TCU fires Patterson

meangreen11

We can't afford him. He won't come here. But if he did, I would not attend a single game and I've been a season ticket holder for over 25 years. I know several people who have worked with him and I've heard nothing but truly terrible things. Add that to the way he acts every time they lose, the way he lashes out at the fans, his players, players from other teams, coaches from other teams, etc. No thank you. Wins aren't everything. 

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Ray 1
  • RV 1
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1
  • Skeptical Eagle 1
  • Oh Boy! 2
  • Pissed 1
  • Eye Roll 4
  • Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, NorthTexasWeLove said:

Age changes people, their belly in their fire/thirst for success. With his career aging, and with the ever-changing college football landscape I would not need to know, but have to know is he capable or even willing to keep that fire lit to make UNT great? Or has it dimmed? He can meat sweat all down his shirt every game. That doesn't answer my question. 

And change can provide a really big rejuvenation too.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, MrAlien said:

I saw an interview he did right before the season started and he seemed a bit burnt out and not at all excited about the season. 

I think we saw the same interview..... I feel for the dude, he spent a huge part of his life resurrecting TCU Football and now he's got to compete with booster $$ and endorsement deals, the goal posts got moved on everyone with the NIL stuff.  I saw group supporting UT, calling themselves "Burnt Ends" and they're planning on allotting $15k every year for each tight end on the roster with an eye to funding 4-6 of them, paying for appearances, interviews, who the hell knows what else.  The NIL war in college football will simply come down to $$$, either you have it or you don't. 

There will be a list of top endorsement deals by player and by team, that'll become one of the top, if not, the top metric players will base their decisions on in the future and it's a simple numbers game.  College athletics has been reduced to where can players make the most money, playing opportunity and development next, academics more than likely won't factor in (of-course they'll repeat the talking point in some form: ".......they've got great academics as well, so it's a no brainer.").  Make no mistake, folks like TIm Fertitta in Houston will be in a position to say, "My companies are paying a million dollars a year in endorsement deals across UH athletics, fire this coach, hire this guy" and what's an AD to do?  Balk and the money stops and the recruits go elsewhere, the coaches get pissed, AD gets fired, and that big booster becomes the Jerry Jones of their program.

Great if you got it, kind of over for you in many ways if you don't.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Eye Roll 1

5 minutes ago, Pseudo Nym said:

I think we saw the same interview..... I feel for the dude, he spent a huge part of his life resurrecting TCU Football and now he's got to compete with booster $$ and endorsement deals, the goal posts got moved on everyone with the NIL stuff.  I saw group supporting UT, calling themselves "Burnt Ends" and they're planning on allotting $15k every year for each tight end on the roster with an eye to funding 4-6 of them, paying for appearances, interviews, who the hell knows what else.  The NIL war in college football will simply come down to $$$, either you have it or you don't. 

There will be a list of top endorsement deals by player and by team, that'll become one of the top, if not, the top metric players will base their decisions on in the future and it's a simple numbers game.  College athletics has been reduced to where can players make the most money, playing opportunity and development next, academics more than likely won't factor in (of-course they'll repeat the talking point in some form: ".......they've got great academics as well, so it's a no brainer.").  Make no mistake, folks like TIm Fertitta in Houston will be in a position to say, "My companies are paying a million dollars a year in endorsement deals across UH athletics, fire this coach, hire this guy" and what's an AD to do?  Balk and the money stops and the recruits go elsewhere, the coaches get pissed, AD gets fired, and that big booster becomes the Jerry Jones of their program.

Great if you got it, kind of over for you in many ways if you don't.

Very cleanly said. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rudy said:

LOLz. People are actually against bringing in a proven coach from the P5. Good ol Old Denton. 

Yes if we can, get him in. 

No, people are wary of bringing in a coach that may just be worn out and near the end of his career. 

3 hours ago, El Paso Eagle said:

Just wonder what you base that on? Sounds a lot like what people said when Texas ran Mack out.

And Mack took off a couple of years and worked a studio job instead of jumping right back into the fire. 

• Upvote 5
  • Eye Roll 1

14 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

No, people are wary of bringing in a coach that may just be worn out and near the end of his career. 

And Mack took off a couple of years and worked a studio job instead of jumping right back into the fire. 

I could be 100% wrong on Patterson but I think he still has the fire, I just think like in many cases there comes a time to move on after a long stay. I believe he has done a very good job building up the program and he understands the changing landscape of P5 (Pay to play) ball and he called out the boosters for a reality check. Perhaps some of them don't like being called out or the administration didn't like the way he did it. Will he move on? Who knows. Could we afford him? Who knows. What I said yes to is the question of if he was available would you want him and yes I would. 

• Upvote 1

I think he would be a great hire, provided he takes one year off first (with maybe doing some analyst work) to refill the tank of motivation and fire. unfortunately with that, it does likely not work out for him and NT timewise.

All that said, how hillarious would it be, if TCU hires dykes, SMU hires Traylor, and NT hires Patterson, and then whoever is the new coach at UTSA hires Litrell as a coordinator. Not gonna go down like this, but to me it would be hillarious.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, outoftown said:

I think he would be a great hire, provided he takes one year off first (with maybe doing some analyst work) to refill the tank of motivation and fire. unfortunately with that, it does likely not work out for him and NT timewise.

All that said, how hillarious would it be, if TCU hires dykes, SMU hires Traylor, and NT hires Patterson, and then whoever is the new coach at UTSA hires Litrell as a coordinator. Not gonna go down like this, but to me it would be hillarious.

That's a bunch of inbreeding...could result in an offspring with twelve toes and an upside down nose.

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1