year deal after 1 year. CRAZY.

Maybe I'm just scarred by the "Littrell to KState" thing. 

But I see why UTSA did it....there's nothing there that says "hey, if we lose a hot young coach, no problem we have enough here to keep this rolling." We have that here, even though we maybe didn't realize it (and hopefully Baker learned from the LIttrell situation.) I will NEVER again worry about losing a coach to a P5, especially will never want the AD to over extend  to keep a guy. Unless this guy has us beating winning P5s and winning conference championships and NY6 Bowls and ranked consistently. If you're not that guy, then good luck a a KState or TTech, we're good here and have a situation that will allow us to get an even better coach when you leave. UTSA doesn't have that. And in less that 1 year, we could easily be in a better position then they are and now they're on the hook for the next 10 years or expensive buy out.

Traylor may end up being the man but if you think that it's all based on hope. He still has to get kids to UT San Antonio. They still don't have their own stadium. Their facilities aren't great. I feel like all the hype surrounding them could be gone in 1 year.

• Upvote 3

7.5 mil is doable if a P5 really wants him. That figure drops after each passing year.

i think he deserves this more than SL deserved his extension, but I still can’t help thinking this will also not pan out favorably for the UKFC football program.

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 2

27 minutes ago, greenminer said:

7.5 mil is doable if a P5 really wants him. That figure drops after each passing year.

i think he deserves this more than SL deserved his extension, but I still can’t help thinking this will also not pan out favorably for the UKFC football program.

One can only hope. If there was any fan base that needs to be brought down to earth it is them. Hope this comes back to burn them hard. 

• Eye Roll 1

I don’t know their roster all that well, but how many in the 2deep are kids he brought in vs Frank Wilson?  At least the most important player on the field is Wilson’s (the QB, duh).

I still get it.  We’d literally kill to have a season start 8-0.  Apogee would be standing room only every week.  I’m surprised he agreed to that buyout.  I was expecting him to leave for P5 this year.

• Upvote 1

None of the 8 opponents UTSA has beaten so far his year have a winning record. Illinois, their P5 win is 3&6, they stomped Lamar, and of their remaining schedule only UTEP and UAB have winning records. Besides them the two cupcakes left with losing records are So. Miss and UNT.

• Upvote 2

Littrell got his extension without having proven that he was for real. He had potential, but also always had some flaws. The first extension made sense. The second one was early and -more importantly -overly beneficial to him. He was already paid among the top 2 coaches in C-USA, but he had never gotten within 20 points of actually winning it. And yet this contract would still not have kept him from leaving.

Traylor is also mostly potential for now, but he does look better than Littrell did at the time. more importantly, he was fairly cheap before this contract (850k roundabout), so a real upping was needed for both sides. This contract does bind UTSA. But at least it does a reaaally good job of making sure UTSA also gets what it deserves if he is bought out. The sad part about Littrells contract was that plan A was also not well executed. If he'd a left NT would have likely gotten less than 3 million. It wasn't even all that prohibitive. Especially if WB left, in which case it was like cut in half.

The primary problem here was, that the initial contract was already an overpay. That meant that NT had fairly little leverage when trying to prolong him while also making sure that the buyout situation was symmetrical. Because if you are the agent, why agree to a much higher buyout, if all you get is a 15% salary raise. You double the salary that is a different story.

Edited by outoftown

6 minutes ago, wardly said:

None of the 8 opponents UTSA has beaten so far his year have a winning record. Illinois, their P5 win is 3&6, they stomped Lamar, and of their remaining schedule only UTEP and UAB have winning records. Besides them the two cupcakes left with losing records are So. Miss and UNT.

Seems risky. Maybe some don't see it but this looks very similar to the Seth Littrell situation. I know Littrell wasn't 8-0 to start the season but he had 2 years of 9 win football against his soft schedule. If the schedule had been different that year, he could've started 7-0. What if UAB and UTEP beat UTSA? Could easily happen. I guess UTSA doesn't really have a choice...not sure they can just roll in the next guy and keep up this momentum but man....Traylor sure seems to be overrated at this point. "We've seen 15 games....good enough for ten years" seem super risky. Is there any UTSA fan that has concerns about this extension? 

