TCU fires Patterson

meangreen11

5 minutes ago, Marty said:

He’s been very critical of TCU fans, could only imagine how he’d treat the ones at NT.

At the the issue with TCU fans is that if you want to compete at the highest levels of P5 you have to fund it. Does not feel he was getting supported for his efforts

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, Cooley said:

Patterson looks beat down and is wealthy. I’d sit out at least 1-2 years and see how I feel later. ESPN always seem to be the landing spot for ex coaches. Not sure he would be up to a rebuild job. 

This is spot on.   20 years of coaching at TCU.   He seems to be burned out a bit.   I would bet that he takes a break to decide where he wants to go from here.

Edited by akriesman
  • Upvote 5

1 hour ago, MeanGreen22 said:

I think Gary would be a solid plan if you don’t have a candidate that you feel excited about. He’s definitely at the end of his career and will be picky but if he’s down to be that stopgap for the American transition, I’d be interested. 

He’s 61 years old 

• Upvote 2
  • Oh Boy! 1

8 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

So had Mack. Time away will tell him whether he still has the motivation or if he is going to glide into retirement. 

I think this thing that makes Mack still so good is that he's staying in coaching because he loves the game and not because of anger and wanting to show people they were wrong. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

We’d miss you…Gary Patterson would be a dream hire here. A Hayden Fry type hire—just what we need.

Please God, make this happen. We’ve wandered our desert. Please help us reach the Promised Land!!

Personality wise, he's more like Dan McCarney than Hayden Fry. But I get your meaning.  Only Coach Pattersons non-football talent is playing the guitar. Dan McCarneys was Vodka taster.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

10 hours ago, Pseudo Nym said:

AD gets fired, and that big booster becomes the Jerry Jones of their program.

Great if you got it, kind of over for you in many ways if you don't.

Some speculation here but I think we are all whistling past the grave yard if we don’t recognize a huge restructure of revenue college sports is coming.  I just want to have fun watching my team legitimately compete until that reckoning hits the fan. 🤷🏽‍♂️

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Greenrex said:

I find myself a bit wary of being the school that serves up yet another Golden Parachute Retirement Plan. With all due respect for Coach Patterson, it's a no for me.

I wouldn’t say flat out no but he would have to actively pursue the job for me to consider it.  I think for him our location should be a no brainer if he wants to continue coaching.  How motivated would he be by just winning, sending overlooked recruits to the NFL and winning AAC/CUSA championships is the question.  Those are the high water marks here.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

A Hayden Fry type hire—just what we need.

Fry was 44 when he came to NT, Patteron is 61.  4 years older than Danny Mac when he came here.  

I'm not saying it would be a terrible move, but I have heard from TCU boosters than GP has really stepped back in recruiting and day to day operations.  

• Upvote 5

1 minute ago, Cerebus said:

Fry was 44 when he came to NT, Patteron is 61.  4 years older than Danny Mac when he came here.  

I'm not saying it would be a terrible move, but I have heard from TCU boosters than GP has really stepped back in recruiting and day to day operations.  

Two typos in one post? Sounds like GP isn’t the only one who has taken a step back. /S

• Upvote 2