UTSA Extends Traylor

Green Mean

With a nationally ranked football program in the midst of a historic season, The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) and head football coach Jeff Traylor have signed a contract extension through 2031 valued at $28 million. Traylor's annual salary will average $2.8 million, in addition to potential bonuses, and the university will increase the salary pool for assistant coaches and support staff.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Oh Boy! 1
  • Eye Roll 1

29 minutes ago, Green Mean said:

With a nationally ranked football program in the midst of a historic season, The University of Texas at San Antonio (UTSA) and head football coach Jeff Traylor have signed a contract extension through 2031 valued at $28 million. Traylor's annual salary will average $2.8 million, in addition to potential bonuses, and the university will increase the salary pool for assistant coaches and support staff.

Things just got real interesting in Lubbock.

• Upvote 1

On 10/31/2021 at 5:00 PM, denton_days said:

That's insane. A real wake-up call to what we should be paying. I'm sure our next coach will have to be in the same area as that. 

The guaranteed money could mean that they could wind up with their tail over a barrel.

I'd rather us offer a very lucrative incentive based contract, something like 1 million a year plus $400K for every win past 5.

That's $3.8 million for an undefeated regular season, another $400K for CCG win, and another $400K for a bowl win.

Yes, that could be an enormous amount of money by our standards if we were to win a national championship, but I think it is also an acceptable risk. It's North Texas, the surge in ticket sales and alumni donations would easily offset the costs.

Edited by ADLER
  • Upvote 6

29 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Good for them. Not sure where the money is coming from. 

For those that think this means he will be these long term, FAU did something very similar for Lane Kiffin. 

The colonel opened up the vault in Kentucky. I heard he had bags of money under the secret recipe. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

So... finally Littrell not highest paid coach in C-USA anymore.

For UTSA this is a pretty big gamble that could pay off in multiple ways or hurt them in one way. The most likely way it pays off: Traylor leaves anyway and then UTSA just got a BUNCH of money they can invest in the next coach and staff. Secondly it might be enough to ward of the vultures for a year or two and he keeps being successful, in which case it was worth it, and you'll still have a good buyout then.

However if he fails to keep the momentum up, that is when this bites you. Almost unfireable then for a school lke UTSA. I take it this bill is footed by a new donor they may have unearthed.

NT overall has to at least contemplate Traylor being good for a long time. And if he leaves, it will definitely now only be to a P5 job. No G5 program handles that kind of buyout plus a raise in salary on top of it.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 3

Steps up the pressure for UNT to make a great hire and a great recruiter. When it comes to the opinion of Texas HS coaches it seems Taylor is on the top of their list as far as relationships with them and I believe they said Patterson was second. Dykes along with Ra'Shaad Samples has the recruiting in high gear at SMU. Wren needs to work some Magic.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

$2.8 mil?

Wow!  They can’t even afford a real Canon, let alone a roof for their cute outdoor “covered” practice field… how are they pulling this off?

They must have someone, or a group stepping up. I had noticed this year they had added several analyst to their football team. The are giving him (based on the average) a $1.9-2M a year raise. Combine that with increase pool for assistants, your talking the neighborhood of and additional 2.5M a year in salaries alone.

image.png.50a1da2e6edd10a089175a14e3309279.png

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, outoftown said:

And if he leaves, it will definitely now only be to a P5 job. No G5 program handles that kind of buyout plus a raise in salary on top of it.

Yeah, I gotta think he has a specific place in mind that he wants to go to and the job isn't open yet, but could be after next year or the year after.  This keeps his options open, gets the payday all coaches aspire to, and he doesn't have to make a one or two-year pit stop at Tech (if that was going to be a thing)..... Johnny Jones always said the only school he'd leave for was LSU, mad respect for that, and I think MG Nation was in full support when he did get that job. (BTW - Our own MG HOFer Josh White is an Asst. on his staff now at Texas Southern!  👀 for the future)

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Just in - Video when Wren and Neil learned of the extension

WpdkYn.gif

HELL YEAH!!!!! Love it!!! 🤣🤣.LOL - Got me fired up, let's go!!!

For real though, it's about competition across the board..... people making moves..... stakes have been raised..... WB has got to be in Jerry Jones mode now: what ever the cost, no matter the price, we will never be out done, we're coming for everybody!!!

We're going to step up to the plate here real soon, and we'll have our moment to get fired up about the future!!!

#GMG

• Upvote 3