Rewatching Rice

97and03

I missed the first half yesterday so I decided to rewatch the game. (Also may have had a couple beers so some of the end is a little fuzzy…)

Just finished the first half. Wow our defense was flying around and seems to really have bought into the system. The run defense was strong.

The penalties are enraging. So undisciplined. 
Can’t believe how many injuries we have. Is it the S&C program or just snake bitten this year? 
Aune is really not very good but thankfully Rice dropped two INTs in the half. 
Did so much better in short yardage.

Edited by 97and03
  • Upvote 7

5 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

At least we didn’t have 3 penalties against the coaching staff this week.  

The grades I give on the STDs of UNT:

Selfless - D

Tough - C

Disciplined - F

I might up the grades a little 

D

B-

D

• Upvote 2

Torrey doesn’t seem fully healthy but he is still running hard and we could probably use him in the passing game more effectively. 
Also on the first half, I have seen a couple people saying that we won in part bc we faced their backup. I don’t buy that bc we knocked out the starter. It wasn’t just random. 

• Upvote 3

Dline has been really solid. Novil might not have had great stats (haven’t looked yet) but he and the other DTs did a good job jamming the middle of the line up. 
I was surprised when they moved Gaddie to safety last year. This game proved it was the right move. Same with 25 moving to LB when he arrived here after playing safety at Citadel. Definitely not a D1 safety. 

• Upvote 2

6 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

The unsportsmanlike conduct call on 26 to extend the drive was stupid but really ticky tak. 

I recall being upset with him for this and the game tying TD watching live but on the replay it seemed like the foul was pretty weak and he actually had good coverage on the TD but the receiver just made a great play to battle for the ball and pull it in. Sanders actually ended up standing around a bit and the WR scored easily after that. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

The unsportsmanlike conduct call on 26 to extend the drive was stupid but really ticky tak. 

There was no replay or maybe i was too busy hitting my head on the table, but what WAS the actual offense? Did he showboat? Or talk trash? 

I thought it was CUSA trying to create bowl eligible teams.. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

I still don’t understand why we didn’t kick almost immediately once inside the 10. Seems like it would have been safer to kick on third 

I think given how well we were running the ball on the last couple of drives that it seemed pretty sure we were going to be able to get the TD.  So, the only risk is a T/O which is probably close to the risk of a bad snap and/or failure on the FG.  Now, if SL had called a pass during this, I would have punched my screen.

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, SteaminWillieBeamin said:

There was no replay or maybe i was too busy hitting my head on the table, but what WAS the actual offense? Did he showboat? Or talk trash? 

I thought it was CUSA trying to create bowl eligible teams.. 

They showed it once.  He stood near/over the receiver for a bit.  I wouldn't be surprised that the real reason for the call was that he also said something.

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, kj86 said:

Was able to concentrate on really watching this game and two things really stood out.

1.  Those unsportsmanlike penalties were a direct reflection of bad coaching.

2.  Though he can run, Aune's accuracy is...well, there is no accuracy.

With Aune, and not saying Ruder would do better - Have you seen anything that make you believe that if we were playing a .500 level team he is capable of putting the team on his back and leading them to a victory? At best he's a game manager, and when were hit with injuries at key positions that's not going to be good enough.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, 97and03 said:

26 is Ridge Texada, a walk-on transfer, forced into action due to injuries. I thought he played pretty well considering. On Rice’s last TD, he tried to jump the route for the interception and, as mentioned earlier, the WR made a nice play. 

• Upvote 3