• Upvote 2

Hang on....I just looked at this.

Jeff Traylor has never beaten an FBS team with a winning record? 

He was 7-5 last year during Covid. His best win was against 5-5 La Tech and this year 4-4 Memphis.  

A guy that doesn't have one win against a winning FBS team just got a 10 year extension. 

Yikes.

They just moved all their chips to the table and are now going to have to cross their fingers for several years.....

• Upvote 5
  • Haha 1

10 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

Seems risky. Maybe some don't see it but this looks very similar to the Seth Littrell situation. I know Littrell wasn't 8-0 to start the season but he had 2 years of 9 win football against his soft schedule. If the schedule had been different that year, he could've started 7-0. What if UAB and UTEP beat UTSA? Could easily happen. I guess UTSA doesn't really have a choice...not sure they can just roll in the next guy and keep up this momentum but man....Traylor sure seems to be overrated at this point. "We've seen 15 games....good enough for ten years" seem super risky. Is there any UTSA fan that has concerns about this extension? 

Hmm.  I don't think this is likely.   
I mean, you can't count out Bill Clark, but UTSA needs to be careful with either FAU or Marshall (or heaven forbid they have to play Zappe & WKY again!) in the CCG.
Don't be like the 2011 Houston team (Sumlin's last) that came in way overconfident & lost their shot at a NY6 game to USM.

9 minutes ago, TheColonyEagle said:

He was 7-5 last year during Covid. His best win was against 5-5 La Tech and this year 4-4 Memphis.  

A guy that doesn't have one win against a winning FBS team just got a 10 year extension. 

Yikes.

They just moved all their chips to the table and are now going to have to cross their fingers for several years.....

Well,
He's about to get win #1 this weekend.   
Of course, the team he's going to beat got to 6-1 using smoke & mirrors as well, but by the end of the season, if NT, Rice & UAB do their jobs, may be exposed as the fraud .500 (at best) team they are.

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Well,
He's about to get win #1 this weekend.   
Of course, the team he's going to beat got to 6-1 using smoke & mirrors as well, but by the end of the season, if NT, Rice & UAB do their jobs, may be exposed as the fraud .500 (at best) team they are.

Point is…..not bad for Traylor and his agent.   Well done. 

time will tell if it’s good for UTSA

• Upvote 1

21 hours ago, wardly said:

I know of another university in Texas that did the same thing after their coach had back to back 9 win seasons. How did that work out?

You’re forgetting. We are North Texas where discernment is not a contributing factor when hiring head coaches or extending their contract with a pay increase.  

Edited by meangreenbob

4 hours ago, MeanGreenDan said:

I'm just happy this means there is one less team that is similar to us in size and budget who will be looking for a new coach this off-season. Helps us, even if just a little bit, when we begin our search. 

As others have noted, that buyout is not nearly enough to stop a P5 who really wants him.  But it is plenty to put extra cash in UTSA's hand when they go looking for Traylor's replacement.

• Upvote 1

Well.. I'm glad UTSA has an administration as stupid as UNT's.  Giving a massive extension to a guy who has had one good (half of a) year against an extremely, extremely weak schedule is insane.   It might pay off, but I wouldn't gamble that with my own money.  Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Edited by MeanGreenTeeth
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Man. Short memories. Yeah did you forget getting destroyed in the CUSA Championship game? The two bowl blowouts prior to the extension? The multiple second half collapses within those two 9 winning seasons? There were plenty of red flags but people gave him the benefit of the doubt because yeah you’re right he was the first guy to do it since Hayden Fry 

I may have missed this but how many bowl wins and conference championships did Traylor have before this extension? I can’t seem to find any.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

How very Darrell Dickey of him.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1