UTSA Extends Traylor

Green Mean

2 hours ago, ADLER said:

The guaranteed money could mean that they could wind up with their tail over a barrel.

I'd rather us offer a very lucrative incentive based contract, something like 1 million a year plus $400K for every win past 5.

That $3.8 million for an undefeated regular season, another $400K for CCG win, and another $400K for a bowl win.

Yes, that could be an enormous amount of money by our standards if we were to win a national championship, but I think it is also an acceptable risk. It's North Texas, the surge in ticket sales and alumni donations would easily offset the costs.

I think that’s the move. I’m all about paying a coach that has earned it rather than paying for potential. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Good for them. Not sure where the money is coming from. 

For those that think this means he will be these long term, FAU did something very similar for Lane Kiffin. 

They'd better step up sales of 10 piece extra crispy buckets. 

• Upvote 2
  • Eye Roll 1

I have said for a while I am all in favor of the "Michigan" model but this depends on where your getting the coach from. If this is a substantial move up, say Carthel or Keeler, this works. If you trying to bring in someone not working - depends on his other options. Trying to hire someone away from a current HC job ??  Great idea, but not sure it's being used enough to work.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

There has got to be someone who has stepped up to bankroll this at UTSA. Looks like they will be at least doubling their payroll.

San Antonio is a super large city with many corporations and high paid execs.  Many are utsa Alumni.  I feel sure plenty of  money is there.

• Upvote 5
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Eye Roll 1

We don’t know if he can recruit to UT San Antonio yet. Because he hasn’t. He still has to convince kids to come to that school. 

I wonder if Tech fans feel like KState fans felt when Littrell signed the extension here. Because in 3 years, Tech fans could very easily be as relieved as KState fans probably are. 

you never know. 

• Upvote 4
  • Confused 1

4 hours ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Good for them. Not sure where the money is coming from. 

For those that think this means he will be these long term, FAU did something very similar for Lane Kiffin. 

Yep the only thing this guaranteed is that he isn’t leaving middling P5 programs like Texas Tech, KSU, Colorado or Utah.

3 hours ago, wardly said:

I know of another university in Texas that did the same thing after their coach had back to back 9 win seasons. How did that work out?

Really?  SL record here never got close to 15-5 overall.  Seth also doesn’t have a Recuriter of the year award from a P5 conference.  From the all the data available it looks like Traylor is a better head coach.  And Traylor has more more experience than Seth.  So this isn’t the same.  North Texas extended SL twice without every being this deep into the season undefeated.  Most like they will end the season with 10+ wins (they are already 8-0).  Absolutely no comparison.  Our extension of SL was dumb and short sighted.  I called it at the time but even then I didn’t expect it to go this bad.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, El Paso Eagle said:

In case another school wants him -

New $7.5 million buyout per CBS Sports

UTSA protecting their interest 

For context, the Lane Kiffin deal was a 2 mil buyout. I think the UTSA buyout drops a little each year, but it's substantially more than the Lane deal.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Our extension of SL was dumb and short sighted.

The one after two 9-win seasons in a row?

I think Hayden Fry was the last coach that achieved that here.

If there was ever a football coach here that deserved one, it seems SL did.

Extending also shows the coaching world that we were willing to extend after some winning seasons. I think this would make the job more attractive? We just need to understand that not everything is going to work out like the contracts are drawn.

• Upvote 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Yep the only thing this guaranteed is that he isn’t leaving middling P5 programs like Texas Tech, KSU, Colorado or Utah.

Really?  SL record here never got close to 15-5 overall.  Seth also doesn’t have a Recuriter of the year award from a P5 conference.  From the all the data available it looks like Traylor is a better head coach.  And Traylor has more more experience than Seth.  So this isn’t the same.  North Texas extended SL twice without every being this deep into the season undefeated.  Most like they will end the season with 10+ wins (they are already 8-0).  Absolutely no comparison.  Our extension of SL was dumb and short sighted.  I called it at the time but even then I didn’t expect it to go this bad.  

Time will tell.

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, MeanMag said:

The one after two 9-win seasons in a row?

I think Hayden Fry was the last coach that achieved that here.

If there was ever a football coach here that deserved one, it seems SL did.

Extending also shows the coaching world that we were willing to extend after some winning seasons. I think this would make the job more attractive? We just need to understand that not everything is going to work out like the contracts are drawn.

Man. Short memories. Yeah did you forget getting destroyed in the CUSA Championship game? The two bowl blowouts prior to the extension? The multiple second half collapses within those two 9 winning seasons? There were plenty of red flags but people gave him the benefit of the doubt because yeah you’re right he was the first guy to do it since Hayden Fry 

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

14 minutes ago, wardly said:

Time will tell.

Three of his wins were against Southland Conference teams, and he has one win over a P5 program, Illinois. Out side of a win against Memphis, his other 10 were against CUSA teams. He certainly has the background to be a great coach but I don't know that I would have committed $28 million over 10 years based upon a 15 & 5 record primarily against cream puffs. However, UTSA certainly does and I hope he does very well as he is certainly a benchmark for us to compare our coach against. As far a calling Littrel's extension a mistake, you were in the minority as if memory serves most of us were glad to have wrapped him up. Little did we know.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Salsa_Verde said:

Man. Short memories. Yeah did you forget getting destroyed in the CUSA Championship game? The two bowl blowouts prior to the extension? The multiple second half collapses within those two 9 winning seasons? There were plenty of red flags but people gave him the benefit of the doubt because yeah you’re right he was the first guy to do it since Hayden Fry 

I remember all of it. My point is - regardless of if there's a reasonable argument for the extension (and I think there was), you enter into every agreement with the understanding things may not go as planned and that's why there are mechanics for those scenarios built into the contract.

UNT should be okay with exercising the mechanics and payouts laid out in the current contract and move on... unless UNT can't... and that's why all of you are concerned over a decision years ago extending a coach after a couple 9 win seasons.

I feel like this is something UNT should be able to pay their way out of - because why would UNT take the risk if they couldn't pay? If you want to play the game - this could happen, no?

Do you think it should not have been a situation UNT got into because UNT is not able to pay the way out of it?

This UTSA extension says: "We have money to take risks". I want UNT to say, "We took a risk and we have money to pay for it and move on."

Edited by MeanMag
  • Lovely Take 1

9 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

Not to mention a TXHSFB stadium named after him. Traylor is a damn high school legend in East Texas. Seth and Traylor walk into a high school at the same time looking to talk to a recruit…. We don’t stand a snowman chance in hell

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 1